This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 151
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 150075 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »

Timms is, and always has been, an outspoken Christian.  Why is it surprising or wrong that he would think this way?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #876 on: April 06, 2021, 12:27:15 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2021, 12:33:56 PM by Blair »

Timms is, and always has been, an outspoken Christian.  Why is it surprising or wrong that he would think this way?

I don't think people who know the PLP are that surprised but it extends the story into it's 5th day (when it should have been dealt with on Saturday) & is frankly asking the whips office to take action or look like they haven't really learnt any lessons from the past few days.

To paraphrase Diane Abbott he also isn't the only Christian in the PLP! But he is an evangelical which is rarer... as was I believe Tim Farron.  

And I just remembered this comes only a few months after Labours Shadow Faith Minister quit for saying that registrars should be exempt from marrying gay couples if they wish.  
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #877 on: April 06, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »

Timms is, and always has been, an outspoken Christian.  Why is it surprising or wrong that he would think this way?

Just because he's an Evangelical doesn't mean he's absolved of his condoning of a homophobic organisation. I get the Evangelical groups like to pretend they are the only charity in town as they continue to brainwash people (with numerous cases of priests shagging members of their congregation in places like Northern Ireland where they pop up, sometimes vulnerable young girls, but that's another debate that this forum doesn't seem to tolerate me bringing up).

Fact is if this was a Muslim organisation the right-wing press would be all over it. Now spiked! and the other useful idiots of the Tory state are smearing and spinning this as Labour again exposed as hypocrites.

Its quite simple. Labour has always been the party for oppressed minorities. Evangelicals aren't oppressed. LGBT though historically have been, by such religious groups, who consider them mentally ill. This MP, who was a victim of religious extremism, should be keeping his own council about these religious groups that have characteristics of cult like behaviour.

I honestly don't care if you or the other R-xx envangelicals here want to play concern troll and act like this is a religious discrimination issue. Your ilk have been found to be manipulating, shagathon-sponsoring hypocrites as much as the Muslim and Jewish and other weirdo "breakaway" sects. Your evangelical cult is slightly more successful with the same techniques you find in football support and "charity". It almost makes nostalgic of the simpler Papist times. At least one can tackle the Catholic Church as a whole and not just a splinter of snake oil salesmen looking for power in a community.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #878 on: April 06, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »

I frequently use this thread to bitch about the movement so thought this would be a lighter note.. probably the most fascinating leadership election in that all 5 were easily big enough figures to claim the mantle (but all equally flawed in rather shocking ways)

Bonus points if anyone knows which two were rumoured to have had an affair...

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #879 on: April 06, 2021, 02:02:11 PM »

Jenkins and Crosland (although I thought this was pretty much confirmed).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #880 on: April 07, 2021, 08:49:47 AM »

Jenkins and Crosland (although I thought this was pretty much confirmed).

Well, you can't really imagine (for varying reasons, admittedly) any of the other 4 being involved Wink
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #881 on: April 11, 2021, 01:59:35 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 04:21:06 AM by Blair »

I regret to inform everyone that Emily Thornberry has become a big beast. Ironically said journalist says she needs to be in the Shadow Cabinet!
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #882 on: April 11, 2021, 03:47:55 AM »

I regret to inform everyone that Emily Thornberry has become a big beast. Ironically one who said journalist says needs to be in the Shadow Cabinet!

I'm confused. She already is in the Shadow Cabinet.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #883 on: April 11, 2021, 04:23:16 AM »

I regret to inform everyone that Emily Thornberry has become a big beast. Ironically one who said journalist says needs to be in the Shadow Cabinet!

I'm confused. She already is in the Shadow Cabinet.

I know! It was from the ST Sunday Magazine Interview with Keir Starmer- it had the obligatory mention of Yvette & Hillary Benn but also mentioned Thornberry for some baffling reason.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #884 on: April 11, 2021, 06:06:48 AM »

Who is the most likely alternative leader if Starmer's "leadership" proves untenable?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #885 on: April 11, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »

Who is the most likely alternative leader if Starmer's "leadership" proves untenable?

1) Rayner
2) a relative "dark horse" currently.

To go back to the above posts, it *won't* be Cooper.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #886 on: April 11, 2021, 08:19:20 AM »

1) Rayner

I'd add 3) Rightist continuity candidate (e.g. Wes Streeting)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #887 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:55 AM »

Streeting is actually interesting - yes he is on the right of the party, but still seems willing to embrace a degree of economic populism and has little time for the old Blairite "Labour spent too much when in government" orthodoxy that was used relentlessly by them against Ed Miliband when he was leader.

Still unlikely to get to the very top, but no longer impossible he could be next leader but one (or two)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #888 on: April 11, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »

Depends how it ends; if he decided to just give up after the locals it would mostly likely be a race where David Lammy and Angela Rayner are the frontrunners.

My long running sleeper pick has been Johnny Reynolds; if he gets a more high profile role I think he would win.

The interesting thing is that Labour tends to enjoy quite a heavy course correction at each leadership election...

Streeting is actually interesting - yes he is on the right of the party, but still seems willing to embrace a degree of economic populism and has little time for the old Blairite "Labour spent too much when in government" orthodoxy that was used relentlessly by them against Ed Miliband when he was leader.

Still unlikely to get to the very top, but no longer impossible he could be next leader but one (or two)

Yeah because Wes came to prominence as one of the louder Corbynsceptics in the PLP he's been type cast as the most right wing member of the PLP- which he isn't. He was often flouted by people who didn't really understand Labour as being one of the likely defectors to TIG.

He currently seems to be tailoring himself more to be a deputy leader...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #889 on: April 12, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »

The wheels on the bus....

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #890 on: April 12, 2021, 09:39:48 AM »

British politics is essentially just an endless doom loop of the Conservatives doing something incompetent and Labour saying ‘hold my beer’ and vice versa.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #891 on: April 12, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »

This would appear to be a specific 'the Labour Party in the West Midlands is an absolute binfire' issue.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #892 on: April 12, 2021, 09:57:18 AM »

Who was the last Labour leader (other than Smith, obviously) to not make it to a single general election? Do you have to go back before the War?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #893 on: April 12, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »

Who was the last Labour leader (other than Smith, obviously) to not make it to a single general election? Do you have to go back before the War?

George Lansbury. And it is almost certainly going to remain that way as well.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #894 on: April 12, 2021, 10:31:32 AM »

Exactly. This isn't Scottish Labour where it's more surprising if someone does.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #895 on: April 12, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »

1) Rayner

Yeah Rayner would probably make the most sense from a unity POV. I'm assuming most of the "Corbyn wing" is unelectable at this point and going for another right candidate would cause large chunks of the party to have a stroke. Not sure she'd be a particularly good OL though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #896 on: April 13, 2021, 04:55:28 AM »

Not sure she'd be a particularly good OL though.

To an extent, it depends on what you expect one to do.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #897 on: April 13, 2021, 07:00:21 AM »

He got a council estate named after him though.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #898 on: April 13, 2021, 07:20:05 AM »

Out of curiosity, what are the aspects of the LOTO job you think Rayner would be good/bad at?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2021, 08:02:17 AM »

Out of curiosity, what are the aspects of the LOTO job you think Rayner would be good/bad at?

She would surely be better than Starmer at rallying the troops and keeping the left happy (well, -ier)

Not sure about set piece Commons stuff though (she was OK in the education brief tbf)

And its easy to see how the right wing press would go to town on her, especially in a GE campaign.

I'm a fan personally, but can see she would have drawbacks.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies