This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 05:54:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 160075 times)
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2975 on: June 02, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »

Surprising, and frankly bizarre decision.

https://labourlist.org/2023/06/metro-mayor-jamie-driscoll-north-tyne-north-east-left-nec-ban/

Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2976 on: June 02, 2023, 02:41:44 PM »

Not really--it was widely seen as a possibility after the Ken Loach event. But Twitter is full of people who think this has been done for Nick Forbes who are outraged. The letter is obviously untrue though. Anyone could win it for Labour next year.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2977 on: June 03, 2023, 04:08:28 AM »

If its a "fix" for anyone, it isn't likely to be Nick Forbes.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2978 on: June 03, 2023, 04:24:29 AM »

If its a "fix" for anyone, it isn't likely to be Nick Forbes.

That’s the point, yes. The right’s candidate is Kim McGuinness—and this isn’t some sort of secret—but the people purporting to ‘explain’ North East Labour politics to the outraged outsiders in reality know so little that they think it’s going to be Nick Forbes.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2979 on: June 03, 2023, 04:26:59 AM »

Forbes is one of their bogeymen in the way McGuinness isn't. And since much of the "very online left" is now a perpetual outrage machine, that sort of thing is to be expected.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2980 on: June 03, 2023, 09:57:37 AM »

Not surprising. If anyone on the left had a brain, their main goal would be to heavily weaken the NEC and abolish the general secretary position.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2981 on: June 04, 2023, 05:23:49 AM »

I think Ken Loach is a bad filmmaker and a worse person, and I’d sooner vote for Nick Forbes than Jamie Driscoll in a selection, but this is a ridiculous overreaction.

*unless* he was given a chance to repudiate Loach and didn’t take it, but even then I’d still say let the members decide.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2982 on: June 04, 2023, 06:33:45 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2023, 01:17:44 PM by CumbrianLefty »

I think Ken Loach is a bad filmmaker and a worse person, and I’d sooner vote for Nick Forbes than Jamie Driscoll in a selection, but this is a ridiculous overreaction.

*unless* he was given a chance to repudiate Loach and didn’t take it, but even then I’d still say let the members decide.

It does seem that may be the case, though I still don't disagree with your conclusion. Especially since as some have pointed out, he wouldn't have been likely to win anyway.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2983 on: June 05, 2023, 03:33:55 AM »

Not surprising. If anyone on the left had a brain, their main goal would be to heavily weaken the NEC and abolish the general secretary position.

Centralising all power in the leader's office is certainly an approach, but not one that would actually strengthen the left.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2984 on: June 05, 2023, 03:39:58 AM »

Centralising all power in the leader's office is certainly an approach, but not one that would actually strengthen the left.

Obviously it's being done to destroy the left.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2985 on: June 05, 2023, 04:57:40 AM »

Obviously it's being done to destroy the left.

Yes, but if you abolish the general secretary and weaken the NEC, then by default you are centralising power in the leader's office. I get that Max doesn't understand how the Labour Party works and has a real problem with the "organised" bit of "organised labour", but I think we should be clear about what he's actually suggesting and why it would do the opposite of what he thinks.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2986 on: June 05, 2023, 09:01:41 AM »

The GMB and Unite unions are kicking up a fuss about Labour’s plan to ban new oil and gas developments. The former isn’t too surprising (they are the only people outside right wing think tanks who think fracking has a political future), but having Sharon Graham call for Labour to moderate its policy is indicative that Starmer may have overstepped the mark.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2987 on: June 05, 2023, 09:32:06 AM »

It is a matter of having members in what's left of the North Sea oil and gas industry and (especially for Unite) members who are employed in the industries further along the chain: if we think back to (oh dear) the Falkirk affair, then we remember that the Grangemouth Refinery is of critical importance to Unite in Scotland. But in reality the industry is doomed (even if we ignore environmental concerns there's just not much left that's safe or economic to extract: notably and ominously a large and increasing proportion of finds have turned out to be busts...) and, unlike what was the case with the coal industry, it is not in Labour's electoral interest to prefer palliative care over a swift conclusion. It might have been before Scottish Labour's post-referendum travails, but where things stand now, even a substantial revival is unlikely to feature areas dependent on the oil and gas industries, directly or indirectly.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2988 on: June 05, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »

Indeed - even if the SNP lose over half their Westminster seats next time they are still likely to hold on to Aberdeen, and probably quite comfortably too.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2989 on: June 05, 2023, 03:20:15 PM »

Lord Morris, who I believe served in both the Wilson & Blair Governments, has passed.

I don't know much about him but he was one of those figures who don't really exist in modern THIGMOO.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2990 on: June 05, 2023, 03:34:51 PM »

Lord Morris, who I believe served in both the Wilson & Blair Governments, has passed.

I don't know much about him but he was one of those figures who don't really exist in modern THIGMOO.

Yes, he was the last survivor of the Wilson cabinets (he was Secretary of State for Wales 1974-9) and later served as Blair's first Attorney General. In between he was the Shadow Attorney General for all but a couple of years of Labour's long stretch in opposition and managed to combine this with serving as a Recorder (i.e. a part-time judge). He wasn't far off being an exact contemporary of Elystan Morgan (who died a couple of years ago) who was also from a small village in the North of Ceredigion and who also combined legal and political careers, though there were differences: Morris's political career was more notable than his legal one and the opposite was true of Morgan, and Morris was always a Labour Party man, whereas Morgan defected from Plaid in 1965. They were even a member of the same Inn of Court (Gray's).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2991 on: June 05, 2023, 04:21:01 PM »

Yes, he was the last survivor of the Wilson cabinets (he was Secretary of State for Wales 1974-9) and later served as Blair's first Attorney General. In between he was the Shadow Attorney General for all but a couple of years of Labour's long stretch in opposition and managed to combine this with serving as a Recorder (i.e. a part-time judge). He wasn't far off being an exact contemporary of Elystan Morgan (who died a couple of years ago) who was also from a small village in the North of Ceredigion and who also combined legal and political careers, though there were differences: Morris's political career was more notable than his legal one and the opposite was true of Morgan, and Morris was always a Labour Party man, whereas Morgan defected from Plaid in 1965. They were even a member of the same Inn of Court (Gray's).

I was thinking about this earlier. I think in terms of high office it's just (err...) David Owen, Bill Rogers (/err...) and Roy Hattersley left of the 1974 to 1979 Cabinet?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2992 on: June 05, 2023, 05:45:30 PM »

I was thinking about this earlier. I think in terms of high office it's just (err...) David Owen, Bill Rogers (/err...) and Roy Hattersley left of the 1974 to 1979 Cabinet?

Just double-checked this, and, yes, just those three. Owen is eighty five, Hattersley is eighty eight and Rodgers is ninety five. I've decided to check Junior Ministers as well: Peter Snape (eighty one), Margaret Beckett (eighty and still an MP of course), Frank White (eighty three), Ted Rowlands (eighty three), John Tomlinson (eighty three), Shirley Summerskill (ninety one), Gavin Strang (seventy nine), Patrick Duffy (one hundred and two!), Jack Cunningham (eighty three), Eric Deakins (ninety), Les Huckfield (eighty one), Clinton Davis (ninety four) and Barry Jones (eighty four).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2993 on: June 07, 2023, 04:24:42 AM »

Shortlist for the Labour candidacy in my seat (Copeland) is out. Though given the substantial changes being made for Cumbria seats in the boundary review, it might have been better to leave them until it formally becomes law in the autumn?

Anyway, six people on it - but not one of the main "local" hopefuls, Joseph Ghayouba.

This is likely to cause a bit of unhappiness.

(I also note that Gillian Troughton is, incredibly, trying yet again)

Troughton has pulled out in a bit of a huff (see Michael Crick's Tomorrow's MPs Twitter feed).  This reduces the shortlist to three, Markus Campbell-Savours, son of the former MP and I presume the favourite, Thomas Docherty, former MP for Dunfermline & West Fife, and Josh MacAlister.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2994 on: June 07, 2023, 04:32:40 AM »

Troughton has pulled out in a bit of a huff (see Michael Crick's Tomorrow's MPs Twitter feed). This reduces the shortlist to three, Markus Campbell-Savours, son of the former MP and I presume the favourite, Thomas Docherty, former MP for Dunfermline & West Fife, and Josh MacAlister.
Apparently it’s wrong to have no ‘BME’ candidates in 99% white Copeland…
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2995 on: June 07, 2023, 06:14:16 AM »

That is code for "Ghayouba should have been included".

A widespread feeling locally that MacAllister is the one favoured by party HQ - given all that has gone on, I wonder whether that will help or hinder his chances.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2996 on: June 07, 2023, 06:24:42 AM »

That is code for "Ghayouba should have been included".

A widespread feeling locally that MacAllister is the one favoured by party HQ - given all that has gone on, I wonder whether that will help or hinder his chances.
You do wonder if at some point the fixers will cotton onto the fact everyone knows who they are fixing contests for and therefore make it look like they are fixing it for one candidate so people vote for their secretly preferred candidate instead (or is this all a bit 3D chess?).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2997 on: June 07, 2023, 07:36:00 AM »

In some of the least surprising news you'll hear all day, Gerald Jones won the Merthyr Tydfil & Upper Cynon selection.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2998 on: June 07, 2023, 08:51:26 AM »

In some of the least surprising news you'll hear all day, Gerald Jones won the Merthyr Tydfil & Upper Cynon selection.

Though it was quite close, 231 to 215 according to Crick.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2999 on: June 07, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »

Though it was quite close, 231 to 215 according to Crick.

That's also not surprising: Jones's base is in the part of his existing constituency that isn't in this new one.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies