How the Richest and Poorest Counties Voted in Each State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  How the Richest and Poorest Counties Voted in Each State
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the Richest and Poorest Counties Voted in Each State  (Read 996 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »
« edited: April 28, 2020, 02:34:05 PM by RINO Tom »

Before anyone jumps ALL up on my back, two things:

1) I'm not doubting any increased trends since 2018 or whatever, but not every state had a Senate election, and I am not about to mess around with House district stuff.  This is just for fun and to make a cool map, lol.

2) I got the richest and poorest counties from the following articles...

Richest: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/01/24/richest-counties-us-median-household-income/38870227/
Poorest: https://247wallst.com/special-report/2020/01/02/the-poorest-county-in-every-state-4/

... on a few that I thought looked odd, I looked up other sources and changed them to be "accurate."  I didn't have time to do that for all fifty states, so if you have a correction to make, let me know!  I will gladly change it and update the map.  The list of counties I used is below the maps.

How the Richest County in Each State Voted in 2016

How the Poorest County in Each State Voted in 2016

Counties Used

Alabama
Richest: Shelby, Poorest: Dallas
Alaska
Richest: Denali, Poorest: Northwest Arctic
Arizona
Richest: Maricopa, Poorest: Apache
Arkansas
Richest: Benton, Poorest: Lafayette
California
Richest: Santa Clara, Poorest: Lake
Colorado
Richest: Douglas, Poorest: Otero
Connecticut
Richest: Fairfield, Poorest: Windham
Delaware
Richest: New Castle, Poorest: Kent
Florida
Richest: St. Johns, Poorest: DeSoto
Georgia
Richest: Forsyth, Poorest: Telfair
Hawaii
Richest: Honolulu, Poorest: Hawaii
Idaho
Richest: Ada, Poorest: Madison
Illinois
Richest: Kendall, Poorest: Pulaski
Indiana
Richest: Hamilton, Poorest: Blackford
Iowa
Richest: Dallas, Poorest: Appanoose
Kansas
Richest: Johnson, Poorest: Elk
Kentucky
Richest: Oldham, Poorest: Harlan
Louisiana
Richest: Ascension, Poorest: Natchitoches
Maine
Richest: Cumberland, Poorest: Piscataquis
Maryland
Richest: Howard, Poorest: Somerset
Massachusetts
Richest: Norfolk, Poorest: Hampden
Michigan
Richest: Livingston, Poorest: Lake
Minnesota
Richest: Scott, Poorest: Mahnomen
Mississippi
Richest: Madison, Poorest: Holmes
Missouri
Richest: St. Charles, Poorest: Shannon
Montana
Richest: Richland, Poorest: Glacier
Nebraska
Richest: Sarpy, Poorest: Sheridan
Nevada
Richest: Elko, Poorest: Nye
New Hampshire
Richest: Rockingham, Poorest: Coos
New Jersey
Richest: Hunterdon, Poorest: Cumberland
New Mexico
Richest: Los Alamos, Poorest: Quay
New York
Richest: Nassau, Poorest: Bronx
North Carolina
Richest: Wake, Poorest: Bladen
North Dakota
Richest: Williams, Poorest: Rolette
Ohio
Richest: Delaware, Poorest: Adams
Oklahoma
Richest: Canadian, Poorest: Choctaw
Oregon
Richest: Washington, Poorest: Malheur
Pennsylvania
Richest: Chester, Poorest: Forest
Rhode Island
Richest: Washington, Poorest: Providence
South Carolina
Richest: Beaufort, Poorest: Dillon
South Dakota
Richest: Lincoln, Poorest: Mellette
Tennessee
Richest: Williamson, Poorest: Hancock
Texas
Richest: Rockwall, Poorest: Starr
Utah
Richest: Summit, Poorest: San Juan
Vermont
Richest: Chittenden, Poorest: Essex
Virginia
Richest: Loudoun, Poorest: Dickenson
Washington
Richest: King, Poorest: Ferry
West Virginia
Richest: Jefferson, Poorest: McDowell
Wisconsin
Richest: Waukesha, Poorest: Iron
Wyoming
Richest: Campbell, Poorest: Albany

Notes
- As always, I could have easily made mistakes ... lol.
- With the exceptions of super-blue CA, HI, NY, MA and RI (where both voted Democratic), in every state where the richest county voted Democratic, the poorest county voted Republican.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this was “big metro area resentment” epitomized?
- Despite Trump losing the state, it’s interesting that both the richest and poorest county in NH voted for him.
- It does seem that coastal “rich counties” do tend to be more Democratic than non-coastal “rich counties,” at least at a glance (with the exception of NJ’s richest county, Hunterdon, voting Republican).  Even Chicagoland’s richest county, Kendall, voted for Trump.
- Utah surprised me.
- Again, at a glance, it would appear that INNER suburbs – specifically in very large and diverse metros – have been much more willing to move toward the Democrats, while OUTER suburbs – specifically in not-as-large metros but not exclusively – have remained much more Republican.  This wouldn’t surprise me, as I would imagine that on average they are Whiter and newer (i.e., less urban in dynamic).
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »

I've been to St. Augustine this February and it smelled like "riiiich Republicans" everywhere but from what I've read in my life I would have thought the richest county in Florida was Collier County, where there seems to be a lot of $$$ millionaires.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »

Hi RINO Tom---

Like what you're doing here.... Smiley

Basically taking relatively current 2019-2020 MHI data sets and creating cool maps using 2016 PRES GE numbers as a baseline.

For anyone interested in a refresher and additional data from a thread which RINO TOM started on 6/21/17: "How Each States Richest County Voted" and I added to a bit (although was yet another incomplete project) and attempted to map the "Richest Place in the Richest County" using precinct level data....

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=267040.msg5708486#msg5708486

Another good read for anyone interested in getting caught up a bit, would be: "Super Wealthy Towns which Heavily Swung against Trump" started by Melior

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259050.0

Another read would be "How did the Poorest Counties in the US Vote by State", which I started as a thread on 7/4/17, directly inspired by RINO Tom's "Richest County" thread. (Unfortunately an incomplete project in terms of analysis)  Sad

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=267947.msg5725492#msg5725492

Interestingly enough it appears as though the 2019>2020 "Poorest County" MHI numbers are much less advantageous to the Democrats than the ~2015 (?) numbers I used.

@ RINO Tom---

Are you seeing significant shifts within the poorest counties in from 2015 > 2020 which moves to a Trump quasi EC "poorest county landslide" vs my map which looks like a 288 HRC win (Excluding Alaska Results-- presumably HRC)?

California is an obvious one since Tulare County was on my "poorest" list and Lake County is on the 2019/2020 "poorest" list that you used....

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:12:20 PM »

I've been to St. Augustine this February and it smelled like "riiiich Republicans" everywhere but from what I've read in my life I would have thought the richest county in Florida was Collier County, where there seems to be a lot of $$$ millionaires.

St. Augustine itself votes narrowly Democratic, actually. It's the Jacksonville sprawl in the north of St. Johns County that makes the county so Republican.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »

St. Augustine itself votes narrowly Democratic, actually. It's the Jacksonville sprawl in the north of St. Johns County that makes the county so Republican.

Interesting.

I guess St. Augustine is also frequented by many Republicans living in the surrounding areas.
But I decided to check on DRA 2020. St. Augustine proper appears to have voted Obama by 10 points in 2008; Clinton by a hair and Rubio by 10 points in 2016; Gillum and Nelson both by 8/9 points in 2018.
So yes, it's narrowly Democratic. I find that kinda right-leaning for a touristic place.
So out of curiosity I compared St. Augustine to another place where I have been, Key West.
Key West voted D by at least 20 points in every race I mentioned, and Obama 08 and Nelson 18 both took over 2/3 of the vote.

My take is that St. Augustine is a closely divided city surrounded by uniformly Republican territory, specifically Republicans-in-villas territory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies