Hillary endorses Whitney Williams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hillary endorses Whitney Williams
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary endorses Whitney Williams  (Read 2625 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »

This seems like an odd move. Cooney has a much better chance of winning the general and as far as I can tell he is as pro-choice as Williams. Will this have any impact or do people not care about Hillary anymore?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »

I mentioned this in the Montana legislature thread, but it's probably just repaying a favour - Williams is a former Clinton staffer,
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »

RIP Williams campaign.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »

Cooney is the only candidate in the race with a chance of winning the GE bad move
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Hope Cooney will win
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »

If she somehow wins the primary this will be used as an attack ad against her.

She's never really lived in Montana and it shows. She's basically a walking caricature of a Limousine Latte Liberal.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »

This (predictable) endorsement was already posted in the MT megathread, so really not sure why it warrants a separate thread.

It... doesn’t? Whitney Williams literally worked in the White House as a staffer under the Clinton administration, was then-First Lady Hillary Clinton's trip director, worked on multiple Hillary Clinton campaigns (including as a Finance Co-Chair in WA in 2008), has been a very generous donor to the Clinton Foundation, and has worked with Hillary Clinton on quite a few development projects and domestic issues. Her entire political history is riddled with ties to the Clintons, and the entire Williams family (which includes former Congressman Pat Williams and former State Senate Leader Carol Williams) has always been fairly close to the Clintons.

Will this have any impact or do people not care about Hillary anymore?

Close to zero impact, and at best (if we’re being very generous to her) a marginal and negligible effect. The kind of Montana Democratic primary voter who cares about Hillary Clinton's endorsement was already going to vote for Whitney Williams anyway.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »

This (predictable) endorsement was already posted in the MT megathread, so really not sure why it warrants a separate thread.

It... doesn’t? Whitney Williams literally worked in the White House as a staffer under the Clinton administration, was then-First Lady Hillary Clinton's trip director, worked on multiple Hillary Clinton campaigns (including as a Finance Co-Chair in WA in 2008), has been a very generous donor to the Clinton Foundation, and has worked with Hillary Clinton on quite a few development projects and domestic issues. Her entire political history is riddled with ties to the Clintons, and the entire Williams family (which includes former Congressman Pat Williams and former State Senate Leader Carol Williams) has always been fairly close to the Clintons.

Will this have any impact or do people not care about Hillary anymore?

Close to zero impact, and at best (if we’re being very generous to her) a marginal and negligible effect. The kind of Montana Democratic primary voter who cares about Hillary Clinton's endorsement was already going to vote for Whitney Williams anyway.

Hillary would look like a real ingrate if she DIDN'T endorse Williams.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:25:41 PM »

The endorsement isn't odd, what is odd to me is highlighting her pro-choice stance in Montana. There is a way for Hillary to make the endorsement and rally the base for Williams without emphasizing an issue that a majority of the state feels differently on and will harm her in the general election.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »

The endorsement isn't odd, what is odd to me is highlighting her pro-choice stance in Montana. There is a way for Hillary to make the endorsement and rally the base for Williams without emphasizing an issue that a majority of the state feels differently on and will harm her in the general election.

Is Montana really that socially conservative?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 11:35:00 PM »

I didn't find a poll on abortion in Montana so was just guessing on that. The state definitely has a libertarian streak, but I still don't see it being a successful issue to run on there, similar to Wendy Davis running on it in Texas in 2014.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »

Hopefully this helps Cooney in the primary. Honestly, Hillary needs to go back to the woods.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »

Cooney likely wins. Incumbent lieutenant governors have an advantage in gubernatorial primaries.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »

I didn't find a poll on abortion in Montana so was just guessing on that. The state definitely has a libertarian streak, but I still don't see it being a successful issue to run on there, similar to Wendy Davis running on it in Texas in 2014.
I imagine that while Montanans may support abortion freedoms, they aren't rabid #ShoutYourAbortion SJW types.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 10:13:02 AM »

When is HRC going to realize that her endorsements hurt campaigns rather than helping them?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »

Hopefully this helps Cooney in the primary. Honestly, Hillary needs to go back to the woods.

Weird how nobody said this about Al Gore or John Kerry or John McCain or Mitt Romney. All of whom had active careers in public life after their failed candidacies. Yet every time Hillary says literally anything, inevitably somebody is going to say she should keep her mouth shut forever. Despite the fact that she got more votes than any candidate in history except Obama and is the first woman ever to win the popular vote for president.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2020, 05:27:19 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Weird how nobody said this about Al Gore or John Kerry or John McCain or Mitt Romney. All of whom had active careers in public life after their failed candidacies. Yet every time Hillary says literally anything, inevitably somebody is going to say she should keep her mouth shut forever. Despite the fact that she got more votes than any candidate in history except Obama and is the first woman ever to win the popular vote for president.

Hillary Clinton was the second most unpopular nominee of modern presidential politics.

Republicans will, eventually, learn to say the thing about former president Trump. They did something similar for Dubya.
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 02:19:04 PM by Heir of Camelot »

Whitney Williams has momentum. Carol's list or something just did a 700K expenditure on her behalf (which goes a long way in Montana) and she is swamping Cooney in Advertising. You can't turn on Youtube without seeing her ads for example. A lot of female voters are jumping over to her candidacy and they have outsized influence in the Primary. Cooney should have picked a female running mate. I still think he's favored but it's more like 60-40 now where it was 80-20 in his favor a few weeks ago. He also is getting some bad press for making campaign calls in his Lt. Gov. office which isn't allowed and isn't helping things. Not a great week for my boy Cooney.

It's unfortunate because if WW wins the primary she is basically Gianforte's wildest dream to run against.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 11:42:41 PM »

can we not
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 01:48:50 AM »

Hillary Clinton was the second most unpopular nominee of modern presidential politics.

Republicans will, eventually, learn to say the thing about former president Trump. They did something similar for Dubya.

Last time I checked Dubya's legacy was a failed war and a ruined economy. What exactly Clinton did that was as bad or worse than that?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:59 AM »

Last time I checked Dubya's legacy was a failed war and a ruined economy. What exactly Clinton did that was as bad or worse than that?

A lot was equated with Bush's legacy by cable TV to drive #bothsides narratives, but Bush did poll about 20 points worse than HRC by the end of his presidency. Regardless, both are politically toxic and they are shirked because this of that. Perhaps Trump won't be abandoned if he doesn't plumb the depths W fell to, but I think it's likely some time after the end of his presidency.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 11:25:31 PM »

I still hope Cooney wins, but there is a no doubt that this should be a boon to Williams. Hillary Clinton is a former Democratic nominee for President, former Secretary of State, and a former Senator from New York, while her endorsement may not be as relevant in Montana as in other places, this will still have an impact on the race, simply due to the influence that she holds in the Democratic Party.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 12:57:17 AM »

I still hope Cooney wins, but there is a no doubt that this should be a boon to Williams. Hillary Clinton is a former Democratic nominee for President, former Secretary of State, and a former Senator from New York, while her endorsement may not be as relevant in Montana as in other places, this will still have an impact on the race, simply due to the influence that she holds in the Democratic Party.

Eh, all the $$$ she’s poured into this race will have more of an impact than a predictable Hillary Clinton tweet expressing support for her former employee. It’s not like Williams' ties to the Clintons hadn’t been well-known before she received her endorsement or anything.

Whitney Williams has momentum. Carol's list or something just did a 700K expenditure on her behalf (which goes a long way in Montana) and she is swamping Cooney in Advertising. You can't turn on Youtube without seeing her ads for example. A lot of female voters are jumping over to her candidacy and they have outsized influence in the Primary. Cooney should have picked a female running mate. I still think he's favored but it's more like 60-40 now where it was 80-20 in his favor a few weeks ago. He also is getting some bad press for making campaign calls in his Lt. Gov. office which isn't allowed and isn't helping things. Not a great week for my boy Cooney.

It's unfortunate because if WW wins the primary she is basically Gianforte's wildest dream to run against.

My impression has been that he didn’t take her candidacy seriously enough in the beginning even though he clearly should have, especially given his 2000 campaign flop, Kathleen Williams' success in the 2018 primary, and the ridiculous number of low information voters in this state who care more about the Williams family name and fancy ads or whatever (am I the only one who’s already had the pleasure of having to explain to people that Kathleen and Whitney aren’t related?). Cooney has been campaigning mostly like a general election candidate, but like Fox he might have gotten a little ahead of himself in the primary. She’s already outraised him, and even the MTGOP is picking up on some of her momentum—that ethics complaint they filed today couldn’t have come at a better time given that all the ballots have been mailed out already and pretty much everyone is voting right now. They’re (understandably) salivating at the prospect of running against Williams.

FTR, I’m with you on your prediction of a Cooney win and I wouldn’t be so quick to underestimate him, but there’s a good chance the D primary ends up being closer than the R primary, which I wouldn’t have anticipated two months ago. If Williams really pulls it off and we actually get a Williams vs. Gianforte race, I’ll literally be rolling on the floor laughing on election night, rejoicing at the meme generator that this campaign will inevitably turn into even though I really, really hate Williams.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »

It seems to me if Williams wins the primary, this race ends up becoming Likely R no?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »

It seems to me if Williams wins the primary, this race ends up becoming Likely R no?

Whitney Williams might succeed in buying the Democratic primary, but she’s going to have one hell of a time winning a general election against someone like Gianforte with that strategy. Gianforte is also more likely to go scorced earth against her than Fox and certainly isn’t the worst campaigner either (I actually think he’s stronger than Daines, tbh).

Definitely more winnable for Republicans than the Senate race, but I’m not going to take anything for granted.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies