school uniforms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:55:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  school uniforms?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 19654 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2004, 09:55:26 PM »

Technically, you don't HAVE to go to school, you can get home-schooling if you want.

Probably not in Kentucky, a state with a reputation of harassing students and parents who challenge fascist school officials.

Kentucky is the land where kids have no rights.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2004, 10:00:27 PM »

I know. I read the ACLU report on the Boyd County incident.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2004, 10:37:38 PM »

I am opposed to school uniforms.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2004, 01:04:36 AM »

Bandit73--

You should register to vote in the fantasy elections. We have a presidential election coming up in June. Here's the link...

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=2153;start=330
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 01:08:15 AM »

I can't make heads or tails out of what's going on over there.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2004, 01:09:56 AM »

Any specific questions?

Basically it's a fantasy government. I'm the president, and we have a senate, and a supreme court. We argue, debate, and vote on real issues...obviously we don't have any real power...but it's fun nonetheless. We have a game moderator who presents real issues for the government to have to deal with.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 11:15:22 AM »

Any specific questions?

Basically it's a fantasy government. I'm the president, and we have a senate, and a supreme court. We argue, debate, and vote on real issues...obviously we don't have any real power...but it's fun nonetheless. We have a game moderator who presents real issues for the government to have to deal with.

He wants you to join so you can vote for him Smiley

I mean...

*cough cough erhem cough*
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 11:25:24 AM »

Technically, you don't HAVE to go to school, you can get home-schooling if you want.

Probably not in Kentucky, a state with a reputation of harassing students and parents who challenge fascist school officials.

Kentucky is the land where kids have no rights.
No home schooling in Germany either.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »

Anyway, back to school uniforms...

Even though the majority of workplaces do require uniforms (yes, Bandit, they do!!! Shocked Wink)... they only do it to look professional.

So that point for school uniforms is invalid, as I fail to see a reason for kids to look professional at school Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2004, 12:16:49 PM »

I had to wear a uniform in school.
NHPolitico

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2004, 12:29:14 PM »

Should we ask if it included a plaid skirt and if you can post a picture?

Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2004, 12:31:45 PM »

Should we ask if it included a plaid skirt and if you can post a picture?

Smiley
ya it had the plaid skirt.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2004, 01:49:49 PM »

Most worlplaces have a dress code rather than an actual uniform policy.  The jobs that generally require a uniform are those that could be performed by anyone in that uniform, even a robot programmed to do the job.  The jobs that have a dress code are those that requrie actual individuals to do the jobs (ie creative skills and individual thought are useful).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2004, 02:24:04 PM »

so, rightwingnut, are you saying that firemen, police officers, car mechanics, are doing a job that a 'robot' can perform?

i wear a uniform to work. (and id put my individual thought skills up there with anyone.)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code, does that make the police, the army, the fire department, hospitals fascists?

but you choose to work at those places.

Not necessarily, military service is compulsory in some countries.

and I consider that fascist as well.
So countries like Finland and Sweden at the present and most European countries during the Cold War were fascists??

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2004, 08:49:14 PM »

School uniforms are good. They work as equalizers. You don't know who is rich or poor in a uniform, because everyone wears the same thing. Uniforms also encourage dicipline. Kids have to wear a uniform every day, so they are going to have to get up earliuer, get in this uniform, dress the correct code, and frankly act more responcible.

Freedom of expression is not in the 1st Ammendment., The 1st Amm. sates the freedom to peaceably assemble, the freedom to petition, the freedom of worship, and the freedom of speech. Freedom of speech gives you the freedom to accuse the government of wrong doings, not wear a shirt covered in curse words.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2004, 08:55:26 PM »

School uniforms are good. They work as equalizers. You don't know who is rich or poor in a uniform, because everyone wears the same thing. Uniforms also encourage dicipline. Kids have to wear a uniform every day, so they are going to have to get up earliuer, get in this uniform, dress the correct code, and frankly act more responcible.

Freedom of expression is not in the 1st Ammendment., The 1st Amm. sates the freedom to peaceably assemble, the freedom to petition, the freedom of worship, and the freedom of speech. Freedom of speech gives you the freedom to accuse the government of wrong doings, not wear a shirt covered in curse words.

The usual B.S.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »

The usual B.S.

Great argument Bandit.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2004, 09:12:44 PM »

How can you say that you're conservative and then push for state mandated equalizers?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2004, 09:16:14 PM »

so, rightwingnut, are you saying that firemen, police officers, car mechanics, are doing a job that a 'robot' can perform?

i wear a uniform to work. (and id put my individual thought skills up there with anyone.)

I refer not to individual thought skills, but rather individual thought duties.

For the most part yes.  I could program a firefighting robot; a robotic mechanic; or a robotic traffic cop, highway patroller, arrest factor, etc.  Detectives are a special case, but they generally have a dress code, not a uniform.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2004, 09:28:20 PM »

How can you say that you're conservative and then push for state mandated equalizers?

I'm a Conservative because I want to teach kids dicipline with uniforms.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

I'm a Conservative because I want to teach kids dicipline with uniforms.

They're not your kids; it's the parents' responsibility to teach the kids discipline.  Imposing values on others through use of the government is exactly the behavior that brands liberals in New England as elitists, by supporting the same process, even with diametrically opposite viewpoints, is still just as liberal-elitist.
NHPolitico

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2004, 07:46:41 AM »

The state can do whatever it wants, from a conservative standpoint, unless the Constitution says it can't.  States used to be much more socially conservative and it was constitutional. Besides, they aren't equalizers of outcomes-- a liberal path.
Jezziah

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2004, 12:58:19 PM »

Uniforms are a good idea, although admittedly it would be better if they could be made a little more comfortable.  It reduces classroom distractions as you don't spend the whole time judging people on what they wear.  It saves time, you don't have to worry about what clothes to wear in the morning.  It reduces oppotunity for bullying, you can't be bullied about what you wear.  And it breaks down social boundries, the rich and the poor aren't seperated by how they look.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2004, 01:01:33 PM »

If it benefits the poor so much, then why is it usually the rich that supports uniforms?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies