What does a new Democrat-dominated party system look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:36:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What does a new Democrat-dominated party system look like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What does a new Democrat-dominated party system look like?  (Read 2063 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
« edited: May 18, 2020, 09:54:57 PM by R.P. McM »

I think largely it would involve gaining a lock on the demographics already trending Democrat, that is suburban white voters, and enormous margins with younger voters who will become a larger part of the electorate as they grow older. Geographically I think a key election to look at would be Alabama Senate 2017. Counties like Tuscaloosa and Madison would have to be consistently (non-Atlas) blue, and minority turnout would have to be consistently high. For Democrats to actually dominate a party system like this, results like in Alabama would need to be a consistent thing in other now reliably red states. Counties like Tulsa OK and Greenville SC would have to flip, with Republicans really having any standing only in white rural areas.

Of course this is all hypothetical. The counterpoint for Republicans would be to look at Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan win maps in Massachusetts and Maryland. Essentially it boils down to if either party can completely win over white suburban voters, then that party would dominate.

If Democrats can make that sort of coalition in the south sustainable combined with the religious right fading in relevance, say by succeeding in getting roe v wade overturned and essentially winning on abortion after they already lost on gay marriage I could see it.

The religious right is organized around very broad-based racial and cultural grievances, not the singular issue of abortion, which conservative Protestants discovered they cared about in the 1970's. So that would never fly. Moreover, Northern cosmopolitans would never accept such an outcome, so the fight would continue indefinitely.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »

I think largely it would involve gaining a lock on the demographics already trending Democrat, that is suburban white voters, and enormous margins with younger voters who will become a larger part of the electorate as they grow older. Geographically I think a key election to look at would be Alabama Senate 2017. Counties like Tuscaloosa and Madison would have to be consistently (non-Atlas) blue, and minority turnout would have to be consistently high. For Democrats to actually dominate a party system like this, results like in Alabama would need to be a consistent thing in other now reliably red states. Counties like Tulsa OK and Greenville SC would have to flip, with Republicans really having any standing only in white rural areas.

Of course this is all hypothetical. The counterpoint for Republicans would be to look at Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan win maps in Massachusetts and Maryland. Essentially it boils down to if either party can completely win over white suburban voters, then that party would dominate.

If Democrats can make that sort of coalition in the south sustainable combined with the religious right fading in relevance, say by succeeding in getting roe v wade overturned and essentially winning on abortion after they already lost on gay marriage I could see it.

The religious right is organized around very broad based racial and cultural grievances, not the singular issue of abortion, which conservative Protestants discovered they cared about in the 1970's. So that would never fly. Moreover, Northern cosmopolitans would never accept such an outcome, so the fight would continue indefinitely.

Two things I heard-
1) It was either Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson who once said that abortion was a Catholic issue as late as 1970?
2) Any outcome where Roe gets overruled PROBABLY makes abortion a bigger issue at least for a few years. Until and unless secular progressives or traditional nationalists are willing to say "it's the law of the land. It's that way for a reason, OK? Period!" and cede the issue , we will see an major policy changes causing a lot of resistance.
3) It will be a HUGE task to get working class rural people to assimilate more into broader society, whether they are minorities or white. Especially to the point where they just see themselves as working people at the level they don't feel guilt voting for their self-interests.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »

The religious right is organized around very broad based racial and cultural grievances, not the singular issue of abortion, which conservative Protestants discovered they cared about in the 1970's. So that would never fly. Moreover, Northern cosmopolitans would never accept such an outcome, so the fight would continue indefinitely.

Two things I heard-
1) It was either Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson who once said that abortion was a Catholic issue as late as 1970?
2) Any outcome where Roe gets overruled PROBABLY makes abortion a bigger issue at least for a few years. Until and unless secular progressives or traditional nationalists are willing to say "it's the law of the land. It's that way for a reason, OK? Period!" and cede the issue , we will see an major policy changes causing a lot of resistance.
3) It will be a HUGE task to get working class rural people to assimilate more into broader society, whether they are minorities or white. Especially to the point where they just see themselves as working people at the level they don't feel guilt voting for their self-interests.

I think this map (pre-Roe) is extremely telling:

RED = Illegal
PURPLE = Rape exemption
BLUE = Health exemption
GREEN = Rape/Health/Viability exemption
YELLOW = Legal
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 09:56:56 PM »

Two things I heard-

I think this map (pre-Roe) is extremely telling:

RED = Illegal
PURPLE = Rape exemption
BLUE = Health exemption
GREEN = Rape/Health/Viability exemption
YELLOW = Legal
Interesting to see the South being more pro-choice than the MW.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies