This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 148
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 146758 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »

Not a surprise but a significant story.

I did laugh at the quote from an NEC member who complained that the party had received legal advice in the JC era that they would win; which ignores the fact that virtually every NEC claims to have 'legal advice' backing up their position (by favourite was in 2016 when the GS office & the NEC iirc actually had different advice) and also ignores that this is a political decision, not a legal one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/labour-to-apologise-to-antisemitism-whistleblowers

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »

Given that McCluskey only got narrowly re-elected in 2017 against pretty dreadful opposition, there must be a fair chance that Beckett won't win anyway?

(though I admit I know next to nothing about the other hopefuls)

I get the impression that this is part of the reason Beckett is trying to make the contest all about Labour - the aim is to appeal to the tiny number of Unite members who are active internally. If any opposing candidate actually manages to reach rank and file members by pointing out that the union is legendarily ineffective at advocating for its members, he could be in trouble.

I'd also note that GS elections in just about every union are distinguished by notably dodgy behaviour on all sides. This is considerably easier to accomplish when eg branch meetings can't be held, or can only be held via Zoom.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »

Not a surprise but a significant story.

I did laugh at the quote from an NEC member who complained that the party had received legal advice in the JC era that they would win; which ignores the fact that virtually every NEC claims to have 'legal advice' backing up their position (by favourite was in 2016 when the GS office & the NEC iirc actually had different advice) and also ignores that this is a political decision, not a legal one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/labour-to-apologise-to-antisemitism-whistleblowers

It also ignores the fact that even if the Party were to win (which... well... hmm), there is literally no way it would be cheaper than settling now.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:19 AM »

Suggestions seem to be that overall the report will be more "technical", and less denunciatory, than some may have expected/feared/hoped (delete as applicable)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »

Suggestions seem to be that overall the report will be more "technical", and less denunciatory, than some may have expected/feared/hoped (delete as applicable)

That was always certain: the EHRC's job is to clean up institutions, not to pronounce Judgment on them for All Time. Though that certain individuals have left the Party's employment is important as well: there is no need to go to lengths to identify them and their specific actions (and dismiss them from their post) if they are already gone.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »

Surprising news but he was on my list to be sacked in the first reshuffle.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2020, 04:38:39 AM »

He is a bit of a clown, but if there is any truth in his claims that is a tad worrying.

Breivikism seems to be getting more of a foothold in the right wing fringe.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2020, 11:13:58 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2020, 11:17:21 AM by Serenity Now »

He is a bit of a clown, but if there is any truth in his claims that is a tad worrying.

Breivikism seems to be getting more of a foothold in the right wing fringe.

Yes, that is worrying. There was an incident where he was physically attached a couple of years ago (on St James's Street in Brighton, which I'd say has a reputation as a dodgy area of the city) which would have been unrelated but obviously will make present situation feel more threatening.

I've met him a few times and he seemed to be quite the psephology nerd who would probably fit in well within this forum (I say this as a compliment).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

Welcome news.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »

and in a surpise to no-one...

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »

hahahahaha
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2020, 12:17:13 PM by Blair »

There's a very good piece in the New Statesmen; the decline of proper industrial reporting really is a major problem (I guess Skawkbox is the closest thing we have...)

But as the piece makes clear Turner is on record as being a lot less hostile to Starmer, although he's firmly a man of the left.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/07/after-mccluskey-who-will-win-unite-s-crown
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »

It also means that the trade union movement as a whole will be spared the humiliation of having a leading figure who was fined for pinching money off sick miners.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »

If you want to sum up the stupidty of this man; he threatened to withdraw UNITEs funds (and in turn it's NEC seats, it's ability to pick PPC & basically any political influence) over something that the party already supports...

He told a Facebook event hosted by the left-wing website The Canary that if successful, he would seek to maintain the radical course charted by Mr McCluskey, whom he described as a “giant”.

Mr Beckett has accused Boris Johnson and Sir Keir of seeking to punish the working class for the coronavirus pandemic.

He told The Canary that he would withdraw funding from Labour if Sir Keir did not commit the party to an anti-racism curriculum in every school.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/len-mccluskey-pressure-on-keir-starmer-as-union-boss-confirms-early-exit-290zlphq5
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2020, 07:39:27 AM »

Given the grand plans Beckett was already making, this is genuinely funny.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »

I was also too stupid to work out that this wasn't even a formally binding vote or primary; so I very much doubt that there's any actual oversight. There are claims about dead people not voting, ballots missing etc- shawkbox are pumping this out; which is no surprise. Funnily enough a lot of the comments on their site were anti-Beckett; with a lot of people saying he's came to union politics very late in his life.

The two things which made me laugh was the left wingers claiming it was fixed because 'I've been a unite member for 40 years and never got a ballot' before being told it was only for UL members.

It annoys me in every Labour election that people scream saying 'it's fixed I never received a ballot' who you then ask 'have you contacted the party?' ..'Well no but they're rigging it'. A good reminder for the whole movement is that we have other legal ways to gerrymander; it's almost always incompetence!

I did chuckle at people saying that bank statements were being used as evidence; what is it with the Labour movement & the tyranny of direct debits?

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »

In a guess for the future there's talk of another re-run of the UL election; I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't as a result of some deal, or if Turner wins again.

However regardless it does present the chance for a split; there's reports that Sharon Graham (who's an Assistant General Secretary) could run too.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »

A car, a car, my union for a car.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ex-union-chief-tim-roache-under-a-cloud-is-given-80-000-for-long-service-5bmj2dbl5
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »

The funny handshake brigade strike again! And yet, that is actually the most effective (it isn't even a contest) large trade union in the country, somehow.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »

In other news, following a couple of resignations from the Labour group, the Greens now have the plurality of Councillors in Brighton & Hove. More here.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:52 AM »

In other news, following a couple of resignations from the Labour group, the Greens now have the plurality of Councillors in Brighton & Hove. More here.

Rumours that the resigners are trying to force a Labour-Green coalition.

(rather than the Labour minority council that has been in place since 2015)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2020, 04:43:16 PM by Blair »

Isn't Brighton council & the CLPs to put it bluntly full of cranks? Why are they all on the South Coast?

In the forever war news it appears that tomorrows court case is going to be interesting...

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/corbyn-milne-and-formby-attempt-to-stop-labour-apology-1.501779

The JC understands that this last minute legal action is being funded by Unite.

Great use of members subs during a pandemic... almost as good as the car.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »

I'm a broken record on this but the greatest shame with both the EHCR & the Labourleaks report is that it has prevented the chance to actually honestly uncover what was going on in the Labour Party last year when it responded in such a ham fisted, inept & financially ruinous way to accusations of institional racism & discrimination.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »

Isn't Brighton council & the CLPs to put it bluntly full of cranks? Why are they all on the South Coast?

Labour there is *extremely* factionalised, though it would be wrong to think this was all one way - the former leader Warren Morgan was amongst the hardest of hard right anti-Corbyn forever warriors, and to the surprise of few threw in his lot with the ill-fated Change UK exercise.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2020, 07:19:48 AM »

Predictably, many on the left aren't happy over the party's decision to reach a settlement with its former employees in the libel case resulting from *that* Panorama programme.

Pragmatically, the leadership had little alternative really - the main worry outside the "headbanger" Corbyn ultras is that it points to the ongoing Forde inquiry being something of a whitewash. Though there is still no reason why that *has* to be the case.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 148  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies