Most overrated and underrated political philosophers? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:32:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Most overrated and underrated political philosophers? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated political philosophers?  (Read 3763 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »

so instead I'll mention Theodor W. Adorno, who has some good insights but whose crass misogyny and bizarrely doctrinaire elitism have gotten a free pass in capital-L Leftist (or "Left"-as-an-adjective) circles for way too long.

A wonderful anecdote of Richard Taruskin's, that may be relevant:

When I vented a rather vehement anti-Adornian position, somewhat along the lines of what will follow here, before a German audience in Berlin last year and encountered surprisingly little resistance, I asked one of my hosts about it and was told, "Oh my dear, Adorno is your problem now."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »

Foucault was a lunatic with extremely distasteful politics and moral attitudes, but his strange, addled brain did produce on occasion some very important insights that, most probably, would not have occurred to anyone else. Where a lot of academics go wrong is to try to use him as a substitute for the fallen Marx; as a man who created and propagated a total system of thought that can be usefully applied to any possible scholarly problem.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »

Foucault was a lunatic with extremely distasteful politics and moral attitudes, but his strange, addled brain did produce on occasion some very important insights that, most probably, would not have occurred to anyone else. Where a lot of academics go wrong is to try to use him as a substitute for the fallen Marx; as a man who created and propagated a total system of thought that can be usefully applied to any possible scholarly problem.

Just out of curiosity, how does applying Foucaultvian thought to any scholarly problem work?

At best, impenetrable word-salads. At worst... an example of that disturbing phenomenon when 'Theory' is placed into an intellectual ecosystem it does not belong in and functions like an invasive species.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »

I made the mistake of reading about Foucault & his views on the age of consent....

Yeeees... you see, I was not exaggerating when I mentioned 'extremely distasteful politics and moral attitudes'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies