This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:19:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 156816 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3175 on: August 19, 2023, 03:38:17 PM »

So, uh, what exactly has happened to the Labour Party in the past few years? I don't mean the immediate aftermath of Corbyn being replaced--all that was expected--but a total surrender of nearly everything Labour historically stood for to an extent not seen since the Blair years. Starmer has come out against nationalizations (which have overwhelming public support), against increased public spending (and also against tax hikes, if the concern is over deficits), and is seemingly trying to out-Tory the Tories on immigration and trans rights. What, outside of maybe climate commitments, distinguishes Starmer from Sunak at this point?

My best guess is that Starmer is afraid of doing anything that could jeopardize Labour's massive polling lead, but playing Thomas Dewey and promising absolutely nothing to anyone is exactly how you lose that polling lead by next year.

Ah yes, the Blair years, renowned for a dearth of public spending.
I'm speaking overall--Blair spent quite a lot but his tenure as leader of Labour was still a major shift to the right (as was the case for most left-of-center parties in the 1990s). Starmer seems unwilling to commit to anything at all. And, again, the total abandonment of any sort of commitment to trans rights or migrant rights.

With regards to trans rights, yes, I find Starmer’s stance disappointing, but to pretend that he is trying to “out-Tory the Tories” is ridiculous hyperbole; the point is he has been trying to thread an awkward middle ground on the issue. As far as immigration is concerned, I really have no idea what you’re on about. Starmer has certainly not said anything anywhere near as right-wing as, say, even Ed Miliband on it, and in fact has taken a number of notable pro-immigration stands as Blair says in the post above me.

As for (Tony) Blair, I think you’re taking a massively superficial, online leftist view of his government, but that’s tangential to the main topic at hand.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3176 on: August 19, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »

Is this not overtly to the right of basically the entire US Democratic Party?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3177 on: August 19, 2023, 08:41:31 PM »

So, uh, what exactly has happened to the Labour Party in the past few years? I don't mean the immediate aftermath of Corbyn being replaced--all that was expected--but a total surrender of nearly everything Labour historically stood for to an extent not seen since the Blair years. Starmer has come out against nationalizations (which have overwhelming public support), against increased public spending (and also against tax hikes, if the concern is over deficits), and is seemingly trying to out-Tory the Tories on immigration and trans rights. What, outside of maybe climate commitments, distinguishes Starmer from Sunak at this point?

My best guess is that Starmer is afraid of doing anything that could jeopardize Labour's massive polling lead, but playing Thomas Dewey and promising absolutely nothing to anyone is exactly how you lose that polling lead by next year.
It’s also not a defence (as it was appalling) but the Wilson Government iirc changed the law to stop British passport holders from Kenya arriving in the U.K.- the party has never been particularly progressive on migration!

It's kind of morbiduly funny that in Callaghan claims that he had to act in extreme speed to change the law after the Kenyan Indians found a loophole. Apparently according to him holding a british passport was a loophole.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3178 on: August 20, 2023, 04:31:49 AM »

What is this, a very online US leftist has a wildly erroneous impression of Starmer's Labour?

Must be another day with "day" in it Smiley

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3179 on: August 20, 2023, 02:38:36 PM »

a total surrender of nearly everything Labour historically stood for to an extent not seen since the Blair years.

Well yes, hardline anti-Communism doesn't make sense in a post-1980s world.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3180 on: August 21, 2023, 10:39:28 AM »

a total surrender of nearly everything Labour historically stood for to an extent not seen since the Blair years.

Well yes, hardline anti-Communism doesn't make sense in a post-1980s world.

Top class snark there Cheesy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3181 on: August 24, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »

Party fundraising figure are out and Labour raised £47 million; even with inflation that is rather a lot of money.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3182 on: August 25, 2023, 10:19:39 AM »

The usual suspects complaining about this just like they do with everything else.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3183 on: August 25, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »

I’m heading up to Rutherglen in the next few weeks. Each regions being made to send someone - which I guess means we are taking it seriously. Still not 100% sure whether it’ll be a back room deal (since I’m very conspicuously English) but I’m interested to see how Scottish Labour are fairing & what the response is like.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3184 on: August 26, 2023, 05:19:44 AM »

Any of our other posters here heading up? Would be interesting to compare notes from the doorstep.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3185 on: August 27, 2023, 05:36:57 AM »

This seems like unnecessarily boxing yourself in (particularly on income and property taxes)

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3186 on: August 27, 2023, 06:11:29 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2023, 10:27:07 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Ah, but the word "plans" - isn't that a dead giveaway?

Plans which could be scrapped in week one with the age old "things are even worse than we thought" gambit - its not as if that hasn't happened in pretty recent memory or anything.

No, this doesn't mean Reeves and Starmer are simply lying (I do expect at least some of what she is saying there to be maintained) but it does overlook the reality that they will have much more room to do stuff in government than many are currently assuming.

As pointed out in a very good piece by Jonn Elledge just the other day.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #3187 on: August 27, 2023, 07:18:59 AM »

I don't really get why some people get so upsted about people not liking Starmer when you keep having to tell yourselves that "Don't worry, actually Starmer and his team are shameless liars" every time something like this comes out.

Like, I know exactly how it feels to have no real choice but support Y because the alternative is so horrifically tearing the country apart, but I don't *actually* like the Chilean left you know...
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3188 on: August 27, 2023, 07:39:05 AM »

I can say that a 24 point win was not enough for NZ Labour to 'unbox' themselves from those types of promises so they both have not made transformative change and just a few years later are about to get thrown out anyway (perhaps even because they did not do enough on cost of living and public services seem to have gotten worse not better). I hope you're right that UK politics operate a lot differently. Really though, I am pretty sceptical that Starmer has a good idea how to improve the UK, winning the 2024 election is not a governance plan.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3189 on: August 27, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »

To the extent that there's a story here - and there isn't really as it's no different to what has been the line for quite a while - it is the continued careful refusal to turn 'we have no plans to do this' into 'we pledge not to'. Present rates of income tax are, of course, still higher than they were in 1997 when Labour made an absolute pledge not to raise them. Doesn't mean that the intention is to raise them (the hope will be that greater economic growth will mean there's little need) but there's deliberate wriggle-room there if it turns out to be necessary. If it does come to it, then they will just blame the previous government for making a mess of things.*

But it's worth noting that it has been a very long time indeed since Labour went into an election promising significant tax rises, and even back in the old days (when most people did not pay income tax and so it was politically much easier to do it) the pledges were always a little hazy. Despite the massive increases in public spending proposed in the 2019 manifesto, for instance, all that was proposed as far as income tax was concerned was fiddling with the bands to bring more people into the 40% rate and to increase the 45% rate to 50%, and proposals on other taxes were very woolly.

*Of course one extra form of de facto wealth tax is already proposed and has been mentioned enough that it isn't purely policy for symbolic reasons, which you do always have to watch with anything related to private education.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3190 on: August 27, 2023, 09:11:49 AM »

If Starmer and Reeves tackled the real issue of land reform and insisted on taxing that form of wealth rather than income, I'd be sympathetic. I think I speak for many progressives when I say I have no issue with a CEO who gets up early in the morning not being overtaxed but I do have issue with property developers, speculators and lords using sitting capital to deform markets. The real inequality in Britain is land-based. Weirdly enough Theresa May was the only to be honest about that, because she is fundamentally more of a ln honest person. But the real elites at the Telegraph and co that Reeves sucks up to now just labelled it a "dementia tax" and the spin was enough to force a humiliation.

They won't because they want to be part of the toff elite, not deconstruct it. And luckily they have enablers on line giving convaluted explanations for them.

A sad opportunity missed unless the Labour opposition immediately convert to a Georgist platform. A couple of planning permission relaxations won't solve real wealth inequality in a society like the UK where very few people own a huge amount of land.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3191 on: August 27, 2023, 09:43:02 AM »

If Starmer and Reeves tackled the real issue of land reform and insisted on taxing that form of wealth rather than income, I'd be sympathetic. I think I speak for many progressives when I say I have no issue with a CEO who gets up early in the morning not being overtaxed but I do have issue with property developers, speculators and lords using sitting capital to deform markets. The real inequality in Britain is land-based. Weirdly enough Theresa May was the only to be honest about that, because she is fundamentally more of a ln honest person. But the real elites at the Telegraph and co that Reeves sucks up to now just labelled it a "dementia tax" and the spin was enough to force a humiliation.

They won't because they want to be part of the toff elite, not deconstruct it. And luckily they have enablers on line giving convaluted explanations for them.

A sad opportunity missed unless the Labour opposition immediately convert to a Georgist platform. A couple of planning permission relaxations won't solve real wealth inequality in a society like the UK where very few people own a huge amount of land.

We should expropriate the Percy family.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3192 on: August 27, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »

I don't really get why some people get so upsted about people not liking Starmer when you keep having to tell yourselves that "Don't worry, actually Starmer and his team are shameless liars" every time something like this comes out.

But the reasoning of leftists like yourself appears to be "Starmer is a horrific shameless liar, *except* when he (or his trusted sidekicks like Reeves) say stuff to the right wing media to placate them - on these occasions, and these alone, he is telling nothing but the TOTAL UNVARNISHED TRUTH".

You don't have to be a blind, naively trusting optimist to see the possible flaws in this.

The really depressing thing could be that some degree of subterfuge has become necessary for even centre left parties to get elected - deal with the causes of *that*, and we may be getting somewhere.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #3193 on: August 27, 2023, 10:37:23 AM »

But the reasoning of leftists like yourself appears to be "Starmer is a horrific shameless liar, *except* when he (or his trusted sidekicks like Reeves) say stuff to the right wing media to placate them - on these occasions, and these alone, he is telling nothing but the TOTAL UNVARNISHED TRUTH".

You don't have to be a blind, naively trusting optimist to see the possible flaws in this.

The really depressing thing could be that some degree of subterfuge has become necessary for even centre left parties to get elected - deal with the causes of *that*, and we may be getting somewhere.

Huh

I (and most of the "leftists like myself" I assume) think that Starmer and co. are telling the truth and that's why we are so appalled by his "plans". You are the one saying that he is actually lying. 
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3194 on: August 27, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »

He did blatantly lie - during his leadership campaign.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3195 on: August 27, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »

To the extent that there's a story here - and there isn't really as it's no different to what has been the line for quite a while - it is the continued careful refusal to turn 'we have no plans to do this' into 'we pledge not to'. Present rates of income tax are, of course, still higher than they were in 1997 when Labour made an absolute pledge not to raise them.

Top rate was 40% for most of the government; Brown put it up to 50% for the final year in government, which was then reduced to 45%.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3196 on: August 27, 2023, 03:34:09 PM »

I don't get this - wealth tax is broadly popular (I pretty much support it) and doesn't rock the boat like nationalisation would. Just say nothing and don't annoy people.

FWIW the mansion tax debacle left some scars on the party; it was a relatively benign & soft form of a wealth tax but it was quite toxic in the outer london marginals and imho probably played into the results we saw in 2015.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3197 on: August 28, 2023, 04:09:30 AM »

I don't get this - wealth tax is broadly popular (I pretty much support it) and doesn't rock the boat like nationalisation would. Just say nothing and don't annoy people.

FWIW the mansion tax debacle left some scars on the party; it was a relatively benign & soft form of a wealth tax but it was quite toxic in the outer london marginals and imho probably played into the results we saw in 2015.

It was toxic, of course, because of the cynical and mendacious media campaign against it - which had nothing to do (honest!) with those people being just the types who would be affected by one.

These were the times when the dread term "aspiration" was still chucked around like confetti.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3198 on: August 28, 2023, 05:31:22 AM »

It was toxic, of course, because of the cynical and mendacious media campaign against it - which had nothing to do (honest!) with those people being just the types who would be affected by one.

These were the times when the dread term "aspiration" was still chucked around like confetti.

Yes in the same way that a lot of people think they will have to pay the ULEZ! It’s part of the reason why imv the temptation and current approach is just to leave the thresholds and push loads of people into a higher rate of tax rather than increasing a new tax.

I remember in 2019 someone complained on the doorstep that labour would increase his taxes as he earnt his income via a dividend!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3199 on: August 28, 2023, 05:33:05 AM »

Yes in the same way that a lot of people think they will have to pay the ULEZ! It’s part of the reason why imv the temptation and current approach is just to leave the thresholds and push loads of people into a higher rate of tax rather than increasing a new tax.

I remember in 2019 someone complained on the doorstep that labour would increase his taxes as he earnt his income via a dividend!

Indeed, but quite a few of those are just about to find out they actually won't.

Wonder how that might affect things?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies