2021 Gubernatorial predictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:53:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2021 Gubernatorial predictions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2021 Gubernatorial predictions  (Read 2495 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »

Yes, it is a year out, but who wins NJ and VA 2021?
Hillary Biden
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »

The democrats if Trump is reelected like expected but a rally around the flag crisis and the overreaching liberalism of Murphy and Northam could see the gop winning (100% they'll win under president Biden but that's less likely to happen).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »

The democrats if Trump is reelected like expected but a rally around the flag crisis and the overreaching liberalism of Murphy and Northam could see the gop winning (100% they'll win under president Biden but that's less likely to happen).

"overreaching liberalism"? Both Murphy and Northam have positive approval ratings according to Morning Consult. I think people are vastly overestimating the NJ GOP and VA GOP Gillespie almost beat Warner in 2014, sure but that was 6 years ago he was beat handily by Northam in 2017, and in 2021 the nominee will likely be Mark Herring the AG or Terry Mcaullife a close Clinton ally, DNC Chairman, and Hillary's national chairman in 2008.

In New Jersey who will the GOP run? Tom Kean Jr.? Uhhh that one Congressman that didn't lose in 2018 or Jeff Van Drew that is a weak bench.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »

Trump Midterm

VA: Generic Dem +6, McAuliffe +10, Fairfax +2
NJ: Murphy +7

Biden Midterm

VA: Generic Dem +2, McAuliffe +6, Fairfax -2 (loses)
NJ: Murphy +3 with a substantial (1 in 3?) risk of losing

Bonus 2023 Gov predictions

Trump Midterm

LA: Republican +8 in runoff
KY: Beshear +2

Biden Midterm

LA: Republican win without a runoff
KY: Republican +7
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »

In New Jersey who will the GOP run? Tom Kean Jr.? Uhhh that one Congressman that didn't lose in 2018 or Jeff Van Drew that is a weak bench.

Ciattarelli is already running. Tom MacArthur was considered a likely statewide candidate early on, but losing in 2018 hurt him. Kean will likely be hurt by a probable loss this year to Malinowski.

Bramnick may run if the race looks winnable, but early on I'd consider him unlikely.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »

I think the Democrats probably hold both of them
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »

Trump midterm
VA-GOV: Safe D
NJ-GOV: Safe D

Biden midterm
NJ-GOV: Likely D, but could move to Lean D or Safe D depending on circumstances
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:52 PM »

Trump midterm
NJ-GOV: Safe D

Biden midterm
NJ-GOV: Likely D, but could move to Lean D or Safe D depending on circumstances

I agree with this
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »

Hot take: Republicans are more likely to flip NJ than VA if Biden is president (both are safe D under Trump). NJGOP seems more likely than VAGOP to nominate a good candidate (Ciattarelli or Bramnick), and Phil Murphy was had mediocre popularity before coronavirus hit. Plus crisis approvals aren't guaranteed to last - just ask Chris Christie.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »

Hot take: Republicans are more likely to flip NJ than VA if Biden is president (both are safe D under Trump). NJGOP seems more likely than VAGOP to nominate a good candidate (Ciattarelli or Bramnick), and Phil Murphy was had mediocre popularity before coronavirus hit. Plus crisis approvals aren't guaranteed to last - just ask Chris Christie.

True, but I don't think the NJ GOP has their acts together. They will run a suburban Italian/Irish, and make it competitive, but Murphy will win a second term
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »

I don't think that's exactly a hot take. Most of the forum probably agrees with that. I definitely do.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

Biden midterm:

NJ: Murphy 52-47
VA: McAuliffe 53-46

Trump midterm

NJ: Murphy 54-45
VA: McAuliffe 56-43
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »

Does anyone know if McAullife is going to run again in 2021, I don't remember if he has said anything about it or if it was just pure speculation on watchers part.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:04 AM »

New Jersey

Chris Murphy (D) 55%
Generic Republican (probably Ciatterelli,but there's still time for someone else to get in) 44%

Virginia

Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney (D) 49%
former Congressman Dave Brat (R) 48% (I literally have no idea who Virginia Republicans actually will nominate)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:10 AM »

I think both are Likely D at least regardless of who's prez.

If McAuliffe runs again, he'll win by at least 7, perhaps double digits. Murphy should be fine, even if his approvals are medicore.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »

Does anyone know if McAullife is going to run again in 2021, I don't remember if he has said anything about it or if it was just pure speculation on watchers part.
Biden accidentally let it leak.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »

If Biden and Murphy win(my prediction). It will be the first time since 1985 that New Jersey elects a governor from the same party as the president. Also, Terry McAuliffe will be governor again.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »

I don’t like following races which are Safe D no matter what, but the worst thing about the VA GOV race is that we’re going to be inundated with takes telling us that this race "in a key swing state is the first real test of Republicans' electoral prospects in a post-Trump era and a bellwether for next year's midterm elections." Everyone’s going to act like VA is a pure Tossup state which Republicans have no business losing (it only voted for Biden by double digits because it was anti-Trump!) and then predict a Democratic wave in 2022 when the party inevitably wins the gubernatorial election and every other statewide office by 7+ points. The "National Republicans in disarray" headlines are gonna write themselves.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »

Not only is the mid-term theory astonishingly weak, especially for gubernatorial races, but these are off-year elections, not mid-term elections.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »

I don’t like following races which are Safe D no matter what, but the worst thing about the VA GOV race is that we’re going to be inundated with takes telling us that this race "in a key swing state is the first real test of Republicans' electoral prospects in a post-Trump era and a bellwether for next year's midterm elections." Everyone’s going to act like VA is a pure Tossup state which Republicans have no business losing (it only voted for Biden by double digits because it was anti-Trump!) and then predict a Democratic wave in 2022 when the party inevitably wins the gubernatorial election and every other statewide office by 7+ points. The "National Republicans in disarray" headlines are gonna write themselves.
I agree. America doesn't realize how democratic the state has become. The connotation with southerners and being republican is fresh in many people's minds.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 01:16:24 AM »

New Jersey

Chris Murphy (D) 55%
Generic Republican (probably Ciatterelli,but there's still time for someone else to get in) 44%

Virginia

former Congressman Dave Brat (R) 48% (I literally have no idea who Virginia Republicans actually will nominate)

Phil Murphy, not Chris Murphy. Chris is the Connecticut Senator.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 01:50:16 AM »

Probably both Dem holds, but I wouldn't pencil in Murphy yet, just because NJ's been hit hard by Covid and we have no idea what that fallout is going to be for state politicos once the rally-around-the-flag effect wears off and there's more scrutiny on the actions taken by governors during the crisis.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 01:57:22 AM »

New Jersey

Chris Murphy (D) 55%

Virginia

Phil Murphy, not Chris Murphy. Chris is the Connecticut Senator.

Whoops. My bad.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »

Republicans have the possibility of a comeback in NJ if there is a significant enough tax issue.  In VA, the Democrats are in trouble if they can't avoid a primary result that highlights Justin Fairfax's alleged sexual misconduct (assault?) is a leading feature of discussion in the primary.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:05 AM »

Republicans have the possibility of a comeback in NJ if there is a significant enough tax issue.  In VA, the Democrats are in trouble if they can't avoid a primary result that highlights Justin Fairfax's alleged sexual misconduct (assault?) is a leading feature of discussion in the primary.

Fuzzy the thing is, Fairfox is in 3rd for the primary the African American vote will likely be split if he is even in office next fall. Terry McAullife and Mark Herring are the obvious front runners for the office if McAullife runs he'll most likely win. The GOP candidate is some state senator who is fricking crazy, here's a quote from her, "t’s those who are naive and unprepared that end up raped. Sorry. But I’m not going to be a statistic."

In New Jersey, the main challenge for Murphy seems like it will be George Norcross who is really only a minor threat. The best bet for the GOP is Kean I guess, not great, but he could be worse.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies