Should taxpayers pay for immigrant benefits?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should taxpayers pay for immigrant benefits?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should taxpayers pay for immigrant benefits? (including illegal immigrants)
Yes, It's always good to help others no matter what.

No, but there's nothing that could be done about it.

No, the federal government should pay for all immigrant benefits.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Should taxpayers pay for immigrant benefits?  (Read 1192 times)
538Electoral

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »

Option 3 for me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »

talk about a loaded f**king question

...wait a minute what does option 3 even mean?? You. You do know the federal government is funded by taxes right? Huh
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:22:00 PM »

LOL. I think we can close the thread and go home now.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:57:20 PM »

After reading this question and your comment, I think I may follow Trump’s disinfectant advice.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »

I don't really understand option 3 unless you are saying the government should print/borrow the money instead of taxing. I don't think that illegal immigrants should receive welfare benefits unless it is beneficial to the population as a whole, such as health care for infectious diseases and maybe public education.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »

Taxpayers would probably value more the benefits immigrants bring our society if they had to pay for them directly.
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »

Of course not!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »

Why not?

Immigrants produce more for the US economy then they take in "welfare" and there is no reason not to support them being able to draw from programs they help fund because immigrants do pay taxes folks. The American anti-immigrant sentiment isn't very different from the German antisemitism in the 1920s, many Americans blame immigrants for Americans being worse off, and think that something needs to be done about the immigrants stealing American (white peoples) jobs it's a clear scapegoat mentality.
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »

Why not?

Immigrants produce more for the US economy then they take in "welfare" and there is no reason not to support them being able to draw from programs they help fund because immigrants do pay taxes folks. The American anti-immigrant sentiment isn't very different from the German antisemitism in the 1920s, many Americans blame immigrants for Americans being worse off, and think that something needs to be done about the immigrants stealing American (white peoples) jobs it's a clear scapegoat mentality.

Immigration should be restricted because many of them don't assimilate.
If they receive any Taxpayer funded services they should be deported.
But to be fair I would like to eliminate the welfare state for all people!

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »

Why not?

Immigration should be restricted because many of them don't assimilate.
If they receive any Taxpayer funded services they should be deported.
But to be fair I would like to eliminate the welfare state for all people!

Is not assimilating a bad thing? 7 of the men who signed the Constitution were immigrants. Much of the culture of America is based on those of nations such as Mexico, England, Scotland, Germany, and the Nordic nations.

But isn't the usage of roads a "taxpayer-funded service" and how do you argue against the fact immigrants work harder, for lower wages, then natural-born citizens with immigrants committing less crime and being generally more receptive to the "American dream" these sound like model citizens in a Conservative America, but why are you so hostile towards them?
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »

Immigrants produce more for the US economy then they take in "welfare" and there is no reason not to support them being able to draw from programs they help fund because immigrants do pay taxes folks.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate.  The Hill did a piece in 2019 that, while debunking Trump's claim that illegal immigrants cost taxpayers $250B, still lays out that they cost around $118B.  That number is after accounting for the taxes they pay.  It's worth note though that we give about $50B in foreign aide each year, just for context.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 02:16:46 AM »

No one, there shouldn't be immigrant benefits.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »

Immigrants produce more for the US economy then they take in "welfare" and there is no reason not to support them being able to draw from programs they help fund because immigrants do pay taxes folks.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate.  The Hill did a piece in 2019 that, while debunking Trump's claim that illegal immigrants cost taxpayers $250B, still lays out that they cost around $118B.  That number is after accounting for the taxes they pay.  It's worth note though that we give about $50B in foreign aide each year, just for context.

Could I get a link to the article from The Hill?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »

This. I would encourage immigrants to become naturalized citizens of the U.S.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »

No.
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:49 AM »

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/439930-your-taxpayer-dollars-are-footing-the-spiraling-costs-of-illegal-immigration
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 12:49:18 PM »

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/439930-your-taxpayer-dollars-are-footing-the-spiraling-costs-of-illegal-immigration

Does that article include the amount of money that gets sent over via remittances, rather than getting recirculated in the American economy?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »

Immigrants pay taxes too!

Without immigration the tax base would consist only of Native Americans.
Buffywawa
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »

Depending on the exact logistics of it of course, but in the end, all citizens benefit from immigrants succeeding, so spending more money for better immigration programs, ultimately, is worth it.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 08:33:49 PM »

Who says immigrants can't be good for the economy? Yeah taxes are a thing but without immigrats and their benefits, There would be a lot less people working. If Trump creates new jobs as his supporters like to boast, Why not hand them over to the immigrants?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies