This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:49:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 151
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 151320 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: February 06, 2021, 07:16:59 AM »

Hyde's a writer with an amusing turn of phrase but not much else yeah.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #726 on: February 06, 2021, 09:41:53 AM »

FWIW someone is briefing to the Times that Keir needs to do more to embrace business & aspiration (or whatever the stupid buzzword is) so we can work out where the stories from the last week have come...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #727 on: February 06, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »

FWIW someone is briefing to the Times that Keir needs to do more to embrace business & aspiration (or whatever the stupid buzzword is) so we can work out where the stories from the last week have come...

Nature is Healing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #728 on: February 07, 2021, 06:41:12 AM »

So is Starmer ultimately going to have to sack a certain somebody just like Corbyn did?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #729 on: February 07, 2021, 07:14:10 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 07:19:00 AM by Blair »

So is Starmer ultimately going to have to sack a certain somebody just like Corbyn did?

I wish I was smart enough to get this reference!

*Edit: does it rhyme with Fat McPadden?

I might be a bit of a wet wipe but I've never understood people in the Labour party who seem to enjoy briefing on background against the leader who they're serving on the front-bench?

I understand why you'd do it to win a certain policy dispute or to defend yourself but it always just felt like these people should actually be doing something. (I had the same view of those briefing against Corbyn in 2015- it was time that could have been spent actually helping organise the opposition to him rather than just talking to a journalist imo)
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #730 on: February 07, 2021, 07:23:16 AM »

I might be a bit of a wet wipe but I've never understood people in the Labour party who seem to enjoy briefing on background against the leader who they're serving on the front-bench?

I understand why you'd do it to win a certain policy dispute or to defend yourself but it always just felt like these people should actually be doing something. (I had the same view of those briefing against Corbyn in 2015- it was time that could have been spent actually helping organise the opposition to him rather than just talking to a journalist imo)

Or, y'know, trying to get Labour back into government ...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #731 on: February 07, 2021, 07:40:24 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 07:44:28 AM by Blair »

But they were never going to do that were they?

A lot of the Labour Left have actually seemed to get that message & have tried to organise- in the same way that LOTO in 2015 didn't want or expect Michael Dugher to be on the airwaves defending Corbyn, I doubt that LOTO wants or expects Jon Trickett to be doing it this time around.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #732 on: February 07, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »

But they were never going to do that were they?

A lot of the Labour Left have actually seemed to get that message & have tried to organise- in the same way that LOTO in 2015 didn't want or expect Michael Dugher to be on the airwaves defending Corbyn, I doubt that LOTO wants or expects Jon Trickett to be doing it this time around.

I mean, they're part of the same party and they're aligned in their interest in wanting to return to government. It really shouldn't be too much to ask that they can be expected to sing from the same song sheet to the press, especially when, like Dugher, your putative opponent puts you in the shadow cabinet.

But maybe you're right. Imagine being a Labour MP and actually trying to get a Labour government elected!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #733 on: February 08, 2021, 05:21:31 AM »

But maybe you're right. Imagine being a Labour MP and actually trying to get a Labour government elected!

It will never catch on.....
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #734 on: February 09, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »

An interesting article; the only part I agree with is about people briefing.

I'm not sure of the relevance of 'sack them if they've got a low profile'... when the reason they've got a low profile is because they've been in office for 10 months during a time when it's impossible to make news & LOTO has generally restricted them from making flashy policies.

I'm also not really sure who the alternative is; the people on the backbenches who could serve are either hated by the public or are frankly junior & mid-level officals from the dying days of the Brown era.

https://labourlist.org/2021/02/starmer-has-the-right-strategy-now-he-needs-a-bold-and-ruthless-reshuffle/
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #735 on: February 09, 2021, 08:43:59 AM »

An interesting article; the only part I agree with is about people briefing.

I'm not sure of the relevance of 'sack them if they've got a low profile'... when the reason they've got a low profile is because they've been in office for 10 months during a time when it's impossible to make news & LOTO has generally restricted them from making flashy policies.

I'm also not really sure who the alternative is; the people on the backbenches who could serve are either hated by the public or are frankly junior & mid-level officals from the dying days of the Brown era.

https://labourlist.org/2021/02/starmer-has-the-right-strategy-now-he-needs-a-bold-and-ruthless-reshuffle/

Yeah, someone needs to explain to McNicholas that, no matter how hard he tries, it's never going to be 1997 again.

I'm not even sure the premise of his analysis is correct. Starmer's strategy (to the extent he's got one) hasn't been about persuasion over mobilization so much as it's been about style over substance. He's not trying to persuade anyone of anything. He's just trying to make a big show of how Labour isn't incompetent or scary.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #736 on: February 09, 2021, 08:47:55 AM »

Starmer may not repel people, but doesn't excite them either.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #737 on: February 09, 2021, 09:42:03 AM »

"One Rule For Them" - ah, that explains much.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #738 on: February 14, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 10:05:01 AM by Blair »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmer-calls-in-mandelson-to-inject-a-dose-of-new-labours-winning-mentality-wr0w25jpb

A more in-depth piece which isn't just hostile briefing; article warns that again Starmer needs a reshuffle & names Anneliese Dodds, Kate Green and Andy McDonald as needing to be sacked as they're underperforming & low profile.

A bit of a surprise about Green; she was very vocal during the exams fiasco & has been sent out a lot for Labour- and of course has been hamstrung by LOTOs balancing act.

Andy McDonald is also not even a full rank shadow cabinet member & is overshadowed by Ed being his nominal boss & lead on workers rights.

But this isn't the first briefing against Dodds. She has the challenge of people in the media expecting her to be well known or high-profile- when she's never served in government or made news. I wouldn't be shocked if she's eventually moved to allow Rachel Reeves or Ed Miliband to become Shadow Chancellor.

The piece does do the cliche of saying Yvette Cooper should come back (which begs the question of who in the top team gets sacked as she won't be shadow under-secretary for parks) & Hillary Benn; which is more plausible as he doesn't have a committee chair & he could slot into a mid-level role & is less prickly in the party.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #739 on: February 14, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/starmer-calls-in-mandelson-to-inject-a-dose-of-new-labours-winning-mentality-wr0w25jpb

A more in-depth piece which isn't just hostile briefing; article warns that again Starmer needs a reshuffle & names Anneliese Dodds, Kate Green and Andy McDonald as needing to be sacked as they're underperforming & low profile.

A bit of a surprise about Green; she was very vocal during the exams fiasco & has been sent out a lot for Labour- and of course has been hamstrung by LOTOs balancing act.

Andy McDonald is also not even a full rank shadow cabinet member & is overshadowed by Ed being his nominal boss & lead on workers rights.

The piece does do the cliche of saying Yvette Cooper should come back (which begs the question is who in the top team gets sacked as she won't be shadow under-secretary for parks) & Hillary Benn; which is more plausible as he doesn't have a committee chair & he could slot into a mid-level role.

The briefing has something obvious in it as they're broadly all from the same ideological wing of the party.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #740 on: February 14, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »

The only people who want Cooper and Benn back are the very worst Blairite ghouls, the sort who still have the ear of the Observer (genuinely one of the worst "newspapers" in the world)

Somebody was briefing that Starmer "had" to appoint them (along with Reeves) even before he was elected leader - very possibly the same person now, and they won't have been happy with 1 out of 3.

(I have my ideas who it actually is too)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #741 on: February 14, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 12:06:28 PM by Blair »

It is funny as this feels very groundhog day as I remember the briefing that Ed M needed to bring back the 'grandees' (Alan Johnson, Alastair Darling etc) which of course would have meant sacking either Ed Balls or Yvette...

I think I posted earlier that it is remarkable that Yvette Cooper has turned into some sort of Ken Clarke type in some people's minds- she's a very able committee chair & very good at scruntiny. But she would just fit even further into the current mould of Labour thinking that if we're just tough on the Government after the fact we don't actually have to do any thinking about what Labours immigration policy in 2024 should be..

On the point about briefing someone who is never mentioned is Meg Hillier; who as chair of PAC has had just as many scalps, is quite a good parliamentarian & like Yvette was a junior Minister at the end of the New Labour years.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #742 on: February 14, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 10:47:01 AM by CumbrianLeftie »

The likes of Cooper and Reeves are lionised by those who fetishise a certain type of politician who get write ups by client journalists as "big hitters" even though they have in reality done little that is memorable. Of course a certain former MP for Streatham was another of these - that went well Smiley

As for Benn Jnr, he was elevated to sainthood by these types for one of the most overhyped Commons speeches ever - but they also have a permanent hard on for endless war everywhere.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #743 on: February 14, 2021, 02:45:04 PM »

Hywel Francis, historian of the South Wales coalfield and Labour MP for Aberavon has died. He was seventy four. The son of Dai Francis (the leader of the South Wales NUM in the 60s and early 70s), he was particularly well known as one of the co-authors (along with Dai Smith)* of The Fed, for Miners Against Fascism: Wales and the Spanish Civil War, and for founding the South Wales Miners Library. He was one of the founding members of the historical society Llafur and at the time of his death was its President.

*Father of Owen Smith. South Wales is a small world.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #744 on: February 17, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »

Pretty standard for Liverpool and/or Labour Politics.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-labour-mayoral-race-delayed-19857441
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #745 on: February 18, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »

Starmer's big speech on the economy today. Some of the uber-online left doing their best to get very upset about it, but arguably the continuities with the previous regime clearly outweigh the departures.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #746 on: February 18, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2021, 04:46:01 PM by cp »

Starmer's big speech on the economy today. Some of the uber-online left doing their best to get very upset about it, but arguably the continuities with the previous regime clearly outweigh the departures.

Seems like they had good reason to be derisive. Even the Guardian is struggling to put a happy face on it.

"... he was careful to promise that good government must be the partner of good business, not its enemy."

Could have been written by the Daily Mail.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #747 on: February 18, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »

And the crowd goes wild ...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #748 on: February 18, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »

At some point, Labour has to realise that it cannot change society to fit itself. This pandemic has exposed a rotten core in much of Western society and it will need a lot of work to fix.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #749 on: February 18, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »

And the crowd goes wild ...

What did you make of Corbyn's minus 60 leadership ratings, then?

Alternatively, cherry picking poll stats is an inherently bad faith way of arguing and to be avoided.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies