The White House (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:11:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The White House  (Read 29253 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »

He has committed treason.  He has mustered an army.  The time to act is now!  It is your constitutional duty to defend the Union.  The Union has been infringed upon by an illegal and belligerent element.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 06:38:02 AM »

Do you know what the hell a "Game Moderator" is?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »

One thing isn't clear.  If eight citizens petition to have the GM removed, does he leave, or is there a vote on it?
Read the next sentence
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »

I agree that we may want more oversight but believe we should break this up and vote on things individually. The more complex a "bill" gets, the more reason there is for citizens not to approve. In my opinion removing the conflict of interest is the most important aspect. I'd hate for it to not be approved because there are other parts of this plan citizens don't approve of. We need to break this proposal up.
No, that's not going to happen.  We're going to vote on this thing as one solid package and finally settle this matter.  And to call this a "complex" plan is laughable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
This could be compromised, but, looking at how long Presidential campaigns, for example, last, can be no lower than 4 weeks.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »

This could be compromised, but, looking at how long Presidential campaigns, for example, last, can be no lower than 4 weeks.
Four weeks is a very long time in Atlasia. I would prefer a rule that states that no GM may serve in office, or declare his candidacy for any office. This would effectively mean that a GM must resign before beginning his campaign. For presidential election, the GM would normally resign earlier (because the campaign is usually longer), while for other elections he could resign later.
We will add that, but there still needs to be some sort of time limit.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »

I agree that we may want more oversight but believe we should break this up and vote on things individually. The more complex a "bill" gets, the more reason there is for citizens not to approve. In my opinion removing the conflict of interest is the most important aspect. I'd hate for it to not be approved because there are other parts of this plan citizens don't approve of. We need to break this proposal up.
No, that's not going to happen.  We're going to vote on this thing as one solid package and finally settle this matter.  And to call this a "complex" plan is laughable.

Excuse me? Is it going to be standard practice for the Attorney General to tell citizens what they can and cannot propose as laws? That you seem to be inflexible on this further reinforces my belief that citizens or the Senate should settle this matter, as they are charged with making laws rather than executing them.
The citizens are going to settle this matter - whenever we vote on the measures.  My opposition to dividing this up is for clear practical reasons.  I'm not proposing these as reforms to complement our existing structure but as a whole new code of doing things.  We can compromise on some of the quanitive areas that are of dispute before we vote, but once we do, we need the whole thing to pass as one and act as one, solid system.

"Is it going to be standard practice for the Attorney General to tell citizens what they can and cannot propose as laws?"  What the hell is this?  This isn't a law.  And I'm not the Attourney General.  I'm proposing this as a member of atlasia, not as an executive figure.  The reason we're taking charge in administering everything is that there are no precedents for what we're doing .
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 04:18:33 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2006, 04:27:44 PM by Preston Caldwell »

The problem is that this isn't a law.  This has nothing to do with atlasia.  This isn't concerning the world in which atlasia exists; that would be like having a debate

And what's there to break up.  This isn't a controversial matter.  That's as if we we're voting on a law code and you say you want to break it up.  You can't break it up.  If one part doesn't pass then its incomplete.  Like I said, we're working on a clean slate here.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:18:01 PM »

First, I think Preston's proposal is definitely going in the right direction. Some thing needs to be definte as a set of rules pertaining to the GM. I also agree that the rules of the game should be seperate from the political laws that exist inside of Atlasia.

Second, I agree with TCash that if this was proposed as a citizen then this was not the proper thread for it. Besides being voted on by all citizens, all citizens should have the right to offer modifications. For example, maybe 6 weeks is too long. Too some, maybe it is too short. But the citizens should have the right to make the decision instead of having a take it or leave package with not change to improve it.
Well, that's why we have it hear for citizen examination.  Because of the comments received on it we are now going to amend the section at hand.  We do plan to hold a vote soon, however.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »

As long as that is the only part of it that would be seperated from the rest, I'm comfortable with breaking it up that way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies