2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:06:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin  (Read 40974 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2022, 04:37:57 PM »

It's been 3 months, again if the judges want a least change what the heck is taking so long?

I have been under the assumption that it is to delay the lift on the parallel suit in federal court until it is too late, but perhaps they are drawing their own maps. Maybe there are just more important things for the moment. Maybe a bit of all 3.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2022, 04:40:16 PM »

It's been 3 months, again if the judges want a least change what the heck is taking so long?

I have been under the assumption that it is to delay the lift on the parallel suit in federal court until it is too late, but perhaps they are drawing their own maps. Maybe there are just more important things for the moment. Maybe a bit of all 3.

What do you mean by delay the lift?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #377 on: February 19, 2022, 04:48:47 PM »

To delay the point where either the federal case is dismissed as moot, because the state court picked a map, while minimizing the odds that the federal court says, or my God, VRA violations, and we still have time to fix it and issue a stay, rather than no we don't have time, but maybe in the next election cycle? No, it does not make any sense.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »

There is another redistricting panel that has been ordered into effect in the federals courts if the state failed to map. There was an attempt to get power into their hands because the panel might have been friendlier than the 4-3 court. This panel and the suits were put on hold when the state court took authority, but the stay on any cases against it would be likely lifted upon completion of work. Some arguments, such that the original (legislative mainly) maps violate state compactness provisions, would still apply to any new least-change plan.

At least that's the gist I got from the January reports from those who were watching Wisconsin.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: February 19, 2022, 04:57:01 PM »

There is another redistricting panel that has been ordered into effect in the federals courts if the state failed to map. There was an attempt to get power into their hands because the panel might have been friendlier than the 4-3 court. This panel and the suits were put on hold when the state court took authority, but the stay on any cases against it would be likely lifted upon completion of work. Some arguments, such that the original (legislative mainly) maps violate state compactness provisions, would still apply to any new least-change plan.

At least that's the gist I got from the January reports from those who were watching Wisconsin.

Yeah seems really weird, as Torie said perhaps a VRA district thing might be there but the feds would merely change Milwaukee. Is there now room for a 2nd hispanic seat? IIRC R's tried to do that in 2010 but the Federal courts reversed it.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2022, 02:39:03 PM »

I attempted to make a fair map of WI. What do you guys think?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2022, 02:44:56 PM »

I like it overall. However, the county splits are a bit much in some places. WI-03 should lose its share of Columbia County and make up for that in Sauk, and it might make sense for Waushara County to be moved to the 6th in return for WI-08 taking more of Manitowoc and WI-07 taking all of Vilas and as much of Langlade as is needed.
But these are just minor complaints. This is a great map overall.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2022, 06:29:05 PM »

I like it overall. However, the county splits are a bit much in some places. WI-03 should lose its share of Columbia County and make up for that in Sauk, and it might make sense for Waushara County to be moved to the 6th in return for WI-08 taking more of Manitowoc and WI-07 taking all of Vilas and as much of Langlade as is needed.
Based on your feedback, I have made some improvements
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »

Nice work.
This is among the better WI maps I've seen.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »

I guess we are looking at sometime this month? Maybe today?

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »

Eau Claire and chippewa should go together . Also Appleton Oshkosh although that is harder.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #386 on: March 01, 2022, 12:25:49 PM »

I guess we are looking at sometime this month? Maybe today?

Annoying acronym. It's WISC as the name is the Wisconsin Supreme Court. State Supreme Courts don't use the same naming convention as SCOTUS.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2022, 12:45:09 PM »

Fully expecting the court to come back with something extremely heinous. Wisconsin is a failed state.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2022, 01:49:35 PM »

Fully expecting the court to come back with something extremely heinous. Wisconsin is a failed state.

What's your definition of extremely heinous? Everyone agrees that it's going to be 6-2 by 2020 Presidential #'s.

Are you talking legislatively? Yes if so I agree that the Green bay district is problematic although as far as I understand it actually isn't a GOP gerrymander but a leftover from a Dem incumbent. WOW/Milwaukee has some GOP gerrymanders that are sort of dummymandering. The seats will get shored up somewhat but still competitive. Dane has a GOP gerrymander to some degree but due to a least change principle 1 R seat should flip by getting pushed into Dane.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2022, 09:07:16 PM »

I feel like the court will either draw a disappointingly uncompetitive 6-2 map (i.e 1rst and 3rd become safer for GOP), or they do something really ugly to try and create greater partisan fairness.

My guess is more the former, but the latter would be an interesting twist, especially since NC has shown us that judges don't always know how to draw the best maps from a COI standpoint.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2022, 09:12:24 PM by lfromnj »

I feel like the court will either draw a disappointingly uncompetitive 6-2 map (i.e 1rst and 3rd become safer for GOP), or they do something really ugly to try and create greater partisan fairness.

My guess is more the former, but the latter would be an interesting twist, especially since NC has shown us that judges don't always know how to draw the best maps from a COI standpoint.

I think even the 1st became a touch more D in the R map. Hagedorn is drawing the map(effectively ) and he was the redistricting lawyer for Scott Walker in 2011 IIRC.( he seems to be interested in other factors so I do wonder what he is thinking)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2022, 09:12:18 PM »

I think even the 1st became a touch more D in the R map

It kinda is hard to make the 1rst redder without making some quite R favorable decisions. Assuming the district profile remains simillar, the only real way to make it redder would be to have it take in more of Wakesha County, however, most court drawn maps would probably make the 5th more dominate in Wakesha and psuh WI-01 to take in slightly more of Rock of the immediate Milwaukee burbs.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2022, 09:51:05 AM »

I tried to work out if it's even possible to make a fair map partisanship-wise without splitting Dane County or Milwaukee.

Turns out yes, it is possible to make a 2D-2R-4C map. It would indeed be very ugly though- can't imagine the WI court making changes as big as something like this. https://davesredistricting.org/join/1d950c3a-b710-41cf-a54f-3eacfed31636

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #393 on: March 03, 2022, 05:22:49 PM »

THEY SIDED WITH EVERS!!!

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2022, 05:24:47 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 05:33:04 PM by Ferguson97 »

THEY SIDED WITH EVERS!!!

CAN'T STOP WINNING

But for real, kinda sad how a "win" for Democrats in a 50-50 state is STILL biased in favor of Republicans
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »

Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »

What are the relevant margins?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »

THEY SIDED WITH EVERS!!!

CAN'T STOP WINNING

But for real, kinda sad how a "win" for Democrats in a 50-50 state is STILL biased in favor of Republicans

Wisconsin has said some bizarre political geography. Two of the bluest areas of the country with one of the reddest in between
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2022, 05:56:40 PM »

Is the new WI-01 trending D? 538 says it's R+6 but they usually go to the right of the 2020 result. Could this be up for grabs in 2024 or a 2026 R midterm?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2022, 05:57:26 PM »

Reports of the courts possibly drawing their own maps were greatly exagerated.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies