Presidential material among 2020 newcomers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:03:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Presidential material among 2020 newcomers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential material among 2020 newcomers  (Read 500 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »

Which congressional or gubernatorial candidates do you see as potential presidential material in cycles for 2024 and beyond? Especially the ones from competitive races are interesting.

Among senate candidates, I'd say Sara Gideon. If she outs Collins, I think she has a good chance to end up as vice presidential nominee or presidential nominee in the next two or three elections. Cal Cunningham could also emerge a strong contender. If Joe Kennedy wins his primary, I think he'll run for president sooner or later. Wouldn't even be surprised if he challenged Biden's vice president should he retire after one term. I see Mark Kelly more as a long-time senator, who's popular and representing a swing state.

On the Republican side, I see fewer prospects. Maybe the next governor of Utah (Cox or Huntsman again?). In the senate, they have mostly incumbents running. KKKobach if he wins possibly, Tuberville or that guy in Tennessee not that much. Maybe Nick Freitas if he wins VA-07, but he would have to run as congressman since there is just a small chance to be elected governor or senator in Virginia these days.

If I had to bet on a single person, it would be Sara Gideon because of her background and age. She only needs to win that race.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »

I think Kelly might have a career akin to John Glenn. Runs once but drops out before the primaries begin and stays in the senate forever.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »

If we're using recent history as a guide, "presidential material" roughly translates into Ivy educated attorneys with non-Coastal roots (both Clintons, the Bushes, Obama, Gore, and Romney all fall into this broad category).

Gideon and Cunningham don't seem to have been educated in a sufficiently "elite" environment to provide them with the socialization necessary to become President (UNC is marginal here, and Cunningham may be able to counteract this with his military background, but UNC is still more of a "Southern good ol' boy law school" than Harvard or Yale).   JPK3 is obviously the frontrunner in terms  of being "presidential material" (even though he's Coastal, his name is an overwhelming...lightening rod?; "asset" sounds too generous here).

On the Republican side, Cruz, Cotton, Pompeo and DeSantis all fall into this broad categorization but I can't think of any 2020 House/Senate nominees that are jumping-out at me.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:00:50 PM »

If we're using recent history as a guide, "presidential material" roughly translates into Ivy educated attorneys with non-Coastal roots (both Clintons, the Bushes, Obama, Gore, and Romney all fall into this broad category).

Gideon and Cunningham don't seem to have been educated in a sufficiently "elite" environment to provide them with the socialization necessary to become President (UNC is marginal here, and Cunningham may be able to counteract this with his military background, but UNC is still more of a "Southern good ol' boy law school" than Harvard or Yale).   JPK3 is obviously the frontrunner in terms  of being "presidential material" (even though he's Coastal, his name is an overwhelming...lightening rod?; "asset" sounds too generous here).

On the Republican side, Cruz, Cotton, Pompeo and DeSantis all fall into this broad categorization but I can't think of any 2020 House/Senate nominees that are jumping-out at me.

Not many people outside of MA care about the Kennedys these days, or at least the family name carries far less cachet with a younger generation of voters who have no memory of the Kennedys being an integral part of American politics (such voters would make up a large chunk of the primary electorate in a future where Joe Kennedy III would run).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:25 AM »

JK3 is the big one.

They're long shots to varying degrees, but John James and MJ Hegar could emerge if they manage to win their respective races. I also think that Mark Kelly and Ben Ray Luján would at least be the subject of a little speculation.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »

Eh. Not sure anyone will. I think American politics (at least on the Dem side) is going to be dominated by the 2020 primary field and some 2018 candidates. Biden, Harris, and Buttigieg could easily be be the next three nominees of the party and there is a lot of talent in the 2018 field (Whitmer, Newsom, etc.) that will suck up a lot of the oxygen for a while.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 05:15:38 AM »

Tim Ryan
Joe Kennedy
Gretchen Whitmer
Galvin Newsome