The Santa Claus argument against God
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Santa Claus argument against God
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Santa Claus argument against God  (Read 350 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2021, 02:12:34 AM »
« edited: May 12, 2021, 01:57:03 PM by Kingpoleon »

https://www.academia.edu/9434896/A_Debate_between_a_Theist_and_a_Santa_Clausist_Act_I_

.... This is the “philosopher” behind Crash Course’s philosophy videos, apparently. The obsession with Plantinga is fascinating, as is the complete avoidance of metaphysics, epistemology, and logical reasoning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/badphilosophy/comments/4hkp8s/theism_is_literally_santa_claus_brought_to_you_by/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

“The article is intended... to consider the possibility that theistic belief is no better than belief in Santa Claus.”
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »

Also can't read this pdf, but I have long had a very negative opinion of him for getting basically everything wrong about Aquinas's arguments.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »

But in a Santaless world, there can't be any such thing as "naughty" or "nice." Morality would be totally subjective.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »

But in a Santaless world, there can't be any such thing as "naughty" or "nice." Morality would be totally subjective.
Sometimes I think you read Iris Murdoch & just decided she was wrong about everything.

With the notable exception of John Gray, most moral non-realists reject political ideologies altogether.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »

Sometimes I think you read Iris Murdoch & just decided she was wrong about everything.

With the notable exception of John Gray, most moral non-realists reject political ideologies altogether.

It wouldn't be a Kingpoleon comment if it didn't include name-dropping random thinkers who have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »

It wouldn't be a Kingpoleon comment if it didn't include name-dropping random thinkers who have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
As Leonardo Da Vinci said, “Any one who in discussion relies upon authority uses, not his understanding, but rather his memory.”
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »

When I was a child, the idea of a pro-social lie came to me only with difficulty.

It took me a long time to accept that Santa wasn't real, because even at an age when his absurdity should have been obvious, I could not accept that my parents would perpetrate such an egregious lie. My embarrassingly late clinging to the Santa delusion directly led into an embarrassingly young crisis of faith.

I couldn't download the PDF, so I don't know if that has anything to do with this paper.
It makes sense. If Santa’s not real and Zeus is not real, then why not the Christian deity too!
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 07:03:24 AM »

It makes sense. If Santa’s not real and Zeus is not real, then why not the Christian deity too!

To a child, perhaps. Most adults have reasons for believing in God beyond "my parents wouldn't lie to me."
Why Christianity and not, let’s say Hinduism. If you were born in Bali, you’d probably be a Hindu? Seems equally valid to me.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »

To a child, perhaps. Most adults have reasons for believing in God beyond "my parents wouldn't lie to me."
Why Christianity and not, let’s say Hinduism. If you were born in Bali, you’d probably be a Hindu? Seems equally valid to me.

If you were born elsewhere, educated differently, and had a different relationship with media, your beliefs would very likely be different. Social learning is not a distinctive feature of religious worldviews. It's a universal characteristic of human experience.
I’d agree with you on that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies