school uniforms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  school uniforms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 19524 times)
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« on: May 24, 2004, 01:49:49 PM »

Most worlplaces have a dress code rather than an actual uniform policy.  The jobs that generally require a uniform are those that could be performed by anyone in that uniform, even a robot programmed to do the job.  The jobs that have a dress code are those that requrie actual individuals to do the jobs (ie creative skills and individual thought are useful).
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:12:44 PM »

School uniforms are good. They work as equalizers. You don't know who is rich or poor in a uniform, because everyone wears the same thing. Uniforms also encourage dicipline. Kids have to wear a uniform every day, so they are going to have to get up earliuer, get in this uniform, dress the correct code, and frankly act more responcible.

Freedom of expression is not in the 1st Ammendment., The 1st Amm. sates the freedom to peaceably assemble, the freedom to petition, the freedom of worship, and the freedom of speech. Freedom of speech gives you the freedom to accuse the government of wrong doings, not wear a shirt covered in curse words.

How can you say that you're conservative and then push for state mandated equalizers?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:16:14 PM »

so, rightwingnut, are you saying that firemen, police officers, car mechanics, are doing a job that a 'robot' can perform?

i wear a uniform to work. (and id put my individual thought skills up there with anyone.)

I refer not to individual thought skills, but rather individual thought duties.

For the most part yes.  I could program a firefighting robot; a robotic mechanic; or a robotic traffic cop, highway patroller, arrest factor, etc.  Detectives are a special case, but they generally have a dress code, not a uniform.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

School uniforms are good. They work as equalizers. You don't know who is rich or poor in a uniform, because everyone wears the same thing. Uniforms also encourage dicipline. Kids have to wear a uniform every day, so they are going to have to get up earliuer, get in this uniform, dress the correct code, and frankly act more responcible.

Freedom of expression is not in the 1st Ammendment., The 1st Amm. sates the freedom to peaceably assemble, the freedom to petition, the freedom of worship, and the freedom of speech. Freedom of speech gives you the freedom to accuse the government of wrong doings, not wear a shirt covered in curse words.

How can you say that you're conservative and then push for state mandated equalizers?

I'm a Conservative because I want to teach kids dicipline with uniforms.

They're not your kids; it's the parents' responsibility to teach the kids discipline.  Imposing values on others through use of the government is exactly the behavior that brands liberals in New England as elitists, by supporting the same process, even with diametrically opposite viewpoints, is still just as liberal-elitist.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »

If it benefits the poor so much, then why is it usually the rich that supports uniforms?

"If it benefits the poor so much, then why is it usually the rich that supports" <insert elitist policy here>?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies