TX-28 primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:10:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-28 primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for / Who will win?
Rodriguez / Rodriguez

Rodriguez / Cuellar

Cuellar / Rodriguez

Cuellar / Cuellar

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: TX-28 primary  (Read 20481 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2006, 08:37:05 PM »

It's this Tuesday.

Cuellar is the DINO incumbent.  Rodriguez is a former Congressman narrowly defeated by Cuellar in the 2004 primary.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »

For a little reference, here is a picture of the CD in question.

I have zero polls on this contest and I doubt any will appear, except partisan ones.  Bush won this CD by 5 points in 2004, but there will be no Republican opponent come November and the Republican bench in this area is pretty much nil.

As an FYI as to the dynamics in this race, Cuellar will dominate in the Southern part of this CD around Laredo (his home base).  Rodriguez is from San Antonio and will have to post strong numbers in lower Bexar county in order to have a shot.  The rest of this CD should be friendly to Cuellar, if they show up to vote at all.

The real question will be turnout in these sorts of primaries.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »

Ceullar/Rodriguez
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:01:23 PM »

Cuellar / Rodriguez
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:15:59 AM »

Rodriguez / Cuellar
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »

As Texas has open primaries won't Cuellar benefit from the support of Republicans and conservative Independents? 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »

As Texas has open primaries won't Cuellar benefit from the support of Republicans and conservative Independents? 

He could, since there will be no Republican candidate this October. 

I would expect the effect to be minimal, but if does occur, the part of the CD where you would most likely see those type of votes is Guadalupe County, in the Seguin/New Braunfels part of the map.  There are a lot of German Republicans in those areas.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 01:41:55 PM »

I love how the Republicans complained the previous map was unfair. Look at that gerrymandred monstrosity.

Rodriguez/Rodriguez
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »

Cuellar/Cuellar
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »

I hope Cueller wins Smiley. Culler is possibly the one Texas Democrat who could win statewide, in an open seat, yet he is derided for being a DINO Roll Eyes. The Democrats need a few more of his sort, might control Congress if they did

Dave
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »

Cueller/Cueller
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »

What are the chances of Cuellar running against Cornyn in 2008?  I actually think he would be an excellent Senator.  If he could only get past the first hurdle of being elected, then prove himself as a moderate who won the support of Democrats and Republicans, he could easily rival Hutchison in terms of popularity.  What I mean is, his approvals would be 55%-70%, but being elected and re-elected might be less easy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »

I hope Cueller wins Smiley. Culler is possibly the one Texas Democrat who could win statewide, in an open seat, yet he is derided for being a DINO Roll Eyes. The Democrats need a few more of his sort, might control Congress if they did

Dave

A lot of good controlling Congress would do if it depended on people like him. Of course we whould take him down, the Bush lover will probably switch parties. No Democrat should support a Bush lover like Cuellar.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

Rodriguez/Cuellar
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 05:44:05 PM »

The Democrats need a few more of his sort, might control Congress if they did

If it took getting a lot of Republicans like this guy to run as Democrats, I don't know that building a majority in Congress would actually be something worth pursuing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »

What are the chances of Cuellar running against Cornyn in 2008?  I actually think he would be an excellent Senator.  If he could only get past the first hurdle of being elected, then prove himself as a moderate who won the support of Democrats and Republicans, he could easily rival Hutchison in terms of popularity.  What I mean is, his approvals would be 55%-70%, but being elected and re-elected might be less easy.

Imo, Cornyn is going to be hard to beat in 2008, because of the simple fact it is a Presidential year more than anything else.

Still, if anyone can, it would be Cuellar.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »

Dave

A lot of good controlling Congress would do if it depended on people like him. Of course we whould take him down, the Bush lover will probably switch parties. No Democrat should support a Bush lover like Cuellar.

Have you actually bothered to look at the 2005 NJ ratings? You can see how 'unified' to a point the Democratic Caucus is. The only Democrat who comes out with a higher conservative rating than he does liberal is Gene Taylor of Mississippi, and even he's fallen into line on key votes. Cueller scores 56% liberal/44% conservative. In other words, he's pretty centrist or something of a moderate liberal populist perhaps

You are just so unbelievably blinkered. We're talking Texas not Massachusetts or liberal urban enclaves

Dave
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »

No, but we are talking about a pretty safe Democratic district. Like Sam said, ther'es no Republican running, and the possible candidate list for them is just empty. If a district is safe and can elect a more liberal candidate, then I'm always going to support the more liberal candidate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 01:19:32 AM »

Dave

Have you actually bothered to look at the 2005 NJ ratings? You can see how 'unified' to a point the Democratic Caucus is. The only Democrat who comes out with a higher conservative rating than he does liberal is Gene Taylor of Mississippi, and even he's fallen into line on key votes. Cueller scores 56% liberal/44% conservative. In other words, he's pretty centrist or something of a moderate liberal populist perhaps

You are just so unbelievably blinkered. We're talking Texas not Massachusetts or liberal urban enclaves

Dave

Let's see, we have a real Democrat who was Congressman as recently as 2004 running against this DINO in the primary, and there's no Republican running in the general election. You support for the DINO shows that you'd rather have a Bush kissing anti-worker bastard who was endorsed by the Club for Growth in this seat than a real Demcorat.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 10:01:13 AM »

Dave

Dave

Let's see, we have a real Democrat who was Congressman as recently as 2004 running against this DINO in the primary, and there's no Republican running in the general election. You support for the DINO shows that you'd rather have a Bush kissing anti-worker bastard who was endorsed by the Club for Growth in this seat than a real Demcorat.

Well, since I'm backing Cueller, if you are implying I'm anti-worker and that I kiss Bush's butt, you are mistaken :Sad. Nor, having checked the Club for Growth website, can I say I identify them either. What I can understand, however, is them endorsing the most laissez-faire candidate in  congressional races

I'll see if I can find out more on Cueller's votes

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »

Main worry if Cueller loses is what he does next. Think about it; defections have not exactly been rare in Texas politics and just because the GOP doesn't really exist in south Texas doesn't mean that it will *never* exist down there...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 10:40:03 AM »

I've taken a look at Cueller. He seems to have a pretty mixed record when it comes to being pro-business or pro-labor. Lefties are, indeed, targetting him, however. Ideally, however, no elected representative should be in hoc to interest groups, they should be accountable to their electorate and those alone

I happen to think he'll make a good statewide candidate, which scores brownie points with me. Nor do I see that in order to be pro-labor you necessarily have to be anti-business or vice versa

Therefore, I'm sticking with Cueller. I don't think Rodrigues is a viable statewide candidate, while Cueller could, at least, emerge as a serious Senate contender, unless he's stopped in his tracks in the Democratic primary

Furthermore, given the Hispanic shift towards the GOP in 2004, shouldn't Democrats be playing it safe, especially in Texas. I suspect Al is right, it's only a matter of time before the Republicans become more established in southern Texas

Dave
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »

Main worry if Cueller loses is what he does next. Think about it; defections have not exactly been rare in Texas politics and just because the GOP doesn't really exist in south Texas doesn't mean that it will *never* exist down there...

My thoughts exactly.  Of course, it wouldn't affect this term; if you get defeated in the primary, you're done.

But the last thing the Democrats in Texas would want to have happen is a defection from Cuellar, who is extremely, extremely popular in Webb County and the Laredo area in general.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »

Ah yeah ... I'd like some background on the 2004 primary race actually. Not on how it got decided - I know all about that - but why did Cuellar decide to run against Rodriguez? What was the campaign fought on? Where did Cuellar's money come from? I remember that in 2002, Cuellar almost took out Rep. Henry Bonilla (R), but his vote base was regerrymandered out of Bonilla's district after that.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 02:05:29 PM »

Democracy for America's e-mail described "recent polls" showing Rodriguez down by 5.  No data provided.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies