Non-whites are trending republican. Why is this happening?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Non-whites are trending republican. Why is this happening?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Non-whites are trending republican. Why is this happening?  (Read 5390 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »
« edited: May 24, 2020, 10:01:02 PM by SevenEleven »

Latino voters DO care more about immigration than white voters.

Have you even met any Latinos?

Republicans/Republican leaners

The economy   85   
Immigration   84   
Taxes   76   
Healthcare   72   
Gun policy   68   

I would love to hear how you got this idea. Education has been the top Latino priority since, well, ever, pretty much.
Pulaski

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »

Likewise, there is a unifying Southern cultural experience that Black and White Southerners have and do participate in equally.       

Surely if your point were true, we wouldn't see such drastic and continuous discrepancies in voting patterns between southern whites and southern AAs. When southern whites were staunchly Democratic, AAs leaned Republican; now the reverse is true (though suburban southern whites are now trending D). Political leanings are often reflections of cultural and economic realities in a community. Why the discrepancy, if not a drastic cultural divide?

Political party membership is a pretty poor gauge of cultural association (at least in the U.S.); what is a "cultural Republican" or "cultural Democrat"?  Black Democrats in the South are nothing like Democrats in other parts of the country, as evidenced by their relatively conservative views on things like gay marriage and abortion.  

All of that is true, but that also doesn't preclude a big divide in politics between groups in a single area being symptomatic of a larger cultural divide. African Americans in the south were disenfranchised for decades both economically and legally. It's not a big leap to argue that those divisions were reflected in culture, and still are today to a certain degree.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »

Likewise, there is a unifying Southern cultural experience that Black and White Southerners have and do participate in equally.       

Surely if your point were true, we wouldn't see such drastic and continuous discrepancies in voting patterns between southern whites and southern AAs. When southern whites were staunchly Democratic, AAs leaned Republican; now the reverse is true (though suburban southern whites are now trending D). Political leanings are often reflections of cultural and economic realities in a community. Why the discrepancy, if not a drastic cultural divide?

Political party membership is a pretty poor gauge of cultural association (at least in the U.S.); what is a "cultural Republican" or "cultural Democrat"?  Black Democrats in the South are nothing like Democrats in other parts of the country, as evidenced by their relatively conservative views on things like gay marriage and abortion.   

All of that is true, but that also doesn't preclude a big divide in politics between groups in a single area being symptomatic of a larger cultural divide. African Americans in the south were disenfranchised for decades both economically and legally. It's not a big leap to argue that those divisions were reflected in culture, and still are today to a certain degree.

I never said that Southern Whites and Blacks were exactly the same, and there are of course differences.  However, Black American cultural identity is something that was born out of the South and that makes it more similar to Southern White identities than other American White identities.  This isn't negated by a history of conflict
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 10:15:27 PM by SevenEleven »

However, Black American cultural identity is something that was born out of the South and that makes it more similar to Southern White identities than other American White identities.  This isn't negated by a history of conflict

Some aspects come from the South, but not all. Some aspects have roots straight from Africa. Some practices were adopted from or influenced by Southern whites. Some cultural elements have little do with the South (these are the more common ones, in my own personal experience).

Southern Black culture is vastly distinct from overall African American culture, outside of the larger metropolitan areas, especially.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2020, 10:14:55 PM »

However, Black American cultural identity is something that was born out of the South and that makes it more similar to Southern White identities than other American White identities.  This isn't negated by a history of conflict

Some aspects come from the South, but not all. Some aspects have roots straight from Africa. Some practices were adopted from or influenced by Southern whites. Some cultural elements have little do with the South (these are the more common ones, in my own personal experience).

Just out of curiosity, which are those?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »

However, Black American cultural identity is something that was born out of the South and that makes it more similar to Southern White identities than other American White identities.  This isn't negated by a history of conflict

Basketball and hip-hop music are the most obvious ones. You can delve further into street art, house music, Black Pantherism, the Ethiopian influences in the DC area. The list goes on and on.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 11:02:24 PM »

Basketball and hip-hop music are the most obvious ones. You can delve further into street art, house music, Black Pantherism, the Ethiopian influences in the DC area. The list goes on and on.

Basketball and hip-hop aren't really defining hallmarks of African-American culture at this point. Hip-hop has been appropriated to the point where it's become a general cosmopolitan urban thing. Outside the US, I would argue they're both seen as elements of mainstream American culture, at least among young people.

One reason I distinguish between "black" and "African-American" here is because most black people I know IRL aren't descended from former US slaves. A lot are of Caribbean or recent African origin.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »

Basketball and hip-hop aren't really defining hallmarks of African-American culture at this point.

Hmm, I feel like if the famously targeting Disney media conglomerate utilize hip-hop and basketball but not fried chicken, grits, or church, in their Black Panther blockbuster, they must be pretty relevant.

Hip-hop has been appropriated to the point where it's become a general cosmopolitan urban thing. Outside the US, I would argue they're both seen as elements of mainstream American culture, at least among young people.

A cultural item being "appropriated" doesn't remove it from it's origins. That's absurd.

One reason I distinguish between "black" and "African-American" here is because most black people I know IRL aren't descended from former US slaves. A lot are of Caribbean or recent African origin.

I've never been close to any Caribbeans but I know a lot of African Americans and Eritrean and Ethiopian immigrants (one who even likes Trump, I don't get it).
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2020, 02:04:21 AM »

Basketball and hip-hop aren't really defining hallmarks of African-American culture at this point.

Hmm, I feel like if the famously targeting Disney media conglomerate utilize hip-hop and basketball but not fried chicken, grits, or church, in their Black Panther blockbuster, they must be pretty relevant.

Hip-hop has been appropriated to the point where it's become a general cosmopolitan urban thing. Outside the US, I would argue they're both seen as elements of mainstream American culture, at least among young people.

A cultural item being "appropriated" doesn't remove it from it's origins. That's absurd.

I've never been close to any Caribbeans but I know a lot of African Americans and Eritrean and Ethiopian immigrants (one who even likes Trump, I don't get it).

Maybe not everything is about race?

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2020, 02:26:02 AM »

Maybe not everything is about race?

I wish.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2021, 07:29:24 PM »

Non-Whites as a whole are probably trending R simply because the Black share of the non-white vote is decreasing as the Hispanic and Asian population increases.

Back in 1988, Black voters were 65% of non-white voters, and there has been a steady decline in that share.

1992: 65%
1996: 60%
2000: 59%
2004: 54%
2008: 53%
2012: 51%
2016: 47%

2020: 43% according to Catalist. This is probably the biggest factor.

An often forgotten stat is that a higher percentage of black Americans are of Carribean/African origin than say 10-15 years ago, which is probably why the black vote is moving very slowly but surely right. These groups are usually more socially conservative and tend to be more open to voting Republican though I'm sure they still vote Dem at least 75-25.

I'm guessing the 2016->2020 shifts we saw in heavily black areas may have been more due to the ADOS community (think Kim Klacik but for a presidential election?)

As for polls, honestly, we are too far out for ethnicity-specific polls to mean anything. If all three groups trend GOP in 2020, then perhaps we're seeing a trend. But as of right now, I'm very skeptical.

The question is: how much of this was due to COVID (the service and tourism sectors are disproportionately black, Latino, Asian, and mixed-race, and IIRC disposable income among non-white and lower-income Americans actually increased during 2020 thanks to stimulus checks + the CARES Act), and how much of this was a reaction to the complex and diverse ways left-of-center white folks process and respond to their group privillege, both within the D coalition and in broader society?

On the other hand, white liberals often feel motivated to act in racially egalitarian ways to distance themselves from these same negative stereotypes of whiteness. The thinking may go something along the lines of, “Those white people are ‘bad,’ but I want to see myself as a good person.” However, committing to antiracist action is not a straightforward solution, as it is not always effective at staving off the negative emotions that come with acknowledging a legacy of racism. Moreover, this strategy can fall short in actually addressing racial inequality, as it does not alway prioritize the practical needs of people of color over the emotional and psychological needs of white antiracists.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies