Do you think we will enter a period of deflation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think we will enter a period of deflation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you think we will enter a period of deflation?  (Read 1653 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »

?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »

We could if there's a long-period of mass unemployment and reduced aggregate demand, but sovereign governments appear willing to step-in and infuse trillions in stimulus to prevent deflationary pressure.  I'd call it unlikely. 
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »

Define "period". There will inevitably be deflation for at least a quarter or two in a recession of this depth. There were deflationary quarters at the bottom of the last recession as well, IIRC. But deflation lasting beyond 2020 seems unlikely in the U.S., maybe somewhat more likely for the Eurozone.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »

You better believe it.

I am seeing businesses, institutions and individuals asking for money because they are struggling.

But no one will have spare money to inject, and Government bailouts will run dry soon.

I just dont see Trump and all the Kings men putting Humpty back together again with the same polished economic conditions for at least 6-12 months.

If two quarters of consecutive negative growth is termed a recession, then i am thinking four quarters of negative growth is the likely outcome in this instance.

Beating this quarter in 12 months time will be a sinch.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »

If we get the mass death that COVID-19 can deliver (maximal reckless and political failure) we will see the valuation of many things from real estate to precious metals plummeting. We would see businesses carefully tuned to the high current world population (such as utilities and fossil fuels) becoming shaky, and their share prices suggesting such.

The possibility of a securities crash remains. I can't understand why the securities market had a short-term (and it looks short-term; I certainly wouldn't be buying in now) recovery. By this time next year the DJIA is more likely to be at 13 K than at 30 K.

I expect Americans to change their consumer behavior. They are finding out what they most cherish and what they can live without. What they find that they can do without they will sacrifice -- likely to pay off debts and start saving again. Behaviors that people abandon in large numbers will go under.   
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:45:30 AM »

If we get the mass death that COVID-19 can deliver (maximal reckless and political failure) we will see the valuation of many things from real estate to precious metals plummeting. We would see businesses carefully tuned to the high current world population (such as utilities and fossil fuels) becoming shaky, and their share prices suggesting such.

The possibility of a securities crash remains. I can't understand why the securities market had a short-term (and it looks short-term; I certainly wouldn't be buying in now) recovery. By this time next year the DJIA is more likely to be at 13 K than at 30 K.

I expect Americans to change their consumer behavior. They are finding out what they most cherish and what they can live without. What they find that they can do without they will sacrifice -- likely to pay off debts and start saving again. Behaviors that people abandon in large numbers will go under.   

I would think that precious metals would have an inverse relationship to the stocks and bonds - in that if the market as a whole is down then precious metals would be up?  I am probably mistaken but I thought that was the general trend?   Otherwise I agree with, or at least favor, your overall assessment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 12:02:18 AM »

I would think that precious metals would have an inverse relationship to the stocks and bonds - in that if the market as a whole is down then precious metals would be up?  I am probably mistaken but I thought that was the general trend?   Otherwise I agree with, or at least favor, your overall assessment.

Gold is up year to date, but both silver and platinum are down, which just goes to show how much demand for those two metals are affected by their industrial uses.

All three crashed mid-March, but quickly recovered somewhat.

Still, if your reason for holding precious metals is to be as a contrarian hedge to equities, gold is the one that has the lowest correlation to equities.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 12:49:32 AM »

Gold is up year to date, but both silver and platinum are down, which just goes to show how much demand for those two metals are affected by their industrial uses.

Still, if your reason for holding precious metals is to be as a contrarian hedge to equities, gold is the one that has the lowest correlation to equities.

So you're telling me if a bunch of people die, I'll be able to buy up property? That's a good idea, hopefully this whole thing peters out, but if it doesn't I know what I'm doing.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 02:47:59 AM »

So you're telling me if a bunch of people die, I'll be able to buy up property? That's a good idea, hopefully this whole thing peters out, but if it doesn't I know what I'm doing.

Real property and precious metals are two entirely different classes of assets, and both differ from equities. Not that I think you are interested, as apparently all you care about is making acid remarks that you think are witty for some unknown reason.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies