This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:32:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 151
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 151469 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »

Can't imagine the national Tories are too thrilled about the prospect of a by-election in Moray though

I think they plan to skirt that issue by having Ross remain MP for Moray, for which there is the precedent of Alex Salmond continuing to sit as MP for Banff and Buchan after his election to the Scottish Parliament.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 04:32:11 PM by Blair »

Sure there's a reason (probably to save Labour figures at the time) but it's baffling to me that that being an MP doesn't disqualify you from holding other forms of elective office e.g councillor, MSP or London Assembly Member.

There's irrc a fair few Tory Cllrs who are now MPs miles away from their ward and frankly that's enough of a pisstake but being both an MSP & MP at the same time should not be allowled.

In funny news this is actually a sub plot in the SNP's current wars; as Joanna Cherry has effectively been barred from becoming First Minister as they said in order to run for Holyrood she needed to resign as an MP.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2020, 06:15:26 PM »

Actually, I believe the decision was even more Machievellian than that - they ruled that she would need to resign in order to put herself forward for the selection.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2020, 05:08:01 AM »

Actually, I believe the decision was even more Machievellian than that - they ruled that she would need to resign in order to put herself forward for the selection.

We love a stitch up.

Covid-19 has actually hid or delayed the huge internal divisions within the SNP; who've always been remarkably good at keeping this stuff behind closed doors.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2020, 05:12:49 AM »

The 4 year quest to get Katy Clark a safe seat has paid off; the final act of Corbynism ironically.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2020, 07:09:15 AM »

Yes, such an overall hilariously awful list had to include Labour's own contribution Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:29 AM »

Yes, such an overall hilariously awful list had to include Labour's own contribution Smiley

I should have added of course that Tom Watson was expected to get one as part of his deal but it got blocked; which in a way sums up the last 4 years for him too.

It's good to see Sue Hayman return though; I had suspected Starmer would appoint her (they were very close as she was basically part of the Brexit team)

The political 'non-alligned' list is absolute rubbish; god knows what Kate Hoey and John Woodcock are going to bring to the Lords. The second name very much surprised me as well
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »

Whatever happened to Woodcock's "independent investigation" into harassment claims against him?

(he asked cynically)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

As for SLab potential good leaders, I've liked Paul Sweeney for a while.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »

As for SLab potential good leaders, I've liked Paul Sweeney for a while.

Yeah both him & Ged Killen were extremely good and a much needed breath of fresh air; it was beyond depressing to have to watch them watch their careers go up in smokes
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 02:40:51 PM by Blair »

Big Len clearly reads this thread as we were saying this weeks ago!

The article is well worth reading; as usual it's more well measured than the headline about withdrawing funding (a threat that Len made in 2014 against Ed). There's a line about leaving the fights against Keir unless they're based on policy; this shows that some people within UNITE & the left are actually able to plan ahead
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »

Yes, but union leaders know how their interventions are going to be reported. This is sabre-rattling, the more measured words are just about providing plausible deniability.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:28 AM »

McCluskey really is incapable of speaking in any other way, though Wink
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2020, 05:30:37 AM »

If your sabre rattles, it needs fixing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2020, 05:35:59 AM »

Which is a reason why Turner's possible succession might be welcomed - they appear to be somewhat more from the "speak softly and carry a big stick" school.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »

Yeah I mean my general rule of Labour internal politics is that if you're complaining loudly & publicly it's because you've already lost the vote/battle/motion etc
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:40 AM »

In a shock horror I am old enough too to vote for a youth officer, despite having left university almost two years ago!

These races are often extremely petty, hilarous, vicious and mindblowing; so god knows what the result will be. The young labour membership has historically been more right wing than the membership as a whole (it was the section other than Scotland to vote for Owen Smith) but who knows what will happen.

We're at the lucky stage where one NEC vote is no longer a matter of life & death and I expect this will be even more so after the CLP NEC election

Tis begun
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »

Barry Sheerman the latest Labour bod to commit an AS related faux pas on social media. Tbh I am increasingly sympathetic to the view that our MPs should be discouraged from contributing on Twitter beyond the absolute minimum.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2020, 08:27:35 AM »

This mere days after he made a bizarre semi-defence of Ghislaine Maxwell on the same Platform. He will be eighty in a couple of weeks. Hard not to wonder if we have another case of the Kaufman's on our hands, urgh.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2020, 10:38:42 AM »

Barry Sheerman the latest Labour bod to commit an AS related faux pas on social media. Tbh I am increasingly sympathetic to the view that our MPs should be discouraged from contributing on Twitter beyond the absolute minimum.

Rather galling that Starmer hasn't said anything about this, nevermind disciplined him like RLB. So much for 'zero tolerance' to antisemitism.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »

I'm reasonably sure that if Sheerman had been a frontbencher (Heaven forfend!) he'd have been given the sack.

Anyway, a compulsory retirement age for Labour MPs seems increasingly like it would be a good idea. Far too many embarrassments of one sort or another over the past few years, far too many.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2020, 11:09:56 AM »

I'm reasonably sure that if Sheerman had been a frontbencher (Heaven forfend!) he'd have been given the sack.

Anyway, a compulsory retirement age for Labour MPs seems increasingly like it would be a good idea. Far too many embarrassments of one sort or another over the past few years, far too many.

Hypotheses aside, it's still kind of moot. If 'zero tolerance' means anything, then there should be a disciplinary action regardless of the stature within the party. Starmer's said and done literally nothing. Quite telling, sadly.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »

Potentially the bigger issue long-term (since Sheerman gave an apology that was grudging and half-hearted, but still recognisably an apology) is the furore over Rosie Duffield. Duffield made transphobic comments and in return got a lot of justified criticism and quite a lot of abusive tweets. Whilst a lot of MPs (the Shadow Equality minister included) have condemned the abuse, they haven't mentioned the transphobia, which Duffield has doubled down on.

One gets the very definite impression that Starmer does not want to take sides on the escalating fight within Labour over trans rights, but that it is not going to be feasible for very much longer.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2020, 01:31:52 PM by Blair »

99% sure Sheerman was told to apologise by the whips office or by LOTO; if you see his rather sheepish tweet.

This was irc the same treatment given to Abbott, LRM & Riberio-Addy after similar level infractions re AS. Starmer didn't actually say anything about these cases either but each time Labour made a comment on the record (something obvs sactioned by LOTO) & as with LRM an apology was made.
There's generally always three levels to any misconduct by an MP; something that gets you made to apologize, something that gets you sacked from internal party posts & something that gets the whip suspended.

In this case it reached the first threshold & in RLB's case it reached the second threshold- especially as she refused to apologise in full.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »

Potentially the bigger issue long-term (since Sheerman gave an apology that was grudging and half-hearted, but still recognisably an apology) is the furore over Rosie Duffield. Duffield made transphobic comments and in return got a lot of justified criticism and quite a lot of abusive tweets. Whilst a lot of MPs (the Shadow Equality minister included) have condemned the abuse, they haven't mentioned the transphobia, which Duffield has doubled down on.

One gets the very definite impression that Starmer does not want to take sides on the escalating fight within Labour over trans rights, but that it is not going to be feasible for very much longer.

The problem for Labour is that the party has a clearly defined & well supported public policy position on this- but it is becoming a cultural & Political debate rather than a policy one (why is ofc what Section 28 was)

It's worth noting that until 2018 it was widely accepted as part of the mainstream thought of both parties & previous Select Committes that you reform the GRA to allow for self-ID and introduce some sort of change for documents.

The GRA reform was set up with the expectation this would happen! But it was mothballed & delayed-and has seen a very skilled lobbying effort that has turned this debate into something it shouldn't be; endless culture war rows about who said what & what tweet said why.

The danger is that as the above happens it becomes more painful for Labour to get involded but equally in my view becomes much more so morally correct; having seen how my wing of the party absolutely botched the response to Gay Rights in the 1980s it's hilarous to see how many people seem prepared to make the mistake (no doubt to then in 20 years talk with teary eyes about the amazing work we did to support trans rights)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies