Any former sundown towns in your state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:17:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Any former sundown towns in your state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Any former sundown towns in your state?  (Read 1723 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2021, 09:47:19 PM »

In Illinois, I don't think there are anymore sundown towns here (Thank God!). However, examples of such former ones definitely include Cicero, Deerfield, and Anna.

Is that actually true? IIRC almost all of the Black inhabitants as of 2010 were residents at the Choate Developmental Center according to James Loewen.

2020 racial statistics at the micro level are unreliable due to demographic smudging, but are broadly similar, suggesting that the town actually might have gotten slightly whiter in the last decade since the census overestimates demographic groups in areas where they are less frequent. If this is the case, it's likely the result of turnover at the Choate Center, but still doesn't say anything good about Anna's embrace of racial inclusion.

It's hard to say with certainty but it seems pretty likely IMO that Anna is still a sundown town.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »

Historically, Groton is the only one I know of but it's a very different town today.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »

CA probably had some, unfortunately, but most likely zero exist here today.

Edit: This article details it all, in all its sad detail.

What about Klantee?

To be honest I couldn't read the article on my computer for some reason; it's possible they didn't mention all the sundown towns. The point is, CA, like most other states, has/had sundown towns.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 02:55:17 PM »

Minden sounds a "sundown siren" at 6pm almost every evening since 1917, originally signifying that members of the Washoe Indian tribe were required to leave town by 6:30pm or face jail or fine.[7] Douglas County fully repealed its sundown ordinance in the mid-1970s. A Minden ordinance meant to clarify the siren's intent went on the books in 2007, but Minden continues to sound a siren every evening.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 03:44:03 PM »

What about Klantee?

To be honest I couldn't read the article on my computer for some reason; it's possible they didn't mention all the sundown towns. The point is, CA, like most other states, has/had sundown towns.

I wasn't referencing the article, I meant that Klantee is a sundown town in CA today.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »

Wtf is wrong with them?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »

In Illinois, I don't think there are anymore sundown towns here (Thank God!). However, examples of such former ones definitely include Cicero, Deerfield, and Anna.

Is that actually true? IIRC almost all of the Black inhabitants as of 2010 were residents at the Choate Developmental Center according to James Loewen.

2020 racial statistics at the micro level are unreliable due to demographic smudging, but are broadly similar, suggesting that the town actually might have gotten slightly whiter in the last decade since the census overestimates demographic groups in areas where they are less frequent. If this is the case, it's likely the result of turnover at the Choate Center, but still doesn't say anything good about Anna's embrace of racial inclusion.

It's hard to say with certainty but it seems pretty likely IMO that Anna is still a sundown town.

I'm sort of unclear on what "sundown town" means. The name suggests (at least to me) a very literal definition—that is to say, a town where black people are not allowed to be present after sundown—but that seems pretty clearly not to be what you mean here. I've driven through Anna in the late afternoon, and while it wasn't dark yet and I didn't get out of the car in any case, it strikes me as unlikely that the very fact of my presence in town would have been illegal.

Wikipedia has this to say:

In 2019, sociologist Heather O'Connell wrote that sundown towns are "(primarily) a thing of the past," but writer Morgan Jerkins disagreed, saying: "Sundown towns have never gone away." Historian James W. Loewen, author of Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, notes persisting effects of sundown towns' violently enforced segregation even after they may have been integrated to a small degree, a phenomenon he calls "second-generation sundown towns." For example, Ferguson, MO was a sundown town from 1940 to 1960, but now has a 67% black population and is no longer a sundown town. However, it could be classified as a "second-generation sundown town" because it has a largely white police force that practices blatant racial profiling, also known as "DWB policing."

This, too, indicates that the term "sundown town" is being used in a figurative rather than literal definition. Given that "sundown town" has more acute connotations than something vaguer like "institutionally racist town" would, this sort of usage strikes me as irresponsible.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »

What about Klantee?

I wasn't referencing the article, I meant that Klantee is a sundown town in CA today.

Oh. Well, I'm surprised CA still has sundown towns going. I'd imagine only a couple of Deep South states or so to have them.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »

What about Klantee?

This doesn't seem to be the case looking at 2010 demographic data.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 10:55:24 PM »

There aren't any sundown towns today. "Sundown town" does not mean "place that is pretty racist."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies