school uniforms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:25:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  school uniforms?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 19590 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2004, 10:17:08 AM »

i decided it would be best to create a thread for school uniforms.

i favor uniforms.  they are a good idea.  it does put everyone on an equal playing field and creates an atmosphere more suitable for learning.  im also astounded by some of the clothes kids are wearing.

i can assure you kids that you wont be able to show up for work wearing the clothes you wear to school.  the vast majority of jobs have strict dress codes and/or uniforms, so why shouldnt schools?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:56:09 AM »

I support them for the reasons I stated on Page 5 of the Presidential Voting Thread:

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=3848;start=60
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 11:04:03 AM »

I never saw these conflicts over clothing. At my school, the only kids picked on were the ones who wore that preppy crap.

uniforms are fascist.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 11:06:42 AM »

I don't want to buy school uniforms because I'd have to actually buy clothes.  I hate preppy clothes and have never set foot in a clothing store {and I never will}.  I get my clothes from walmart, outlet malls, or free from events.

Of course, i'm very unaverage in that respect . . .
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code, does that make the police, the army, the fire department, hospitals fascists?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 11:33:51 AM »

I don't want to buy school uniforms because I'd have to actually buy clothes.  I hate preppy clothes and have never set foot in a clothing store {and I never will}.  I get my clothes from walmart, outlet malls, or free from events.

Of course, i'm very unaverage in that respect . . .

I get most of mine from Charity Shops and discount stores...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 11:45:52 AM »

The only place where I might approve of School Uniforms is on teacher's bodies.
They have this unfortunate tendency of obscuring the difference between the rich and the not-so-rich and highlighting the difference between those and the really poor. I had ample time to study that effect in India...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »

They have this unfortunate tendency of obscuring the difference between the rich and the not-so-rich and highlighting the difference between those and the really poor. I had ample time to study that effect in India...

Surely wearing own clothes could do that too, the rich would probably tend to wear designer clothes while the poor would wear cheaper clothes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 11:56:56 AM »

Surely wearing own clothes could do that too, the rich would probably tend to wear designer clothes while the poor would wear cheaper clothes.
The rich are in a minority...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 12:01:04 PM »

The rich are in a minority...

Sorry, I mis-read your original post, a bit tired, been working most of the day.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 12:36:10 PM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code, does that make the police, the army, the fire department, hospitals fascists?

but you choose to work at those places.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

Not necessarily, military service is compulsory in some countries.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 12:40:45 PM »

Uniforms create equality- everyone wears the same regardless of income- and subsidised school uniforms (which in the UK they often are)- are cheaper than buying and changing clothes to be worn throughout term-time. In the UK, uniforms are pretty much the norm rather than the exception, though for a while it was only private school kids, like me, who wore the blazer in the Glasgow area. That is changing- parents in school comittees have voted overwhelmingly to have blazers compulsory in the 3 nearest highschools to my home. It means children are smartly turned out and represent their school. But values can differ between countries I guess.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 12:41:37 PM »

i favor uniforms.  they are a good idea.  it does put everyone on an equal playing field

?!?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

?!?!?!

Me too Tongue  However, that just means we should perhaps enforce the dress code more.  As much as I dislike Abercrombie, I don't think it should be banned at school.

Because we don't need to look professional at school Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 12:43:10 PM »

Not necessarily, military service is compulsory in some countries.

and I consider that fascist as well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 12:46:35 PM »

i can assure you kids that you wont be able to show up for work wearing the clothes you wear to school.

I've never had a job with a dress code, they were all "behind the scenes" deals. but even in jobs were you actually deal with customers, not all have dress codes. Just go into any record store or most video stores.
NewFreedom
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 12:50:58 PM »

You ahve dess.-codes at work... butr then again, you CHOOSE your job, right?
I mean, Going into a Garage, repairing a car... with a blazer? Funny pictue, but impractical Wink.
Usually, you choose a job because it interests you, and the clothing comes with it.
Now, you HAVE to go to school, you have absolutely NO choice.
So, you are pushed into a school, forced to wear clothes you probably absolutely hate... and spend 8 hours a day in a place you cannot escape and where everbody looks the same?
Also, a dresscode, like companies have it, is no uniform.
Military is an entirely different matter anyway, police and them simply have to be recognizable, and hospitals and such need clothing wich fits the enviroment (going into hospital with red clothing, or a fabric that might easily carry dust and therefore germs would be plain stupid).

Also, I doubt I would have learned better in a more Uniform enviroment at school.. actually, I often MISSED something like colors, and could hardly write exams unless I cauht a place near the window Wink.
So, for some, it might make things easier... but I think I would have had a harder time focusing!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 12:54:06 PM »

You ahve dess.-codes at work... butr then again, you CHOOSE your job, right?
I mean, Going into a Garage, repairing a car... with a blazer? Funny pictue, but impractical Wink.
Usually, you choose a job because it interests you, and the clothing comes with it.
Now, you HAVE to go to school, you have absolutely NO choice.
So, you are pushed into a school, forced to wear clothes you probably absolutely hate... and spend 8 hours a day in a place you cannot escape and where everbody looks the same?
Also, a dresscode, like companies have it, is no uniform.
Military is an entirely different matter anyway, police and them simply have to be recognizable, and hospitals and such need clothing wich fits the enviroment (going into hospital with red clothing, or a fabric that might easily carry dust and therefore germs would be plain stupid).

Also, I doubt I would have learned better in a more Uniform enviroment at school.. actually, I often MISSED something like colors, and could hardly write exams unless I cauht a place near the window Wink.
So, for some, it might make things easier... but I think I would have had a harder time focusing!

Technically, you don't HAVE to go to school, you can get home-schooling if you want.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 01:08:20 PM »

i can assure you kids that you wont be able to show up for work wearing the clothes you wear to school.

I've never had a job with a dress code, they were all "behind the scenes" deals. but even in jobs were you actually deal with customers, not all have dress codes. Just go into any record store or most video stores.

the real world isnt one big record or video shop.

being well dressed is a big part of professionalism.  would you hire a lawyer or go to a doctor that was dressed like a slob?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

the real world isnt one big record or video shop.

being well dressed is a big part of professionalism.  would you hire a lawyer or go to a doctor that was dressed like a slob?

if they had a good record.

i currently work at a big tech company.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 01:18:32 PM »

I never saw these conflicts over clothing. At my school, the only kids picked on were the ones who wore that preppy crap.

uniforms are fascist.

Well For one i don't favor uniforms. Plus I wear "that preppy crap" but I don't pick on people. No one does at my school. Well i guess because mainly every one wheres preppy stuff.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 02:33:28 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2004, 02:37:13 PM by migrendel »

Forcing people to dress alike so that they may be equal is Marxism at its worst. Even we radical leftists can accept that some people dress nicer than others, and forcing everyone to wear a drab, ugly garment isn't at the forefront of the class struggle.

I for one would take umbrage to wearing uniforms. My high school was a private one, and we had uniforms, but I didn't mind them because they seethed of sexual tension just below the surface. But when I see the compulsory drab raiment donned by some public school children because their classmates are clad in forma pauperis, I can see why they object. So ugly, so pointless.

And please, better red than dead. Spare us of your reviling of those among us who wish to dress nicely. We are not lesser people for exercising that prerogative. I have always dressed expensively, and well, and I shall never see any obligation to the appearances of others.
California Dreamer

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2004, 05:10:50 PM »

I went to catholic school for 13 years and I wore a uniform

and I always demand my girlfriends wear catholic schoolgirl uniforms

....see, it did me a world of good
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2004, 05:39:32 PM »

Of the top 500 things that I think should be done to improve public education, this issue is about #219...

I would at least support a dress code. With the stuff kids wear... if somebody wants to come to school looking like a jerk or a pro wrestling reject, then they can go home or be disciplined.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code,

Mine doesn't.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: