2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin  (Read 41030 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: February 13, 2024, 02:36:02 PM »

Probably the grounds for a Evers veto, if he goes that route.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #651 on: February 13, 2024, 04:58:35 PM »

Special elections are held under old lines all the time in between redistricting years, it happened for a couple races in NY in 2022 and TX-34 special is probably the most notable. IMO all this posturing from Dems seems unnecessary, the maps the court produces aren't going to that much different from Evers in the end. Dragging this out further is just less time Dems have to hit the ground running on flipping seats.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #652 on: February 13, 2024, 05:59:41 PM »

With Evers Map in the State Senate, Democrats could "potentially" flip 8, 14, 18, and 30.   That'd bring them to 18R-15D, two short of majority.

For Republicans, they could flip 32 (like always really).  Pfaff doesn't really outperform the baseline of the district much if at all.   The rest of the D-held seats up this year are all safe.

From there, in 2026 the Democrats need to win three out of four of 5, 17, 21, and 31 (all but 31 are R incumbents) for a majority.

Biden actually won all the districts listed here.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #653 on: February 13, 2024, 06:58:20 PM »

Special elections are held under old lines all the time in between redistricting years, it happened for a couple races in NY in 2022 and TX-34 special is probably the most notable. IMO all this posturing from Dems seems unnecessary, the maps the court produces aren't going to that much different from Evers in the end. Dragging this out further is just less time Dems have to hit the ground running on flipping seats.

This is quite literally standard practice since you are fulfilling a unfinished term that was elected under old lines. People noted in 2022 when Nebraska used their new lines for the NE-01 special election that the GOP probably would have sucessfully challenged the results if they had a upset loss.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #654 on: February 15, 2024, 06:03:38 PM »

So what is the timeline for action from the Governor? How long does he have to decide whether to sign the maps into law or let the WI Supremes draw their own map?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #655 on: February 19, 2024, 10:03:46 AM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #656 on: February 19, 2024, 10:28:03 AM »

Evers signed the bill approving the maps.

I’ll have a breakdown coming here soon comparing the maps.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #657 on: February 19, 2024, 10:28:34 AM »

Can someone TLDR these maps- are they good?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #658 on: February 19, 2024, 11:02:59 AM »

Light Republican lean for both, but totally doable for Dems to get majorities. Also a number of seats I would expect Democrats to continue to improve on as the decade progresses, with not many I think they would have to worry about.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #659 on: February 19, 2024, 06:01:22 PM »

So they went with the original Evers maps right?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #660 on: February 19, 2024, 06:15:22 PM »

What about the federal house map?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #661 on: February 19, 2024, 06:25:25 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2024, 08:00:48 PM by Oryxslayer »

So they went with the original Evers maps right?

Yes. After enough strongarming the governors eventual maps got passed. The calculations made by Vos & Co. are that these are basically the best they could get. The other 3 maps deemed 'acceptable' by the masters worse for the GOP, and anything new the court will order would likely be worse still. That said, the mapping differences are the equivalent of splitting hairs. This map is closely analogous to Michigan, Pennsylvania, and maybe come next year Ohio's, which really shows the guiding mapping principle for the Midwest Dems has be partisan equity. Dems are guaranteed to gain a bunch of seats, and both chambers should be competitive (Senate might take until 2026 when the other half of seats are up). Control though will be down to the multitude of factors that always matter in marginal races.

This suit and ruling has zero connections to or relevance for the Congressional plan. They are two separate things.

That said, Elias's team is making motions against the congressional plan directly at the State Supreme Court, with the aim of getting a new congressional plan for 2024 onwards. That was reported last month, updates have yet to appear.

EDIT: Congressional map update. Dems definitely want this to happen

walleye26

« Reply #662 on: February 19, 2024, 10:20:13 PM »

Light Republican lean for both, but totally doable for Dems to get majorities. Also a number of seats I would expect Democrats to continue to improve on as the decade progresses, with not many I think they would have to worry about.

Yes, full agreement here. Evers ceded the R-trending areas up by Douglas, Ashland, and Sawyer Counties to the Republicans, along with the Point-Rapids-Black River Falls seats. Personally, I wish he would have done a Wausau-Stevens Point Senate district, as that would only be about R+4, but I get it.

However, he did put all of St Croix County and Pierce into one. The Hudson/River Falls/New Richmond area is growing quickly, so if some of this is Twin Cities blue spillover it could help Dems by the end of the decade. I also think the GB suburbs (De Pere, Bellevue, etc could really shift blue too. However, this is small potatoes compared to what happens in Ozaukee and Waukesha counties this decade.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #663 on: February 20, 2024, 04:54:19 AM »

This suit and ruling has zero connections to or relevance for the Congressional plan. They are two separate things.

That said, Elias's team is making motions against the congressional plan directly at the State Supreme Court, with the aim of getting a new congressional plan for 2024 onwards. That was reported last month, updates have yet to appear.

What I'm worried about is the speed with which the WI Supreme Court would have to move to get new maps in time for November. I think I read somewhere that WI needs new lines in place by sometime in March for candidate filing deadlines. They'd have to rule the current maps a gerrymander in very short order (the easier part) and then, assuming they hired experts to evaluate proposals again, select a new map or draw their own.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2024, 10:50:37 PM »

Yes, full agreement here. Evers ceded the R-trending areas up by Douglas, Ashland, and Sawyer Counties to the Republicans, along with the Point-Rapids-Black River Falls seats. Personally, I wish he would have done a Wausau-Stevens Point Senate district, as that would only be about R+4, but I get it.

However, he did put all of St Croix County and Pierce into one. The Hudson/River Falls/New Richmond area is growing quickly, so if some of this is Twin Cities blue spillover it could help Dems by the end of the decade. I also think the GB suburbs (De Pere, Bellevue, etc could really shift blue too. However, this is small potatoes compared to what happens in Ozaukee and Waukesha counties this decade.

The Douglas/Ashland/Bayfield area wasn't totally conceded.   He drew a D vote sink in AD-73, which actually was kind of a smart move since the area is R-trending overall and all three assembly seats have R incumbents right now so any competitive district would've been a tough flip.  I think the Senate seat would stay with the GOP in any shape it was drawn. 

Getting AD-73 as an auto-flip to Dems is probably the best possible outcome for that area given the circumstances.

I agree with Wausau-Stevens Point though, I don't know why they didn't put them together, maybe that would've been seen as too partisan.

I like his Hudson/River Falls district, AD-30.
walleye26

« Reply #665 on: February 21, 2024, 08:42:28 PM »

The Douglas/Ashland/Bayfield area wasn't totally conceded.   He drew a D vote sink in AD-73, which actually was kind of a smart move since the area is R-trending overall and all three assembly seats have R incumbents right now so any competitive district would've been a tough flip.  I think the Senate seat would stay with the GOP in any shape it was drawn. 

Getting AD-73 as an auto-flip to Dems is probably the best possible outcome for that area given the circumstances.

I agree with Wausau-Stevens Point though, I don't know why they didn't put them together, maybe that would've been seen as too partisan.

Yes, the AD-73 and AD-30 are both good. The only thing I would have changed is the southern half of Douglas, Bayfield, and Ashland is currently grouped with Sawyer and some of Burnett. I would have taken some of Burnett out and swapped it with the town of Lac du Flambeau in Vilas to keep the tribes together. Instead of it being like 54-44 that would make it more like 52-46.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #666 on: February 21, 2024, 10:48:50 PM »

Disagree a bit - it depends upon what you mean by "light Republican"

Because of geography, to create maps that are in line with the state's partisanship you have to make a conscious effort to unpack Dems in many places, and we definitely see that on this make with how places like Madison, La Crosse, and Eau Claire are drawn especially for the Assembly map. On the flip side in places like Fox Valley there was a clear effort ot group as many Dems together to get D-leaning seats. Not every single decision was made to maximize Dem seats, but both maps did a reasonably good job at trying to achieve partisan equity through these small decisions without starting to do absurd things.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #667 on: February 21, 2024, 10:54:56 PM »

I know it's sort of impossible to avoid without doing something absurd because of geography, but kind of insane how there are 9 narrow Biden districts on the State Senate map (<Biden + 10).

Even though the State Senate map has a Biden majority, I'd argue in the long run the Assembly map may be more favorable because the State Senate map has so many narrow seats a good handful of which have had mixed trends for Dems and very little room for growth outside those 18 Biden seats.

In the State Assembly map most of the narrow Biden seats seem to be in D shifting areas (or at least stagnant), with quite a few narrow Trump seat that could be tantalizing in the future like the Waukesha based AD-82 or the exurban MSP AD-30.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #668 on: February 22, 2024, 01:08:26 PM »

Yoda
United States

« Reply #669 on: February 22, 2024, 08:55:36 PM »

Uggghhhh:

Evers' request is the latest development in the congressional map inquiry as Democrats face a tight deadline to put new maps in place with under nine months until the November election. The court has not publicly indicated it will review the motion, and the Wisconsin Elections Commission has said that any new maps must be in place by March 15 to take effect for 2024.

A whopping 22 days to get the whole process done :/
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #670 on: February 23, 2024, 03:00:40 AM »

Uggghhhh:

Evers' request is the latest development in the congressional map inquiry as Democrats face a tight deadline to put new maps in place with under nine months until the November election. The court has not publicly indicated it will review the motion, and the Wisconsin Elections Commission has said that any new maps must be in place by March 15 to take effect for 2024.

A whopping 22 days to get the whole process done :/

I'll take later over the status quo.

That said, hopefully New York's new maps more than make up for it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #671 on: February 23, 2024, 10:53:08 AM »

I mean the court could always overrule the the Wisconsin Elections Commission, but that would probably invite SCOTUS to come in and invoke the Purcell principle. 2026 feels like the most likely scenario here.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #672 on: February 23, 2024, 06:27:04 PM »

I mean the court could always overrule the the Wisconsin Elections Commission, but that would probably invite SCOTUS to come in and invoke the Purcell principle. 2026 feels like the most likely scenario here.

Which is fine given that any likely new map would probably push WI from 6-2 R to 5-3 R. This is relatively low stakes.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #673 on: February 23, 2024, 06:39:41 PM »

Which is fine given that any likely new map would probably push WI from 6-2 R to 5-3 R. This is relatively low stakes.

Or possibly 4-4.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #674 on: February 23, 2024, 09:33:01 PM »

I think this court would allow the same process to play out as they did for the state legislature maps, which I think would result in a 4-4 map or at the very last a 4-3-1 map.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies