Largest ever study of Atheists in America.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:16:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Largest ever study of Atheists in America.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Largest ever study of Atheists in America.  (Read 983 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »

This active distrust and dislike of atheists that's being discussed is sort of culturally alien to me. I obviously don't live in nearly as much of a resolutely secular bubble as Dule does, but New England is still one of the less-religious parts of the country at this point and I associate nosy overconcern with other people's irreligiosity mostly with the elderly and with transplants from the Midwest or South.

I grew up just outside Worcester, Mass. It's quite secular. But at school I did come across small number of religious students, mostly catholics.

I'm Catholic myself. I'm not very familiar with Worcester in particular, but the Pioneer Valley, where I live, is very much a "mostly secular, but there are definitely still religious people around" kind of place. Lots of Buddhists these days--and not just white converts, there are Southeast Asian immigrant and refugee populations too.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »

This active distrust and dislike of atheists that's being discussed is sort of culturally alien to me. I obviously don't live in nearly as much of a resolutely secular bubble as Dule does, but New England is still one of the less-religious parts of the country at this point and I associate nosy overconcern with other people's irreligiosity mostly with the elderly and with transplants from the Midwest or South.

I grew up just outside Worcester, Mass. It's quite secular. But at school I did come across small number of religious students, mostly catholics.

I'm Catholic myself. I'm not very familiar with Worcester in particular, but the Pioneer Valley, where I live, is very much a "mostly secular, but there are definitely still religious people around" kind of place. Lots of Buddhists these days--and not just white converts, there are Southeast Asian immigrant and refugee populations too.

I live in Shrewsbury now, my parents live in Westborough. Lots of south Asians (Indians) here. I have few friends who are Buddhists of Cambodian heritage, they came to the US as refugees. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »

I come from the Bible Belt, and I’ve never heard anyone ask someone else their religion. It’s just not something you talk a lot about, and if you do, it’s like sports: if you’re not interested in it, then you still might have to listen to people talk about it a lot.

I mean, if I were an atheist, I wouldn’t go around telling people it here. But I’ve also kept a lot of my religious opinions on believer’s baptism and evolution in the closet, just because I know they would offend a good number of people, if not the majority. It’s not “oppression,” it’s just something you don’t say because it would offend people. That’s not evil suppression - here, at least, it’s just good manners.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies