Who would have been the Democratic nominee had Hillary Clinton not run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:24:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Who would have been the Democratic nominee had Hillary Clinton not run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Discuss.
Bernie Sanders

Joe Biden

Elizabeth Warren

Martin O'Malley

Someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Who would have been the Democratic nominee had Hillary Clinton not run?  (Read 2001 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:45:01 PM »

Discuss.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »

Biden would have been urged to run by the establishment and he beats Sanders.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »

Biden would have been urged to run by the establishment and he beats Sanders.

Yep.  It's pretty clear now that much of Sanders' support was based on him not being Hillary.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 02:17:26 PM »

I actually think there would have been a big establishment field, as I don't think Biden would feel pressured to run in order to "beat Trump".  Patrick, Gillibrand, Warner and several others probably run, and I think Warren would too.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 11:32:34 PM »

I actually think there would have been a big establishment field, as I don't think Biden would feel pressured to run in order to "beat Trump".  Patrick, Gillibrand, Warner and several others probably run, and I think Warren would too.
I agree. Probably a lot of people included in the hypothetical polls would have run
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2016_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries#Polls_conducted_in_2013
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »

Sanders wouldn't have run to begin with, because the Draft Warren movement he supported would have succeeded in launching her campaign. That would probably have ended in defeat to Biden in the primaries (and I think he would also have won the GE), but there's definitely room for a Warren victory there. The historic unpopularity of HRC is a weakness he didn't share, but Biden had less establishment loyalty than her and a less enthusiastic core of supporters (which would have hurt him in the caucuses).
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »

If Biden had run, he would have won both the primary and the presidency easily.

Without Biden...I guess Sanders? No idea what the GE outcome of that would be, though. Possibilities probably span from HRC's outcome (or worse) all the way to a complete upending of the typical map (Sanders winning WV, or something).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »

Despite an early lead over a crowded field, Warren loses to Biden in a fashion not that different from Dean losing to Kerry.

Agreed
mianfei
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 04:23:49 AM »

I’d think Warren would have had a good chance without Biden and Clinton running, actually. She might have had substantial appeal to the Sanders supporters without being viewed so extreme by the more establishment wing of the party.

Her combination of hawkishness on foreign policy and progressive economics might have lost her the Upper Midwest even more than Hilary did. At the same time – especially if she was less unpopular than Hilary Clinton – she could have done better in such critical Southern states as Florida and North Carolina. If she had won those two and all the votes Hilary won it would have given the Democrats 276 electoral votes – just enough to win.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »

Biden would actually be a pretty big question mark, as Beau's 2015 death weighed heavily on him & was the single biggest reason that he ended up not running. Without Hillary in the race, though, it'd be a wide open contest & he'd easily be the favorite to win the nomination were he to jump in, even in the fall, & that's the sort of chance that might've been too good to pass up.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »

Biden if he chooses to run. If not, Warren would stand a good chance of getting drafted and with Bernie not running (he said he'd have stayed out in 2016 if she ran), she'd have a good shot at getting nominated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies