The Keys to the White House : 1912 America on the Edge (interest)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Keys to the White House : 1912 America on the Edge (interest)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Keys to the White House : 1912 America on the Edge (interest)  (Read 705 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »

The year is 1912 and of the last 50 years, there has only been one Democratic President, the 22nd and 24th President Grover Cleveland of New York. However, as tensions rise in the Republican Party as the Party tears itself in two between the progressives and the business elites, the Democrats look to take prime opportunity and not look this gift horse in the mouth. Despite President Taft, former President Roosevelt, New Jersey Governor Woodrow Wilson, and Speaker of the House Champ Clark stating they aren't interested in running for President, there is a major crowd of candidates for both. At the same time, Europe is on the precipice of war as the Balkans devolve into War between the many ethnic groups looking for freedom from the Ottoman Empire while the Entente of Britain, France, and Russia challenge the Central Powers of Austria, Germany, and Italy. Thus, the 1912 elections are set to be truly transformative and you will be able to draft candidates for Local, State, and Federal offices and we will also sim the elections using the keys. I will give an example of the use of points to influence an election:

Quote from:
I would like to have Woodrow Wilson run for Senate in New Jersey in 1913 for 2 points

This would make Woodrow Wilson run for Senate in New Jersey in 1913 and would set you back 2 points. This game is mainly about world-building and having fun.

Hello! I am here today to potentially introduce a spin off to JacksonHitchcock's 1948 Keys to the White House Game. Now, he leaves a great explanation of what the Keys are on his original game thread, but to put it simply, the keys are steps needed to win the electoral college and if 6 or more are true, then the incumbent party will lose the election, though it's only around to predict the National Popular Vote and not the Electoral College, meaning someone could have 6 or more true keys but still win somehow. Here is each key and for each election, the key that is true will be bolded :

Quote from:
1. Party Mandate: After the midterm elections, the incumbent party holds more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives than after the previous midterm elections. This Key cannot be altered through player point expenditures​
2. Contest: There is no serious contest for the incumbent party nomination. This Key cannot be altered through player point expenditures
3. Incumbency: The incumbent party candidate is the sitting president. This Key cannot be altered through player point expenditures​
4. Third party: There is no significant third party or independent campaign.
5. Short term economy: The economy is not in recession during the election campaign.​
6. Long term economy: Real per capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth during the previous two terms.​
7. Policy change: The incumbent administration effects major changes in national policy.​
8. Social unrest: There is no sustained social unrest during the term.​
9. Scandal: The incumbent administration is untainted by major scandal.​
10. Foreign/military failure: The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs.​
11. Foreign/military success: The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or military affairs.​
12. Incumbent charisma: The incumbent party candidate is charismatic or a national hero. This Key cannot be altered through player point expenditures​
13. Challenger charisma: The challenging party candidate is not charismatic or a national hero. This Key cannot be altered through player point expenditures

Points can be earned through a lot of ways, the most common ways on AH.com are wikiboxes and roleplay.

Cost of Offices:
Elected to State Legislature: Free
Elected to HoR: 1 for 4 years
Elected to Senate or Governorship: 2, and at least 4 years spent in either the state legislature or House of Representatives
Appointed to a low-level Cabinet position: 3
Name added to Vice-Presidential Ballot: 3
Appointed to a high-level Cabinet position: 4
Name added to Presidential Ballot: 5, and at least 4 years spent in any other elected or appointed office
Name added to Presidential Ballot with no prior experience: 7

Other Point Expenditures:
Boost a major party downballot: 3 points
Boost a minor party downballot: 6 points
Change a Key (Player decides if value is true or negative, can be done once per player every 2 elections): 10

Character Sheet:
While characters are not required to play, I do suggest that you create a character as it will make it easier to roleplay, but you can still earn/spend points if you don't have a created character.

Photo:
Name:
Occupational History:
Bio:

For now, this is just to generate interest and see if anyone would be interested in playing this right now or later down the line. If the thread gets 3-4 or more active players, then we will start on May 20th, 2020 with both the DNC and the RNC and that will be open until 7:30 PM EST on May 23rd, 2020, where I and possibly a co-host will spend the entire next day calculating the results of the convention before posting the 1912 general election thread by 7:30 PM EST on May 24th, 2020 hopefully. We will continue to have three days intervals of turns unless requested otherwise and we will continue onward until either 2020 or 2024, considering the present time we find ourselves in by the end of the 1912 game. For every character added, I'll place it under this wad of text, so thank you for reading and hope to see you play (and for transperency, here's a starred Google Doc for everyone to keep track of who's who : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RUukt64aEOftzST5Z-L8UMBH2DnQS3reenQk7II0bwk/edit?usp=sharing if someone is interested in cohosting, just PM or Discord message me and I'll accept the help, though you wouldn't be allowed to play so to be fair to the players).
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:31:48 PM »

Anyone interested in playing this or should I reserve this idea for later?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »

I am still interested in it. I have had a draft for my character for while, but i have been procrastinating on it. Although i would also like to see if some other people are interested as well, just to make sure i am not alone.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »

I am still interested in it. I have had a draft for my character for while, but i have been procrastinating on it. Although i would also like to see if some other people are interested as well, just to make sure i am not alone.

that is understandable. If you want to show me privately, though, feel free to.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:49:22 AM »

Definitely interested.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »

We'll need one more person before I'll start with the 1912 Conventions. People can join at any time they'd like even after they post.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »

Bump due to the 1948 game being dead.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »

I am still interested. Although it seems that i am only one other than GoTfan that is interested. Perhaps a different election might be more appealing to people?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

I am still interested. Although it seems that i am only one other than GoTfan that is interested. Perhaps a different election might be more appealing to people?

Yeah, I might go with 1940 (without FDR) or I might go to 1932 (with the Democrats having won in 1928 and TR Jr winning the 1924 NY Gov Election). I'll ask which one seems more popular.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies