Could MN 2020 be the gay marriage map and a similar margin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:32:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Could MN 2020 be the gay marriage map and a similar margin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could MN 2020 be the gay marriage map and a similar margin?  (Read 1038 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2020, 10:54:25 AM »
« edited: May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 AM by lfromnj »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Amendment_1

Only exception should be Scott County.

All the southern MN counties that voted against it were college counties and Rochester I think and they were all pretty close in 2016(within 4 points)
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »

Not really. I don't think Carlton or Lake counties are going to vote for Trump in 2020 since Clinton and Ellison won them.
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »

Hm it's certainly an interesting proposition. Even though they voted Democrat in 2018, I don't think it's impossible for Trump to win Lake and Carlton, given how sharply they swung in 2016.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

Interestingly, Maine 2016 was exactly the gay marriage map of 2012.  Washington was close, sans Pierce and Clark counties.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »

Carlton basically makes this a no. And I think even Lake is unlikely, Biden is a stronger candidate than Hillary there.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »

LGBT people have handled their victory well. This is a dead issue -- deader even than interracial marriage, which took longer to win acceptance. America is much more placid about homosexuality than it used to be.

In my case, my experience with violent (if misdirected) homophobia convinced me to get on the bandwagon for same-sex marriage because whatever made life safer for LGBT people made life safer for me. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »

Interestingly, Maine 2016 was exactly the gay marriage map of 2012.  Washington was close, sans Pierce and Clark counties.

Maryland had Anne Arrundel which was Mccain Romney Clinton and Frederick which was Mccain Romney Trump(but also trending D slightly) vote for it but the super majority black, and 90% D prince george's county voted against it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:40:04 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Amendment_1

Only exception should be Scott County.

All the southern MN counties that voted against it were college counties and Rochester I think and they were all pretty close in 2016(within 4 points)
This will be Kamala Harris' re election map in 2028 lol
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 03:36:33 AM »

All of Scott, Carlton and Lake seem unlikely. But it's certainly not impossible.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 07:01:16 AM »

It's amazing how much those coalitions are close to the Trump/Democrat coalitions today. Romney underperformed the anti-gay marriage vote. It goes to show you how bad of a candidate he was for economic centrists and social conservatives and how much he was tailored to wealthy and/or college degree suburbanites.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »

LGBT people have handled their victory well. This is a dead issue -- deader even than interracial marriage, which took longer to win acceptance. America is much more placid about homosexuality than it used to be.

In my case, my experience with violent (if misdirected) homophobia convinced me to get on the bandwagon for same-sex marriage because whatever made life safer for LGBT people made life safer for me. 

I also have experienced misdirected homophobia. I used to live next to this crazy religious right, uber-Bush supporting lady. When I was a teenager, I found out after one of our neighbors told us that she was going around the neighborhood telling people I was gay (I'm not btw) and to stay away from me. She also convinced her foster son to shoot one of our cats with a bb gun, which temporarily caused it to be unable to walk.

That experience revealed to me first hand how malignant and pervasive homophobia was (and is), as well as the maliciousness of the right in general.

Anyway, the rest of the story is that she poisoned her husband (he survived) and took the foster kids to Ohio. This was in about 2005/2006. I hear she had a heart attack years later but I presume she's still alive. I'm not gonna list her last name - but me and all her neighbors referred to her as "Crazy Rachel".
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »

Its a dead issue but compare it to the 2012 Presidential election in Minnesota and then the 2016 Presidential election and tell me which one its closer to.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »

I'm surprised Clay County (Moorhead) was anti-SSM (though it was close).  That's a county I expect to flip D in 2020.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 09:16:41 PM »

Coming from Manhattan, NYC, I'm pretty shocked to see how many people oppose gay marriage. But yeah, the county map will likely look simillar.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »

Coming from Manhattan, NYC, I'm pretty shocked to see how many people oppose gay marriage. But yeah, the county map will likely look simillar.

Like, 2012 was much more favorable for gay rights then 2004 where bans passed in states like Michigan and California with over 60%, in Mississippi 87% of voters voted in favor of the ban and the closest state was Oregon where only 57% of voters voted to approve the ban on SSM.

https://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/02/ballot.samesex.marriage/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies