should we send teenagers to jail for breaking the lockdown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:48:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should we send teenagers to jail for breaking the lockdown?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: should we send teenagers to jail for breaking the lockdown?
yes, of course

yes, of course, hopefully they'll get the Corona in jail, that'll learn 'em

the kids should be told that they will be, but we shouldn't actually do it, that's insane

no, of course not, they might get sick

no, of course not, we live in a free country

weaksauce, moderate hero, meh, dead0 doesn't get it, I'm stupid

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: should we send teenagers to jail for breaking the lockdown?  (Read 1597 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »
« edited: May 08, 2020, 05:48:04 PM by dead0man »

should teens breaking the lockdown go to jail like the crazy mayor of Chicago thinks?

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »

No.

People are losing their mind in Australia, so i don't think they deserve jail time.

I guess in the US the chances of getting the virus are higher.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »

Lightfoot is quickly showing herself to be one the most insufferable American mayors.  She spends her time getting haircuts while ordering salons closed, and then tells kids to get off the playground.

No, kids shouldn't be going to jail over not observing social distancing.  No one should be.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2020, 11:41:34 AM by Forumlurker »

Ideally, we record them and deny them hospital treatment if they catch the virus. Also putting it on permanent record just so that all future employers and colleges can know. Hopefully social pressure and the trauma of the virus among the American public hurts them for years to come. I would gladly support colleges taking away scholarships/refusing to admit these people. Maybe we could also deny any possible future unemployment benefits/welfare for these criminals.
Normally I would be in favor of imprisonment, but prisons are still a hotbed for the virus and we don’t need to add that risk.
 I know several people from my school who have broken social distancing, and I will shed no tears for them. They are selfish, entitled, and demonstrate a shocking disdain for human life.
That being said, Lightfoot herself should be imprisoned after this.
This is for repeat offenders: First-time breaches of stay-at-home orders and other viral control orders should be given a warning.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:34:59 PM »

Ideally, we record them and deny them hospital treatment if they catch the virus. Also putting it on permanent record just so that all future employers and colleges can know. Hopefully social pressure and the trauma of the virus among the American public hurts them for years to come. I would gladly support colleges taking away scholarships/refusing to admit these people. Maybe we could also deny any possible future unemployment benefits/welfare for these criminals.
wow, that's WAY worse than temporarily locking them up.  Are you always this creative with your punishments?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »

wow, that's WAY worse than temporarily locking them up.  Are you always this creative with your punishments?

Punishment implies due process and conviction in court. Chicken Little is just straight up proposing arbitrary nonsense that would violate the 8th amendment and ex post facto clause if it came from a court but he doesn't even demand a trial. Honestly any bureaucrat trying to do what Chicken Little keeps derping about on this forum should at minimum go to jail and I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if something worse happened to them. Tyrants should not be suffered, and inventing cruel punishments after the fact and then imposing them absent due process is tyranny. My state flag is very clear about how we should react to bureaucrats trying to carry out Chicken Little's evil, deplorable proposal.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »

Punishment implies due process and conviction in court. Chicken Little is just straight up proposing arbitrary nonsense that would violate the 8th amendment and ex post facto clause if it came from a court but he doesn't even demand a trial. Honestly any bureaucrat trying to do what Chicken Little keeps derping about on this forum should at minimum go to jail and I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if something worse happened to them. Tyrants should not be suffered, and inventing cruel punishments after the fact and then imposing them absent due process is tyranny. My state flag is very clear about how we should react to bureaucrats trying to carry out Chicken Little's evil, deplorable proposal.

Being told I should be put in jail by a virus-truther who has to put me on ignore is a compliment.
You can argue about the feasibility of my ideas, but you don’t have the moral high ground. For all your talk about tyranny, thousands of people are dying each day from gross incompetence.
Maybe had you listened to Chicken Little back in early March, we could have been able to safely reopen by now.
Once again, time proves your virus-truthing wrong.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »

Criminalizing this beyond fines is a great way to maximize the spread of the virus in prisons, AND to increase civil unrest.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »

The presumption is radically stupid that you can just kind of magically figure out every individual's exact reasoning for violating protocol. Chicago has a lot of poor and working class people who aren't necessarily going to be able to follow these ordinances to a T.

In cities like Chicago or New York, and probably even around the country more generally, there are absolutely situations where people should be arrested for noncompliance, without a doubt. That happening should be the exception based on clear need, and should not be standing policy, and we should certainly be far more careful about making that decision when talking about teenagers.

No, I do not want some working-class kid's need aid taken away because the Princeton admissions panel decided that "masks had been sold out for weeks and my neighborhood was an inner-city food desert" just isn't a good enough excuse. Get a grip, people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »

Mr. Reactionary is not a "virus truther" and it's a vile lie to describe him as such. Good grief, pandemic totalitarians are such creeps.

Thanks for this. I of course fully acknowledge that the virus exists, is worse than a typical flu, that death counts arent being dramatically overreported, and dont think it was created in a lab as some sort of nWo conspiracy. Im just steadfast in my belief that the Bill of Rights still applies and that the statistical projections aren't so bleak that the Constitutional system in place in February rises to the level of "suicide pact" if we dont abandon 200+ years of tradition.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

Wow, Lori Lightfoot is really a sick person! Singling out a single teen standing alone with a mask on a playground full of kids doing way more than that just so she can get her authoritarian photo op. Deserves to be swiftly deposed.

This all ends at the end of this week. We ain't playin', "leaders"
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »

Ideally, we record them and deny them hospital treatment if they catch the virus.

a shocking disdain for human life.

Hmm...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »

Ideally, we record them and deny them hospital treatment if they catch the virus.

Hmm...
Fair enough, it is seemingly inconsistent.
The way I see it, more lives would be lost by not strictly enforcing orders than if we deny treatment to those who repeatedly break the order, so we should consider these measures.  (I am a utilitarian at heart)
The shock value of not being given treatment is meant as a deterrent more than anything, and also has a second function in that we would free up hospital space and resources for those who actually did follow the orders as they were supposed to.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 07:44:06 PM »

Given that this totalitarian freak is so fond of arbitrary authoritarianism as a response to minor infringements of the collective will, I say that we ban him from the forum for offending against the sensibilities of its members.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »

Seems extreme.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 08:53:46 PM »

Do you support Proposition 187?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »

Do you support Proposition 187?
To an extent.
I support the idea for non-working illegals.
In general I do think we need to take a number of steps to reduce illegal immigration. Proposition 187 could be a part of that framework.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:01 PM »

No.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 02:43:11 PM »

No, and Looni Lightfoot is clearly using this to milk her fifteen minutes.  She started out handling this well, and now she's just turned it into her personal crusade.  I saw a quote of hers the other day where she said something like, "People can't disobey the order just because it's nice.  These people are thinking, 'I'm young, I'm invincible, it doesn't affect me, I'll just go out because it's summer now!'"  LMAO, talk about a strawman ... people are going outside for their damn mental health, and they're largely doing it extremely responsibly.  Finding one jackass who's having a house party in a city of 3 million people and yapping about it 24/7 is NOT PRODUCTIVE.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »

Hmm...
Fair enough, it is seemingly inconsistent.
The way I see it, more lives would be lost by not strictly enforcing orders than if we deny treatment to those who repeatedly break the order, so we should consider these measures.  (I am a utilitarian at heart)
The shock value of not being given treatment is meant as a deterrent more than anything, and also has a second function in that we would free up hospital space and resources for those who actually did follow the orders as they were supposed to.

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 01:41:12 AM »

Lightfoot is quickly showing herself to be one the most insufferable American mayors.  She spends her time getting haircuts while ordering salons closed, and then tells kids to get off the playground.

No, kids shouldn't be going to jail over not observing social distancing.  No one should be.

Tell me about it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »

I'd seriously rather have an all-seeing drone of Lightfoot's hologram projection floating around the city than see another news video of her standing on some street corner yapping and yapping and yapping.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »

Disappointed that a stern spanking is not an option in this poll.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »

I liked Lightfoot until COVID. It's okay for her to get a haircut, but not for anyone else. The people that had a house party on the south side get off scott free, but she now wants to arrest other people for violating the stay in place order. Sad part of this is she'll probably be re elected again.
538Electoral

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 11:52:05 PM »

No but give 'em a fine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies