This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:44:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 156631 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2200 on: June 02, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

Tony Blair praises digital identiy card and talks about mistaken ideas about privacy in the UK preventing Id cards. Praises gaming for creating online communities and relationships

Tony Blair is a Gamer/Pro-Gamer?

Tony Blair will be anything you want him to be, as long you pay him enough.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2201 on: June 03, 2022, 04:44:21 AM »

Interesting Times Article about Durham gate- apparently the surveys are long (duh) and some centre around Keir being given a football shirt which he poses with.

Of course as he does this on other campaign trips you could argue it was campaign related.

I still can’t see how they can change their retrospective fines policy but still have a niggling feeling he will get fined.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2202 on: June 03, 2022, 05:09:41 AM »

Interesting Times Article about Durham gate- apparently the surveys are long (duh) and some centre around Keir being given a football shirt which he poses with.

Of course as he does this on other campaign trips you could argue it was campaign related.

I still can’t see how they can change their retrospective fines policy but still have a niggling feeling he will get fined.

Any sign that Starmer would listen to Nick Brown's stupid idea of standing in the leadership election if he got fined and resigned? That would be an incredible act of bad faith, a huge waste of the Labour Party's time and precious resources, and leave the party with a weakened leader.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2203 on: June 03, 2022, 05:12:40 AM »

Any sign that Starmer would listen to Nick Brown's stupid idea of standing in the leadership election if he got fined and resigned? That would be an incredible act of bad faith, a huge waste of the Labour Party's time and precious resources, and leave the party with a weakened leader.
Well Starmer so far seems to be smarter than a racoon, and somewhat uncommonly among politicans doesn't seem to have a huge ego so it would be pretty out of charecter for him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2204 on: June 03, 2022, 05:37:58 AM »

They surely can't fine him given that Johnson escaped any censure for the Abba party (yes I know the drill about separate police forces, but in the real world everybody will be comparing the two) If they do, I suspect the s*** will truly hit the fan and Starmer quitting will be the least of their problems.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2205 on: June 03, 2022, 05:53:32 AM »

They surely can't fine him given that Johnson escaped any censure for the Abba party (yes I know the drill about separate police forces, but in the real world everybody will be comparing the two) If they do, I suspect the s*** will truly hit the fan and Starmer quitting will be the least of their problems.

Yeah I mean the fact they’re doing questionnaires does blow the independence idea out of the window.

It would also suggest like with the Met that even the police accept that they will only do their job when a third party gathers all the evidence for them!

I look forward to the royal commission on policing under Prime Minister Nandy.

It’s very unlikely.

But for the record I would always listen to Nick Brown! He’s one of the most effective operators in the Labour Party for the last 40 years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2206 on: June 04, 2022, 11:19:50 AM »

Who has written the same article more times in centre-left publications - John Gray or Neal Lawson?

Cursed it- even includes his favourite buzzword!

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2022/05/tony-blairs-new-centrist-project-shows-he-and-his-acolytes-have-learned-nothing
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2207 on: June 08, 2022, 03:31:00 PM »

I see Darth Vader gave a speech and media performance today basically attacking Keir, and specifically the Shadow Treasury Team for their approach to policy- especially the climate change financial pledge.

Very strange.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2208 on: June 09, 2022, 05:17:16 AM »

Its an article of faith for the likes of Owen Jones that Mandy is "massively influential" with the current party leadership. Is this actually true, though?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2209 on: June 10, 2022, 03:30:06 AM »

This is interesting for two reasons.

It shows the lack of London seats that are open for new MPs (the London PLP is broadly quite young in terms of intake!) but also the fact that seats like South Swindon are seen as winnable- it’s Tory held since 2010 and has a 6K majority, held by ex Justice Minister Robert Buckland who might well stand down.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2210 on: June 10, 2022, 03:51:57 AM »

Usual anger/bust up over the Stroud Selection. I’m surprised people are surprised Party is taking this line over historic social media.

https://labourlist.org/2022/06/labour-council-leader-excluded-from-standing-as-parliamentary-candidate/

Its an article of faith for the likes of Owen Jones that Mandy is "massively influential" with the current party leadership. Is this actually true, though?

It’s very funny how full circle he’s gone- from the OG bogeyman, to the saviour in 2009 and then back to the former role. Ofc he doesn’t help himself at times does he?

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2211 on: June 10, 2022, 07:00:41 AM »

In cases like the Stroud selection, though, it shouldn't be impossible for the person concerned to put out a statement along the lines of "I said some things at the time that I know caused genuine upset, and they did and do not reflect what I truly believe". She seems very well suited in all other respects and of course clearly has a lot of local support - and, again, the almost total lack of transparency from party HQ about this stuff is totally unhelpful and only boosts conspiracy theories.

(for instance, many now think this is a stitch up for the former MEP on the shortlist)

More generally, all parties need to start growing up about historic social media transgressions - this is only going to become more and more of a thing going forward.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2212 on: June 10, 2022, 01:52:53 PM »

It’s interesting that we know the Labour MPs retiring (there will be a handful of last minute ones) and I think it’s only a handful…and are largely those who are 70+.

The Conservative retirements will be a good measure of how things are going, especially with boundary changes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2213 on: June 10, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »

Basically our Lord Frost. But more of an idiot. He should have lost the whip over his stupid Boris tweet.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2214 on: June 10, 2022, 04:49:23 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2022, 04:56:13 PM by Torrain »

Is there any consensus when Durham Police will finish, and end “beergate”, one way or another? Was thinking about it today, seeing photos of Starmer shaking hands in Dublin, and headed to Stormont.

Making those sorts of moves make him seem like a leader who’s pretty confident of being cleared (although that may just be projection/strategic), but it just feels like the rest of the opposition is holding its breath until they know whether he’s safe or not, especially in light of the questionnaires.

The investigation has been going on for over a month, for a single event. Surely this paralysis can’t last much longer?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2215 on: June 11, 2022, 01:54:52 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2022, 02:01:44 AM by Blair »

Is there any consensus when Durham Police will finish, and end “beergate”, one way or another? Was thinking about it today, seeing photos of Starmer shaking hands in Dublin, and headed to Stormont.

Making those sorts of moves make him seem like a leader who’s pretty confident of being cleared (although that may just be projection/strategic), but it just feels like the rest of the opposition is holding its breath until they know whether he’s safe or not, especially in light of the questionnaires.

The investigation has been going on for over a month, for a single event. Surely this paralysis can’t last much longer?

The working assumption is around the end of June- they said 4-6 weeks after it was announced, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they wait until after the by-election, because they did so with the locals.

The interesting thing (this might be lobby brain as the PM is safe so we need to find something else to plot about) is that there would be a lot of anger if he was quit, and he would likely be respected for doing the right thing but I think a lot of people in THIGMOO would broadly welcome a new regime- because a Keir is just about an asset for Labour, in the sense he isn’t hated, but there’s still a bit of a sense of malaise that is covered up by the poll lead.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2216 on: June 11, 2022, 05:35:24 AM »

The working assumption is around the end of June- they said 4-6 weeks after it was announced, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they wait until after the by-election, because they did so with the locals.

The interesting thing (this might be lobby brain as the PM is safe so we need to find something else to plot about) is that there would be a lot of anger if he was quit, and he would likely be respected for doing the right thing but I think a lot of people in THIGMOO would broadly welcome a new regime- because a Keir is just about an asset for Labour, in the sense he isn’t hated, but there’s still a bit of a sense of malaise that is covered up by the poll lead.

Cheers. Tbh, I’ve started hearing whispers of a similar thing r.e Starmer standing down, at least amongst other online circles I’m in. Can see the appeal of looking for someone with a tad more charisma, although I have to imagine there’s at least a little risk throwing the leadership back to the party membership and MPs right now.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2217 on: June 11, 2022, 05:38:28 AM »

Cheers. Tbh, I’ve started hearing whispers of a similar thing r.e Starmer standing down, at least amongst other online circles I’m in. Can see the appeal of looking for someone with a tad more charisma, although I have to imagine there’s at least a little risk throwing the leadership back to the party membership and MPs right now.
My thinking is that seems needlessly risk, Starmer's low-key boring approach is working. Why does it need to be changed ?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2218 on: June 11, 2022, 06:16:01 AM »

This is the dilemma, I'm not a big Starmer fan and feel like there are better options but thats such a big gamble when Labour seem to be in a winning position at the moment. I think he'll be okay anyway and he ain't broke so no need to fix anything.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #2219 on: June 11, 2022, 07:11:10 AM »

I agree with MABA. With the current polling lead and the barely healed divisions in the party between the left wing and the moderates a leadership election is a huge risk.

Starmer is not a great candidate but a decent partyleader. Choosing someone more charismatic can also have it's downside. These people are often less capable dealing with the internal party politics.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2220 on: June 11, 2022, 07:23:01 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2022, 07:38:59 AM by Torrain »

This is the dilemma, I'm not a big Starmer fan and feel like there are better options but thats such a big gamble when Labour seem to be in a winning position at the moment. I think he'll be okay anyway and he ain't broke so no need to fix anything.

Aye. In many ways, it feels a bit like 1994 with John Smith. You've got a Labour leader the public is lukewarm on, but the party is in good enough shape that most indicators are that it'll be enough to win next time around on the flaws of the incumbent government alone. Forcing him out would cause unnecessary intra-party drama.

We never saw how that hypothetical played out, with Smith's death, and the party's choice of a younger, more charismatic candidate. But the contrast is clear enough, that I just can't shake the parallel - especially given the sudden possibility of a similar (if less tragic) black swan event removing the leader.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2221 on: June 11, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »

Aye. In many ways, it feels a bit like 1994 with John Smith. You've got a Labour leader the public is lukewarm on, but the party is in good enough shape that most indicators are that it'll be enough to win next time around on the flaws of the incumbent government alone. Forcing him out would cause unnecessary intra-party drama.

We never saw how that hypothetical played out, with Smith's death, and the party's choice of a younger, more charismatic candidate. But the contrast is clear enough, that I just can't shake the parallel - especially given the sudden possibility of a similar (if less tragic) black swan event removing the leader.

Yes the current moment feels reminiscent of the 1990's in a few ways, for the government as well as the opposition (hopefully it ends the same way). Who's the Blair figure in this scenario then? Streeting?
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #2222 on: June 11, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »

Wasn't Starmer once perceived, when elected, as the 'charismatic' choice?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2223 on: June 11, 2022, 03:08:09 PM »

Wasn't Starmer once perceived, when elected, as the 'charismatic' choice?

He was seen as a safe pair of hands in media performers and very good in Parliament- which is slightly different!

There was a very conscious effort before 2020 to get him to talk about his background and his life- it always felt very dragged out of him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2224 on: June 13, 2022, 06:18:15 AM »

The Harold Wilson comment about the Stagecoach was very true wasn’t it? The lack of events is causing some of the old rumbles to come out…

‘The labour party is like a stage-coach. If you rattle along at great speed everybody inside is too exhilarated or too seasick to cause any trouble. But if you stop everybody gets out and argues about where to go next.”
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies