SENATE BILL: Immigration Reform Act of 2020 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:49:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Immigration Reform Act of 2020 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Immigration Reform Act of 2020 (Passed)  (Read 5127 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:46 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2020, 03:13:58 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL
To reform the immigration system into Atlasia

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1: Name
1. This bill may be referred to as the "Immigration Reform Act of 2020"

Section 2: Categories of legal immigration to Atlasia
1. The following categories of legal permanent immigration to the Republic of Atlasia are hereby established:
a) Family Reunification
b) Job based immigration
c) Other immigration
2. This act shall not alter the composition or requirements for non-immigrant visas or for visas intended for temporary workers or students

Section 3: Family Reunification immigration
1. Family reunification visas may only be issued to the unmarried children or to the spouse of an Atlasian citizen or permanent resident who has been living in the Republic of Atlasia for no less than 5 years.
2. Family reunification visas shall be capped at no more than 300 000 per year.
3. During the application process for family reunification, priority shall be given to the foreign relatives of Atlasian citizens that have had no criminal records in the Republic of Atlasia for the past 10 years

Section 4: Job immigration
1. Job immigration into the Republic of Atlasia shall be based on a points based system. All applicants who score 67 or more points shall be awarded a job immigration visa.

2. People awarded a Job immigration visa may also award another job immigration visa to their spouse, regardless of whether their spouse fulfills the necessary requirements or not

3a. Up to 24 points may be awarded for proficiency in the English language; 6 each for Reading comprehension, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
3b. Immigrants scoring below an IELTS level of 5.5 (or equivalent) many not apply for a job immigration visa.
3c. Points shall be awarded for scoring 5.5 or above in each of the 4 categories described in section 2.3a; with 2 points for scoring between 5.5 and 5.99; 4 points for scoring between 6 and 6.99, 5 points for scoring between 7 and 7.99 and 6 points for scoring 8 or more points
3d. Prospective immigrants with a job offer in the state of Puerto Rico may be waived from this requirement if they so desire, but if so it shall be replaced with equivalent requirements of proficiency in the Spanish language

4. Up to 25 points may be awarded for education proficiency, according to the following equivalency list:
a) High School diploma: 5 points
b) 2 year apprenticeship after high school: 10 points
c) 3 year college degree after high school: 15 points
d) 4 year Bachelor's degree: 20 points
e) Double Bachelor: 22 points
f) Master's degree: 23 points
g) PHD: 25 points

5a. Up to 15 points may be awarded for prior job experience on an skilled job:
a) Less than 1 year of job experience: 0 points
b) Between 1 and 2 years of job experience: 9 points
c) Between 2 and 3 years of job experience: 11 points
d) Between 3 and 6 years of job experience: 13 points
e) 6 or more years of job experience: 15 points
5b. Skilled job shall be defined as a management job; a professional job that usually calls for a college degree (for example doctors or architects) or a technical job that usually calls for a college diploma or apprenticeship (for example plumbers or electricians)
5c. Part time jobs, defined as jobs comprising less than 30 hours per week of work; shall count as half for the purposes of counting the years from section 3.5a

6a. Up to 12 points may be awarded for an applicant's age. Applicants between the ages of 18 and 35 shall be awarded the full 12 points. For each year after that, the number of points awarded shall be reduced by 1 per year, until reaching 0 at age 47.
6b. No persons under the age of 18 may apply for a job immigration visa to the Republic of Atlasia

7. Up to 15 extra points shall be awarded to any workers who attempt to immigrate to the Republic of Atlasia with a job offer for a job that is full time and skilled. These immigrants shall receive the full 15 points, everyone else shall receive 0 points

8. Up to 10 points may be awarded for extra requirements. Each of these requirements shall give the applicant an extra 5 points unless specified otherwise:
-Their spouse having a 5.5 level of competence in an IELTS English test. This requirement may be swapped by an equivalent Spanish requirement for applicants intending to immigrate to the state of Puerto Rico
-The applicant or their spouse having completed high school or a college degree in Atlasia
-Having any sort of legal job experience in Atlasia for at least one year shall award 10 points in this section
-Having a relative living legally in the Republic of Atlasia. Relative shall be defined as the applicant's sibling, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.

9. If the number of applicants surpasses the maximum amount of people who may apply for an immigrant visa, priority shall be given to the highest scoring applicants. In the case of a score tie; the applicants with job offers shall be admitted first.

Section 5. Other immigration
1. The following extra categories of permanent immigration to the Republic of Atlasia are hereby retained, with their current requirements:
a) Outstandingly skilled people, as currently immigrating through the EB1 visa program
b) Certain special categories of immigrants, as currently immigrating through the EB4 visa program
c) Investors, as currently immigrating through the EB5 visa program
2. A new immigration visa shall be created, targeted at retirees who desire to move to the Republic of Atlasia. People immigrating through this visa shall prove that they are financially independent, able to afford their retirement in Atlasia and may not be allowed to take any job offers in Atlasia. The details of this visa shall be devised by the department in charge of internal policy in Atlasia

Section 6: Miscellaneous repeals and adjustments
1. Section 5 of the Come Out of the Shadows Act is hereby repealed
2. The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program is hereby repealed
3. The total number of immigrant visas issued per year by the Atlasian government may not be more than 1/500th of the Atlasian population, as established in the last census available
4. At the discretion of the department responsible for internal policy, the total number of visas available may be reduced by 10% for every year the unemployment rate stays above 5%. Any reduction in the total number of visas shall be accompanied by a proportional reduction in the number of family reunification visas.

Section 7: Enactment
1. This bill shall become enacted on July 1st, 2020

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB24:01
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 01:40:33 AM »

The Senator has 24 hours to commence advocacy and other members should post their initial comments by the end of the subsequent 48 hours.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:07:26 AM »

If I am not allowed to post here since Im a member of the house Ill delete the post but here's my concern:

One concern I have of this bill is section 4.8 because what if people who are unable to pass the IELTS test decide to just apply to Puerto Rico then move to another state say a few months after being granted a visa. That Puerto Rico clause could be a loophole unless you limit how many people are allowed to apply for that specific visa .

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 03:36:39 AM »

Thank you Mr. PPT.

This bill essencially tries to restructure Atlasia's immigration system. I based it mostly off modifying the Immigration Act of 1990 (not sure if that is the current US immigration law, but it seems to be?).

Section 2 establishes the main ways of immigration into Atlasia: family reunification, job immigration and "other". This also makes it clear that non-immigrant visas will remain as they currently exist (so temporary job visas; student visas, tourist visas, etc)

Section 3 deals with family reunification immigration. In this section, conditions for it are made harder to meet. The number of visas is cut from the current 480 000 to 300 000. The people who can apply is also reduced to merely spouses and unmarried children of permanent residents. I think it could be interesting to also allow unmarried brothers of citizens (but not permanent residents) to apply, not sure why I didn't, but that can be rectified if needed.

This section also adds a regulation that all things equal, citizens with no criminal records over the past 10 years shall be given priority on bringing their relatives to Atlasia

Section 4 deals with job immigration, and here the entire concept is reworked from the ground up. I basically copied and pased the points system that Canada uses in real life. The categories tested for points are:

English proficiency
Education
Job experience
Other miscellaneous stuff.

The job visa also allows applicants to bring their spouse if they have one, regardless of whether their spouse fulfills the needed requirements. Again it might be interesting to allow minor children as well.

Section 5 deals with the "other" section. This section keeps certain categories of immigration into Atlasia; most notably outstandingly skilled people (so like professional sports athletes), certain special categories of immigrant and investors. This also mandates the creation of a new "retiree" visa, so foreigners can retire in Atlasia if they so desire; but they would not be allowed to take jobs and would need to be self-sufficient.

Section 6 does some miscellaneous repeals that are needed for this bill to work. Most notably this repeals the Diversity lottery. This also repeals Section 5 from the Come Out of the Shadows Act, which increased the number of visas and allowed lower skilled applicants to come to Atlasia.

Section 6 also deals with the overall visa cap. I have set it at 1/500th of the Atlasian population in the last census (so as of 2010 that would mean 617491 applicants yearly; which I think is a very small cut?). Not sure if I should clarify that this refers to the actual US census just to avoid confusion with Peebs' player census?

This also allows the department for internal policy (so as of now, Truman; but could change if the SoIA is revived) to cut the number of visas in situations of high unemployment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 03:39:34 AM »

If I am not allowed to post here since Im a member of the house Ill delete the post but here's my concern:

One concern I have of this bill is section 4.8 because what if people who are unable to pass the IELTS test decide to just apply to Puerto Rico then move to another state say a few months after being granted a visa. That Puerto Rico clause could be a loophole unless you limit how many people are allowed to apply for that specific visa .

Oh by all means do post here! Concerns from the House (and from everyday citizens of course) are more than welcome considering bills need to pass both Houses of Congress Tongue

I do agree with the criticism. Since I based it on Canadian law, I basically did a French = Spanish equivalence of sorts but I figure that is not exactly accurate.

I agree that capping the number of visas might be a good idea. Alternatively maybe they can be restricted to only living in Puerto Rico somehow? I am not sure if that would be constitutional or not, but if it is it would be an interesting idea.

Or we could get rid of the exception entirely I suppose.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:30 AM »

I am not Polnut.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »

Oh by all means do post here! Concerns from the House (and from everyday citizens of course) are more than welcome considering bills need to pass both Houses of Congress Tongue

I do agree with the criticism. Since I based it on Canadian law, I basically did a French = Spanish equivalence of sorts but I figure that is not exactly accurate.

I agree that capping the number of visas might be a good idea. Alternatively maybe they can be restricted to only living in Puerto Rico somehow? I am not sure if that would be constitutional or not, but if it is it would be an interesting idea.

Or we could get rid of the exception entirely I suppose.

I think the exception should be removed
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:17:06 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2020, 05:28:57 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Introducing the following amendment to get rid of the PR "loophole" as well as to do other minor amendments.

SENATE BILL

1. The following categories of legal permanent immigration to the Republic of Atlasia are hereby established:
a) Family Reunification
b) Job based immigration
c) Other immigration
2. This act shall not alter the composition or requirements for non-immigrant visas or for visas intended for temporary workers or students

1. Family reunification visas may only be issued to the unmarried children or to the spouse of an Atlasian citizen or permanent resident; or to the unmarried brothers of an Atlasian citizen; who has been living in the Republic of Atlasia for no less than 5 years.
3. During the application process for family reunification, priority shall be given to the foreign relatives of Atlasian citizens that have had no criminal records in the Republic of Atlasia for the past 10 years

1. Job immigration into the Republic of Atlasia shall be based on a points based system. All applicants who score 67 or more points shall be awarded a job immigration visa.

2. People awarded a Job immigration visa may also award another job immigration visa to their spouse, regardless of whether their spouse fulfills the necessary requirements or not

3a. Up to 24 points may be awarded for proficiency in the English language; 6 each for Reading comprehension, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
3b. Immigrants scoring below an IELTS level of 5.5 (or equivalent) many not apply for a job immigration visa.
3c. Points shall be awarded for scoring 5.5 or above in each of the 4 categories described in section 2.3a; with 2 points for scoring between 5.5 and 5.99; 4 points for scoring between 6 and 6.99, 5 points for scoring between 7 and 7.99 and 6 points for scoring 8 or more points
3d. Prospective immigrants with a job offer in the state of Puerto Rico may be waived from this requirement if they so desire, but if so it shall be replaced with equivalent requirements of proficiency in the Spanish language

4. Up to 25 points may be awarded for education proficiency, according to the following equivalency list:

5b. Skilled job shall be defined as a management job; a professional job that usually calls for a college degree (for example doctors or architects) or a technical job that usually calls for a college diploma or apprenticeship (for example plumbers or electricians)
5c. Part time jobs, defined as jobs comprising less than 30 hours per week of work; shall count as half for the purposes of counting the years from section 3.5a

6a. Up to 12 points may be awarded for an applicant's age. Applicants between the ages of 18 and 35 shall be awarded the full 12 points. For each year after that, the number of points awarded shall be reduced by 1 per year, until reaching 0 at age 47.
6b. No persons under the age of 18 may apply for a job immigration visa to the Republic of Atlasia

7. Up to 15 extra points shall be awarded to any workers who attempt to immigrate to the Republic of Atlasia with a job offer for a job that is full time and skilled. These immigrants shall receive the full 15 points, everyone else shall receive 0 points

8. Up to 10 points may be awarded for extra requirements. Each of these requirements shall give the applicant an extra 5 points unless specified otherwise:
-Their spouse having a 5.5 level of competence in an IELTS English test. This requirement may be swapped by an equivalent Spanish requirement for applicants intending to immigrate to the state of Puerto Rico
-The applicant or their spouse having completed high school or a college degree in Atlasia
-Having any sort of legal job experience in Atlasia for at least one year shall award 10 points in this section
-Having a relative living legally in the Republic of Atlasia. Relative shall be defined as the applicant's sibling, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.

9. If the number of applicants surpasses the maximum amount of people who may apply for an immigrant visa, priority shall be given to the highest scoring applicants. In the case of a score tie; the applicants with job offers shall be admitted first.

1. The following extra categories of permanent immigration to the Republic of Atlasia are hereby retained, with their current requirements:
a) Outstandingly skilled people, as currently immigrating through the EB1 visa program
b) Certain special categories of immigrants, as currently immigrating through the EB4 visa program
2. A new immigration visa shall be created, targeted at retirees who desire to move to the Republic of Atlasia. People immigrating through this visa shall prove that they are financially independent, able to afford their retirement in Atlasia and may not be allowed to take any job offers in Atlasia. The details of this visa shall be devised by the department in charge of internal policy in Atlasia

3. The total number of immigrant visas issued per year by the Atlasian government may not be more than 1/500th of the Atlasian population, as established in the last decennial census  available. This section shall refer to the census of NPCs made by the Atlasian Census bureau; and not to the census of active players in Atlasia done by the Registrar General.
4. At the discretion of the department responsible for internal policy, the total number of visas available may be reduced by 10% for every year the unemployment rate stays above 5%. Any reduction in the total number of visas shall be accompanied by a proportional reduction in the number of family reunification visas.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 11:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S24:04 by Tack50
SENATE BILL

a) Family Reunification
b) Job based immigration
c) Other immigration

1. Family reunification visas may only be issued to the unmarried children or to the spouse of an Atlasian citizen or permanent resident; or to the unmarried brothers of an Atlasian citizen; who has been living in the Republic of Atlasia for no less than 5 years.

3. The total number of immigrant visas issued per year by the Atlasian government may not be more than 1/500th of the Atlasian population, as established in the last decennial census  available. This section shall refer to the census of NPCs made by the Atlasian Census bureau; and not to the census of active players in Atlasia done by the Registrar General.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »

No objections.

I would like to see "or to the unmarried brothers of an Atlasian citizen" removed from Section 3 in the next amendment.

I'm also not really supportive of "People awarded a Job immigration visa may also award another job immigration visa to their spouse, regardless of whether their spouse fulfills the necessary requirements or not" in Section 4.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 12:17:48 AM »

This seems like a pretty solid bill barring the Puerto Rico exemptions which are being amended out. I also share Jimmy's remaining concerns regarding Section 3.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 12:55:05 AM »

Moving away from the diversity lottery and to a merit-based system definitely makes sense to me.  That way we can prioritize individuals hoping to enter the country who have skills that we can use, and that will increase our supply of high-skilled workers, such as doctors, which many parts of the country are short on supply.

Would the sponsor support adding a clause that gives priority to prospective immigrant doctors (especially PCPs) who are willing to work in rural and impoverished areas of the country?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 01:18:44 AM »

unmarried brothers and not sisters? why?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 01:21:37 AM »

Also I generally really don't like this "unmarried" qualification lol. I do believe in the current system marriage is only used as a line to end dependency before the age of 21 (when the system "normally" considered dependancy to have been cut off).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 01:39:29 AM »

1/500 of the population seems really low. I'd rather not cap the limit.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:28:32 AM »

Moving away from the diversity lottery and to a merit-based system definitely makes sense to me.  That way we can prioritize individuals hoping to enter the country who have skills that we can use, and that will increase our supply of high-skilled workers, such as doctors, which many parts of the country are short on supply.

Would the sponsor support adding a clause that gives priority to prospective immigrant doctors (especially PCPs) who are willing to work in rural and impoverished areas of the country?

Sure, I would be fine with that. I imagine it would include adding it as something giving points to propsective immigrants?

Also I generally really don't like this "unmarried" qualification lol. I do believe in the current system marriage is only used as a line to end dependency before the age of 21 (when the system "normally" considered dependancy to have been cut off).

Lol I intended for both to be able to get in; I should have used siblings there.

As for using marriage as a line; I also intended for this to be able to include a group of people who would be adults, but who are young adults in like their 20s. Though I am open to changing this qualification to something else (or to removing it like Jimmy wants).

No objections.

I would like to see "or to the unmarried brothers of an Atlasian citizen" removed from Section 3 in the next amendment.

I'm also not really supportive of "People awarded a Job immigration visa may also award another job immigration visa to their spouse, regardless of whether their spouse fulfills the necessary requirements or not" in Section 4.

Any reason for removing the brothers clause?

Also, that part is intended so that people who get a job in Atlasia and are married can bring over their spouse and children. If for some reason my parents had wanted to move, they should have been able to bring along them their kids. In fact I should also add a clause protecting kids under 18 as well if anything.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 08:07:10 AM »

Quote from: Amendment
5d. Medical doctors who have work or intend to work in an area, as determined by the Atlasian Census Bureau, to be rural or impoverished, shall be awarded an additional 7 points.

How's this?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »

5d. Medical doctors who have work or intend to work in an area, as determined by the Atlasian Census Bureau, to be rural or impoverished, shall be awarded an additional 7 points.

How's this?

Seems good to me, though I'd remove the "intend to work in an area" part as it is hard to enforce? Alternatively we could just give them a separate visa.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »

How's this?

Seems good to me, though I'd remove the "intend to work in an area" part as it is hard to enforce? Alternatively we could just give them a separate visa.

Maybe make the visa contingent on them working as a doctor or medical related profession in a rural area, with it revoked after 90 days of no employment in those areas.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 09:32:57 AM »

Revised:
5d. Medical doctors who have work or intend to work within 90 days after arrival in an area, as determined by the Atlasian Census Bureau, to be rural or impoverished, shall be awarded an additional 7 points.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »

Don’t think I support this bill actually but I’ll write more later.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »

Amendment to Section 4:

1a. Job immigration into the Republic of Atlasia shall be based on a points based system. All applicants who score 67 or more points shall be awarded a job immigration visa.
1b. Job immigration visas may be revoked in the event of a failure to meet any continuing requirements as described in this Section.

5d. a) Medical doctors who intend to work in an area, as determined by the Atlasian Census Bureau, to be rural or impoverished, shall be awarded an additional 7 points.
)b Any person who is awarded a job visa because of meeting the requirement in 5d. a) shall have 90 days to gain employment, or to regain employment after a job loss, in such area, or the job visa shall be revoked.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »

Revised:
5d. Medical doctors who have work or intend to work within 90 days after arrival in an area, as determined by the Atlasian Census Bureau, to be rural or impoverished, shall be awarded an additional 7 points.

So far this is my preferred proposal, but I am open to further refinement. This would serve the double purpose of both revitalizing dying rural areas and bringing them services like doctors.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »

Amendment S24:04 has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:18 AM »

Revised:

So far this is my preferred proposal, but I am open to further refinement. This would serve the double purpose of both revitalizing dying rural areas and bringing them services like doctors.

So is that friendly or hostile?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies