Most segregationist voting patterns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most segregationist voting patterns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most segregationist voting patterns  (Read 1761 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »

Why in the hell should a segregationist have voted for Herbert Hoover? Especially in 1932, when the economy was in shambles and Hoover was still the man whose First Lady had invited Oscar Staunton DePriest's wife to the White House tea?
Also, in 1928 the people who bolted to Hoover were those in the Appalachians and in other marginal parts of the South, not the most ardent segregationists in the Black Belt.

Very much true. A number of segregationist Democrats in the South did support Hoover (i.e. Sen. J. Thomas Hefflin of Alabama), but the vast majority, such as the notorious Theodore Bilbo in Mississippi, strongly backed Al Smith. Bilbo actually accused Hoover of dancing with a "black woman" and made other extremely racist and demagogic statements about him. Most segregationists viewed the Democrats as the best vehicle through which to maintain white supremacy, and this outweighed their concerns about Smith's Catholicism. That is why Smith was able to hold the Deep Southern States.
foolcase
boringindy
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 08:09:05 PM »

Why in the hell should a segregationist have voted for Herbert Hoover? Especially in 1932, when the economy was in shambles and Hoover was still the man whose First Lady had invited Oscar Staunton DePriest's wife to the White House tea?
Also, in 1928 the people who bolted to Hoover were those in the Appalachians and in other marginal parts of the South, not the most ardent segregationists in the Black Belt.

This is true. Hoovercrats were more anti-catholic than anti-black.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »

A lot of people are suggesting that segregationists voted for obscure third party candidates after Wallace, when in reality most of them went for Nixon in 1972 and became largely Republican by 1980. A lot of them also probably moderated their views later in life.

I can imagine a voting pattern something like below:

1940: Roosevelt
1944: Roosevelt
1948: Thurmond
1952: Stevenson
1956: Stevenson
1960: Unpledged Byrd
1964: Goldwater
1968: Wallace
1972: Nixon
1976: Carter or Ford
1980: Reagan
1984: Reagan
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »

A lot of people are suggesting that segregationists voted for obscure third party candidates after Wallace, when in reality most of them went for Nixon in 1972 and became largely Republican by 1980. A lot of them also probably moderated their views later in life.

There definitely were a number of well-informed segregationist voters who would have voted even for more obscure third-party segregationist candidates.  One such person who met that description my grandfather, who was born in 1921 and died in 2000. He was extremely well-informed about all areas of politics and history but unfortunately was a strong supporter of racial segregation and was sympathetic to the KKK and other white supremacist organizations. He developed racist views due to his experiences in World War 2 and Korea (he bought into the argument that African American soldiers were inferior to white soldiers) as well as his poor economic circumstances (he also bought into the rhetoric that African American workers threatened his livelihood).

Due to these factors, my grandfather voted for the segregationist candidate in each Presidential election from 1948 onward with the exception of his votes for Jimmy Carter in 1976 and 1980, as well as Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996 (my grandfather was originally from rural Kentucky and admired Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton because they were Southern Democrats). During each Presidential campaign, he researched all of the candidates running and selected the one that would, in his mind, best preserve white supremacy regardless if they were fringe candidates. In cases where both the major party candidates were pro-civil rights, such as 1952, 1956, and 1960, he wrote in Douglas MacArthur, T. Coleman Andrews, and Orval Faubus respectively. Probably his most enthusiastic votes were for George Wallace in 1968 and David Duke in 1988.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »

There definitely were a number of well-informed segregationist voters who would have voted even for more obscure third-party segregationist candidates...

I'm sure each individual varies, but Duke only got 47k votes in 11 states, whereas Wallace got nearly 10M votes and won five states. Overall most of these voters merged into the GOP by the 1980s.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »

There definitely were a number of well-informed segregationist voters who would have voted even for more obscure third-party segregationist candidates...

I'm sure each individual varies, but Duke only got 47k votes in 11 states, whereas Wallace got nearly 10M votes and won five states. Overall most of these voters merged into the GOP by the 1980s.
I would say that most segregationist voters started moving towards the Republican Party during the 1962 midterm elections and completed their transition by 1984 or 1988 at the latest. Some segregationist voters might have continued to vote for Democrats at the local level until the 2010 midterm election however.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47:43 PM »

Well yes, most segregationists later moderated their views, and also became simply partisan Republicans. However, the thread asks about "the most segregationist voting patterns", which entails being really aggressive and extreme in one's desire for racial segregation, and likely considering, for example, Bush Sr. a cuck and Duke "my man".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies