SENATE BILL: Appalachian Region Development Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Appalachian Region Development Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Appalachian Region Development Act (Passed)  (Read 3527 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: May 31, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how close we are to an administration budget or is that being deferred for later?

I believe Encke just introduced a budget in the House, though it seems to just be last year's budget with no changes to it
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:12:57 AM »

I will say a UBI is probably overkill on this bill yeah
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:08:55 PM »

With regards to the UBI, while I think it is overkill I am not opposed to allowing miners to access early retirement.

Also I do favour giving young people opportunities through job retraining though it should not be mandatory
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »

With regards to the UBI, while I think it is overkill I am not opposed to allowing miners to access early retirement.

Also I do favour giving young people opportunities through job retraining though it should not be mandatory

How would it be mandatory. Are you talking about conditioning some kind of aid or ubi to that?

Yeah I was imagining the retraining tied to the loans and grants and the UBI, which would be very bad indeed
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 03:37:59 AM »

As of  ow there are no job retraining references on the bill so I do not think such an amendment would be necessary for now
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »

Not sure how much it helps, but according to this article, in real life the US government spent $114 billion among all its workforce development and education programs, 34% of which goes to higher education

Not sure what a good number here would be, but if I had to guess, maybe somewhere in the mid single digit billions?

Tbh we should also be slightly concerned about the deficit and what not.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 03:14:11 AM »

Sponsoring Ted's amendment
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2020, 11:56:22 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

I could have sworn someone introduced an amendment to give this actual funding. If I am not mistaken, this should be the final text of the bill, including the amendment I will introduce now to give this bill actual funding

Quote from: Final Tack amendment
An Act

To increase investment in economic development, environmental reclamation, and other development in localities in the Appalachian Region of Atlasia, and for other purposes.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Appalachian Region Development Act".

Section 2. Definitions

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context —
  (1) the term "eligible applicant" means —
      (a) an entity or individual that has received a loan or loan guarantee under this Act; or
      (b) a cooperative that is eligible to receive a loan or loan guarantee under this Act.
  (2) the term "qualified purpose" shall mean the following —
      (a) the purchase, repair, construction, restoration, or redevelopment, of property or infrastructure, including, but not limited to —
            (A) abandoned mine land, and other approved land;
            (B) abandoned, condemned, blighted property or buildings;
            (C) public roads and sidewalks; and
            (D) public utility poles and underground pipes;
      (b) the cleanup of any lands or water bodies; and
      (c) any other necessary costs for research and development.
  (3) the term "Appalachian region" shall mean —
(a) in Alabama, the counties of Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Clay, Cleburne, Colbert, Coosa, Cullman, De Kalb, Elmore, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Hale, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Macon, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, Pickens, Randolph, St. Clair, Shelby, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, and Winston;
(b) in Georgia, the counties of Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Carroll, Catoosa, Chattooga, Cherokee, Dade, Dawson, Douglas, Elbert, Fannin, Floyd, Forsyth, Franklin, Gilmer, Gordon, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Haralson, Hart, Heard, Jackson, Lumpkin, Madison, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Rabun, Stephens, Towns, Union, Walker, White, and Whitfield;
(c) in Kentucky, the counties of Adair, Bath, Bell, Bourbon, Boyd, Bracken, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Greenup, Harlan, Harrison, Hart, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Mason, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Pendleton, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Wayne, Whitley, and Wolfe;
(d) in Maryland, the counties of Allegany, Garrett, and Washington;
(e) in Mississippi, the counties of Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, Itawamba, Kemper, Lee, Lowndes, Marshall, Monroe, Montgomery, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tippah, Tishomingo, Union, Webster, Winston, and Yalobusha;
(f) in New York, the counties of Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, and Tompkins;
(g) in North Carolina, the counties of Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Caldwell, Cherokee, Clay, Davie, Forsyth, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Stokes, Surry, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin, and Yancey;
(h) in Ohio, the counties of Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Gallia, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mahoning, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Vinton, and Washington;
(i) in Pennsylvania, the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Cameron, Carbon, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Columbia, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Juniata, Lackawanna, Lawrence, Luzerne, Lycoming, McKean, Mercer, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westmoreland, and Wyoming;
(j) in South Carolina, the counties of Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, and Union;
(k) in Tennessee, the counties of Anderson, Bedford, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Cannon, Carter, Claiborne, Clay, Cocke, Coffee, Cumberland, De Kalb, Fentress, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Loudon, McMinn, Macon, Marion, Meigs, Monroe, Moore, Morgan, Overton, Pickett, Polk, Putnam, Rhea, Roane, Rutherford, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Smith, Sullivan, Sumner, Trousdale, Unicoi, Union, Van Buren, Warren, Washington, and White, and Wilson;
(l) in Virginia, the counties of Alleghany, AugustaBath, Bland, Botetourt, Buchanan, Carroll, Clarke, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Frederick, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Highland, Lee, Montgomery, Page, Patrick, Pulaski, Rappahannock, Rockbridge, Rockingham, Russell, Scott, Shenandoah, Smyth, Tazewell, Warren, Washington, Wise, and Wythe; as well as the independent cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Winchester; and
(m) all the counties of West Virginia.

Section 3. Grants

(a) In general. —

Eligible applicants shall be eligible to receive grants for a reasonable amount as determined by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), which shall not be required to be paid back by eligible applicants, except where described in this Act.

(b) Terms. —

The  ARC shall establish such reasonable terms and conditions as necessary to ensure participation and proper use of received funds by eligible applicants.

Section 4. Interest free loans

(a) In general. —

Eligible applicants shall be eligible to receive interest-free loans for a reasonable amount as determined by the  ARC.

(b) Terms. —

The  ARC shall establish such reasonable terms and conditions as necessary to ensure participation, proper use of received funds, and repayment by eligible applicants.

Section 5. Compliance

In the event of any —
  (1) fraud;
  (2) misconduct; or
  (3) other misuse of any grant or loan money received as listed in the signed agreements to receive such grant or loan —
      (a) any such grants or loan money received shall be payed back in full; and
      (b) any failure to do so shall result in further civil and criminal penalties.

Section 6. Appropriations[/b]

There is hereby authorized to carry out this Act $[placeholder] 6 billion for fiscal year 2020, and for each succeeding fiscal year.

Section 7. Effective date

This Act shall take effect immediately on the date of the enactment of this Act.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »

If that is what the House settled on, I am fine with it. Withdrawing my amendment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »

Now that we have settled in the amount of money needed, the next thing to do would be a final vote right?

Motion for a final vote
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 05:57:14 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies