S.20.2-1: Ethanol Incentive and Infrastructure Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-1: Ethanol Incentive and Infrastructure Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: S.20.2-1: Ethanol Incentive and Infrastructure Act (Tabled)  (Read 1044 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
« edited: May 24, 2020, 08:24:48 PM by Pear Squad »

I would suggest doing a block grant to the Department of Agriculture for the subsidy that can then be distributed based on need, rather than allocating a certain $ amount for each farmer.

Appreciate this suggestion Tmth.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 04:02:54 AM »

I would suggest doing a block grant to the Department of Agriculture for the subsidy that can then be distributed based on need, rather than allocating a certain $ amount for each farmer.
A good suggestion.

This should also be means tested.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 07:50:20 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 08:24:59 PM by Pear Squad »

Shall we entertain any further debate? I remain fine with the bill as it stands.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 08:25:37 PM »

Yes, we should change the funding structure.

Per an Iowa State study, there are approximately 938,000 farms in the region.

A farm is defined as any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products were produced and sold, or normally would have been sold, during the census year.  Beginning in 1997, operations receiving $1,000 or more in Federal government payments were counted as farms, even if they had no sales reported in the census year.
https://www.icip.iastate.edu/tables/agriculture/farms-by-state

However, many farmers won't be producing subsidies - based on RL, most subsidies were given based on gallons of ethanol produced, so $.45 given back to farmers for every gallon produced. I would incorporate that in here. Now, my recommendation would be to set a maximum amount that the Department of Agriculture can grant per year and then possibly request a CG evaluation a year from now on what this is would cost at full capacity. Because to just grant the $.45/gallon number would require a CG evaluation on how much this will cost, and since we don't have an active CG, we would have to let this bill sit for a while or table it.

Thoughts on which direction we should go?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »

Yes, we should change the funding structure.

Per an Iowa State study, there are approximately 938,000 farms in the region.

A farm is defined as any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products were produced and sold, or normally would have been sold, during the census year.  Beginning in 1997, operations receiving $1,000 or more in Federal government payments were counted as farms, even if they had no sales reported in the census year.
https://www.icip.iastate.edu/tables/agriculture/farms-by-state

However, many farmers won't be producing subsidies - based on RL, most subsidies were given based on gallons of ethanol produced, so $.45 given back to farmers for every gallon produced. I would incorporate that in here. Now, my recommendation would be to set a maximum amount that the Department of Agriculture can grant per year and then possibly request a CG evaluation a year from now on what this is would cost at full capacity. Because to just grant the $.45/gallon number would require a CG evaluation on how much this will cost, and since we don't have an active CG, we would have to let this bill sit for a while or table it.

Thoughts on which direction we should go?

I will take that into account. Would you like to make any other suggestions to amend the bill? Considering tabling this bill as you mentioned that we lack an active CG to make these estimates.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »

I am tabling this bill for now. Delegates have 24 hours to object.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 02:40:05 AM »

Do you mean you motion to table? Which will calls for a vote to table.

The other option open to you is that you withdraw your sponsorship. That will remove the need for a vote and have the same effect.

Quote from: Standing Rules Section V
2.) The sponsor of a piece of legislation may at any time withdraw his or her sponsorship. In addition, when the sponsor is no longer a Delegate, his or her sponsorship shall be revoked automatically. If no member of the Chamber of Delegates moves to assume sponsorship of the legislation within 48 hours, the legislation shall be tabled automatically.
Considering the current activity levels of the chamber this maybe the quickest way for you to remove it from the floor.

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »

Do you mean you motion to table? Which will calls for a vote to table.

The other option open to you is that you withdraw your sponsorship. That will remove the need for a vote and have the same effect.

Quote from: Standing Rules Section V
2.) The sponsor of a piece of legislation may at any time withdraw his or her sponsorship. In addition, when the sponsor is no longer a Delegate, his or her sponsorship shall be revoked automatically. If no member of the Chamber of Delegates moves to assume sponsorship of the legislation within 48 hours, the legislation shall be tabled automatically.
Considering the current activity levels of the chamber this maybe the quickest way for you to remove it from the floor.

Mr. Speaker, that makes sense. I would like to withdraw my sponsorship.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 12:24:31 AM »

Mr. Speaker, that makes sense. I would like to withdraw my sponsorship.

S.20.2-1 has been automatically tabled as there is no sponsor.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies