HB 25-04: Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:17:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 25-04: Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 25-04: Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020 (Passed)  (Read 1708 times)
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
« edited: August 03, 2020, 02:32:32 PM by Speaker Elcaspar »

An act to guarantee and reward quality wine

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85% grapes grown in Atlasia.

Section III. Establishment

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

III. Each varietal of wine shall be judged by a grand panel of 10 wine experts, 5 celebrities, 5 politicians, and 5 ordinary citizens, selected at random from a pool of applicants. Each judge shall rank each wine on a scale of 0-1000.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

C. Champagnes and Sparkling Wines

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

Section IV. Funding and Logistics

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Agriculture. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Section V. Implementation

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2021.

Sponsor: HCP, Sev
House Designation: HB 25-04

72 hours to debate the bill.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »

Folks, when Atlasians go to buy their wine, they are often met at a crossroad. Do they continue to buy the same, reliable but boring wine they've grown to like, or do they branch out and try another wine, potentially wasting $15, $20, or even more on a wine they do not end up enjoying?

The problem is a lack of education (which I am attempting to ameliorate with another one of my bills, which I hope will be brought to the floor in a timely manner) but it is clearly unreasonable to expect every person in the country to be trained in wine tasting and purchasing.

Herein lies a solution. This bill is modelled on Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855, which established rankings of different vineyards in the Bordeaux wine region, indicating not only quality terroir of the vines but also skill in winemaking. The problem with the Bordeaux classifications is that, for the most part, they have not been changed since the initial 1855 classification. However, this bill remedies that by going a step further - introducing the Atlasian value of meritocracy, as classifications can change after each competition, allowing ambitious winemakers to rise up in their rankings, all the while ensuring that a customer at the store will know they are purchasing a wine that is quality. Additionally, this creates a local festival event around the wine competition, and will continue to improve the reputation of Atlasian wines (which, I believe, are already the best) in the rest of the world.

I am open to amendments changing the composition of the judging panel, if desired.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »

I support this bill and think it is a good thing for Atlasia.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »

This bill offers a lot of support for the burgeoning domestic wine industry, a growing trade in these times of automation. The promotion of culture and education this bill provides is also likely to boost this industry, as will the thrill of competition.

However, out of respect for the French, I would move to strike Champagne from section 3's title. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »

A high quality piece of legislation, I thank everyone who was involved for getting it to this point. If anything, I would propose having the competitions more often.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »

A high quality piece of legislation, I thank everyone who was involved for getting it to this point. If anything, I would propose having the competitions more often.

Alternatively, we could have an annual "Catalina Wine Mixer" to show off new varietals and promote the classics, in lieu of a competition.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:21:50 PM »

Alternatively, we could have an annual "Catalina Wine Mixer" to show off new varietals and promote the classics, in lieu of a competition.

I would highly smile upon an amendment adding such a mixer
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 11:41:08 PM »

Amendment offered:

Section I. Title.

This bill shall be referred to as the “Atlasia Wine Official Classification Act of 2020”.

Section II. Definitions

A. An “Atlasian wine” shall be any wine made with at least 85% grapes grown in Atlasia.

A. Reds

I. A competition shall be held every 9 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous eight years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $3,000 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Primitivo, Syrah and Shiraz, Barbera and Sangiovese, and Red Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next nine years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

B. Whites and Roses

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $2,500 for their first submission and $1,000 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Muscat and Moscato, Rosés, and White Blends.

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines, and so on with “Third” and “Fourth Growths”, each doubling in size of the category. If there are fewer than 200 submissions in any category, then the highest number of categories that can be entirely filled by the submissions shall be the final one.  

I. A competition shall be held every 6 years with any winery being allowed to submit any of their Atlasian wine which shall fit the selected category produced within the previous five years for judging. There is no limit to how many wines a winery may submit, but they must pay $5,000 for their first submission and $1,500 for any additional wine they submit. Each submission must include at least two cases of wines - the equivalent of twenty-four 750 ml bottles or 15 litres total.

II. The available wine categories for the competition are: Blanc de blancs, Blanc de noirs, Cuveés, Prosecco, and Sweet Sparkling Wines.  

IV. The five wines within each category with the highest sum scores shall be permitted to use the “Superior Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages. The next ten highest scoring wines within each category shall be permitted to use the “First Growth” label on all of that category of wines produced within the next six years’ vintages, and so on with “Second Growth” on the next twenty highest-scoring wines.

A. Competitions shall be hosted by cities across Atlasia, with applications by cities to be submitted to and selected by the Department of Agriculture. The cities shall be expected to provide a space for hosting and housing, with funds received from competition applicants to be directed to the host city’s event budget.

B. Usage of the scoring “Growth” terms shall be enforced by the Department of Justice, with a $100,000 fine for an illegal use of the label as well as an additional $100 per bottle sold without having met the competitive qualification for use of the label.

Section V. Promotion

I. Winning wine vintages will be promoted at the annual "Catalina Wine Mixer".

II. Wineries of distinction shall also be permitted to promote new vintages at the "Catalina Wine Mixer".

Section VI. Implementation

The first competition shall be held jointly for all three types of wines in 2021.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »

Amendment is friendly.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »

No objections to the amendment. Amendment has been adopted,
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »

I believe we can move for a final vote.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »

A final vote on the bill shall now be held.

You have 72 hours to vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:23:21 AM »

Aye.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 10:41:57 AM »

Aye
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »

Aye
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »

Enthusiastic Aye!
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »

Abstain
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 06:05:25 PM »

Ayes: 5 (Joseph Cao, Sev, Ted Bessell, Gracile, HCP)
Nays: 0
Abstentions: 1 (ReaganClinton)
Not Voting: 3 (Elcaspar, Razze, Encke)

The bill has been passed.

Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »

Section I. Title.

Section II. Definitions

A. Reds

B. Whites and Roses

Section V. Implementation

House of Representatives:
Passed the House of Representatives 5-0-1-3

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]