This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 02:05:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 156984 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: November 18, 2021, 05:10:09 AM »

The highlight was him singing the praises of Andy Burnham- is it worth remembering that McCluskey supported Andy in 2015 but couldn’t get it through his executive who wanted Corbyn. A reminder that even back then Len wasn’t exactly beloved in UNITE.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1626 on: November 18, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »

Michael Fabricant went *there* on his Twitter account this morning.

If you want an idea of how rattled the Tories currently are, that's it in a nutshell.

He had better hope Keir doesn't get to deploy his legal expertise regarding this one.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1627 on: November 18, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »

If I were Michael Fabricant, I would simply steer well clear of discussing the sexual misbehaviour of people with a public profile.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1628 on: November 18, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »

Online political meetings are generally torturous everywhere.

Oh offline CLP meetings are equally unpleasant.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1629 on: November 19, 2021, 02:22:21 AM »

Out of curiosity what is it specificaly about trotskists that make them the biggest entryists into the labour party and why is Trot kinda generic insult against leftists in the UK ?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1630 on: November 19, 2021, 02:33:13 AM »

Out of curiosity what is it specificaly about trotskists that make them the biggest entryists into the labour party and why is Trot kinda generic insult against leftists in the UK ?
As to the first I believe that was a Trotskyist tactic they adored in the 80’s throughout the world. It’s success with UK Labour (relative success being marginal recognition for a sect that rarely gets any real attention) makes entryism sort of a Trots-textbook play. I heard a local trots bragging about how the UK branch took over Liverpool like it was the workers global revolution…

Why is that an insult? As their entryism came in a low moment for Labour in the 80’s and Tory media back then loved to highlight their shenanigans as the loony left.

This is my two pence
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1631 on: November 19, 2021, 06:14:39 AM »

In fact the Militant "takeover" of Liverpool (and even at their absolute peak, they were a clear minority there - which gives some indications of how they exercised their control) can best be seen as a mix of far leftism and a kind of Scouse nationalism, which was quite intoxicating to many for a short while.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1632 on: November 19, 2021, 06:53:49 AM »

In fact the Militant "takeover" of Liverpool (and even at their absolute peak, they were a clear minority there - which gives some indications of how they exercised their control) can best be seen as a mix of far leftism and a kind of Scouse nationalism, which was quite intoxicating to many for a short while.
If militant never controlled the labour council, how did they manage to become so unpopular that Kinnock had to denounce them ?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1633 on: November 19, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »

As said before, they effectively controlled it despite never having an actual majority.

The question of how that state of affairs came about is an interesting one in itself.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1634 on: November 20, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »

I’m not sure why it matters but looks like another clean sweep for Labour to win (the pro-Keir faction) at south east region conference.

This follows wins in London and I think the East recently.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1635 on: November 20, 2021, 10:03:44 PM »

I’m not sure why it matters but looks like another clean sweep for Labour to win (the pro-Keir faction) at south east region conference.

Was it an election or an electoral-type event with the Party deciding the results beforehand?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1636 on: November 21, 2021, 05:03:41 AM »

Online political meetings are generally torturous everywhere.

Oh offline CLP meetings are equally unpleasant.
I think that's fairly universal with regards to all political meetings with nominal allies. I don't think anyone sane actively enjoyed them
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1637 on: November 21, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »

Was it an election or an electoral-type event with the Party deciding the results beforehand?

Assume it's the same system that has been used for years; a mixture of CLPs electing delegates and then the unions/affiliates having votes as well.

A lot of it is just momentum to pardon the pun; I knew lots of people who would only turn up to their CLP for the AGM and equally lots who left during the Corbyn era. It made it possible for my CLP to become a bastion of the left in terms of delegates with only about 30 new members regularly turning up. I think the same has happened over the last year- and is a reason why the left have been fighting a rear-guard for people to stay in.

And the added fact that the labour leadership are largely loyal to their leaders; my belief was always that Ed Miliband would have won a leadership contest in December 2014 despite not being as beloved then.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1638 on: November 21, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »

And it has to be said LP regional bodies really don't have much actual powers at all - making them the sort of low-turnout, low-engagement elections that Akehurst et al can excel in.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1639 on: November 22, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »

Certainly seems to have been a marked increase in Labours fortunes- I think we've gone a month without a 'Labour splits story'? (I refuse to count the Andy Burnham twitter beef)

The operation does seem a lot sharper & rather depressing that it is news but Keirs personal ratings are close to being back in the positive zone in the Redfield poll.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but some of the deference & language has changed e.g calling the Government corrupt, rather than talking of Cronyism. The language & attacks last week on the rail announcement were good (an open goal though)

I do think it's partly a vindication of the decision to appoint Reeves; who, regardless of the rather ugh ST interview, has clearly managed to shape Labours economic messaging & is trusted by Keir + the PLP, and has certainly managed to make a mark. As others have noted she also hasn't exactly abandoned parts of John McDonnells work which went well (it was interesting that she admitted to talking to him in a podcast- along with Gordon Brown)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1640 on: November 22, 2021, 03:54:39 PM »

Ultimately Labour is doing well due to the Tories' own problems; this is common for oppositions. We are still a long way from any election though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1641 on: November 23, 2021, 06:37:41 AM »

Amongst other things, the Reeves interview demonstrated that she still doesn't have seem to have taken on board Nancy Astor being an actual fascist sympathiser. The Ladybird book version of the struggle for women's rights in the UK dies hard with Labour's second wave feminist tendency.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1642 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:46 AM »

How good of a source is this video documentary ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgiV8yn3xU&t=191s
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1643 on: November 24, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »

Its reasonable, though it has its own biases as these things tend to do.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1644 on: November 26, 2021, 06:16:35 AM »

An amusing amount of rubbish from Mr Tony in the Times today.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1645 on: November 26, 2021, 06:29:25 AM »

I wonder if the leaving out of his surname is rather delibrate.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1646 on: November 26, 2021, 07:06:46 AM »

Was Kathleen Stock busy today?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1647 on: November 26, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2021, 02:01:15 PM by Blair »

It’s also just strange because he wrote a very long NS piece which was interesting and had parts that you disagree with- but it was actually quite interesting. This was just last minute rubbish to try and plug the latest poll his centre had done.

Was Kathleen Stock busy today?

He was marginally better than the women who wrote we need to talk about Kevin- who has somehow risen to the heights to give opinions on British politics. I’m not sure if anybody under 60 writes for the Times Comment section.

I wonder if the leaving out of his surname is rather delibrate.

I stole Al’s rather droll nickname for him!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1648 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:03 AM »

There are Times regulars (eg Clare Foges) who are under 60 in calendar years, but not mentally.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1649 on: November 29, 2021, 02:12:05 AM »

A few changes and tweaks- swap Lammy with Nick Thomas Symonds (I suspect this didn’t happen at first due to a perceived need to pivot on immigration), promote some good opposition politicians (Thornberry, Streeting, Tarry) bring some of the competent members of the left back (Dan Garden)
and get rid of some under-performing ministers (DCMS & Education)

I promise I don’t work for LOTO!

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies