The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:29:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30687 times)
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« on: July 27, 2021, 07:24:05 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2021, 02:15:15 AM by THG »

I watched Fast and Furious 9.

They went into space. And they drove cars fast. But they also went into space AND drove cars fast at the same time. Truly revolutionary, I know.

3/10 movie if you're sober- but possibly a 6/10 if you're drunk.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:30:13 PM »

Pig (2021): Yesterday I saw Michael Sarnoski's Pig in theaters-- the first time I've visited a theater since the pandemic began. I was unsure what to expect, as Nic Cage's record for the past decade has been... sloppy (to put it gently). However, I was pleasantly surprised. This is Cage's best film in years, and a great re-entry point for seeing movies in theaters again. This is a subtle, contemplative film about dealing with loss and being authentic, and it provides Cage with a wonderfully sympathetic character to work with. In the hands of a lesser writer/director, this movie would've taken a turn towards violent vengeance as Cage searches for his stolen truffle pig. However, the climax to this film is the exact opposite of this-- our main character uses empathy, compassion, and honesty to confront his enemies, which makes this an emotionally fulfilling antidote to typical Hollywood fare.

One scene in particular stands out-- Cage's character is confronting a man from his past (who he clearly does not respect), but rather than belittle or attack him, he simply uses the facts of the man's life against him. In a brief, well-written monologue, he completely unmasks the man (played by David Knell), exposing his inauthenticity while simultaneously laying bare the charade of modern "concept restaurant."

This five-minute scene alone is a whirlwind of emotions, and it doesn't even compare to some of the later scenes in the film, which positively drip with tragic catharsis.

Though this is certainly a dark film, it isn't depressing or gratuitously morose. It's actually rather hopeful. I would give Pig a 10/10, and I'd recommend it to just about anyone who would like to see a real movie for once.

As an often noted pig enthusiast I was intrigued by the trailer and even more eager to see the film now that it's been getting such acclaim. It will probably make me cry. Hopefully it will come to streaming soon and I can watch it with my own pig!

Well if you like pigs, you should feel an especially raw emotional connection to this movie and to Cage's character. I really recommend this; I haven't seen a movie this good in theaters in years.

I hope this movie is an good as you say. I enjoy meme-watching Fast and Furious movies, but I need to see a good movie in theaters for once.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 12:00:20 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 07:00:54 PM by Coolidge 2024 »

Two of the most recent ones I have seen:

The Last King of Scotland-

Features a very well acted performance by Forest Whitaker playing Idi Amin. I however have to note that this movie’s high point is his performance, as the rest of the movie isn’t that exceptional, being passable if not as great, and I wasn’t expecting James McAvoy’s character to be the main one- he does a solid job, but I simply didn’t really enjoy his character that much, and found him rather meh. However this movie does serve as an interesting political allegory (it’s a very obvious indictment of populism), so I think Atlas would probably enjoy it. Overall a decently well made biopic but not something I’ll be scrambling to rewatch, if ever.

Score: 7/10. 6/10 upon thinking about it more.

Gladiator-

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???”

I rewatched this movie with my family recently. I have to say, while it is acclaimed and definitely has its moments I enjoyed watching, I found this movie somewhat underwhelming? Which is a same, because this is the exact kind of movie I should love.... but I do not.

Sure, the story “Good guy on the top of the world gets everything taken away from him and has to work his way up” has been done to death. But it’s not that cliched story I have an issue with.

The special effects have aged poorly, the dialogue isn’t anything special, and Russell Crowe is literally stoic for the whole movie while his character has no character other than being the “good guy who has to work his way up after being stripped of him”. Joaquin Pheonix does a great job but he isn’t enough to make this movie truly mesmerizing. Also, for a swords and sandals movie, much of the editing during the fight scenes is really rather sloppy at times.

I still enjoyed much of this movie, and it definitely isn’t the worst thing to watch for fun, but it isn’t anything other than a half decent swords and sandals crowd-pleaser. Definitely not one of the best Best Picture winners.

Score- Maybe a 6/10. Probably closer to a 5/10.

EDIT: It’s definitely a 5.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »

I also saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Solid, iconic performances/castings, and truly excellent cinematography. I also really enjoyed the settings and locations of the film. It isn’t my favorite western of them all but is certainly one of the better (and most iconic) ones that I’ve seen.

8/10.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 10:03:37 AM by Coolidge 2024 »

It’s not necessarily a terrible movie, and still has the kick ass cheesy-entertainment factor going for it, but it’s actually surprisingly horribly dated.

It’s a shame because there are aspects about it to like (some of the battle scenes in the beginning are great, the score is fantastic, there are some satisfying moments, and I like Pheonix even if he is incredibly hammy)- but the horribly aged CGI, poor dialogue, bland characters, and predictable story let it down. Also, the editing is sometimes downright terrible.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 06:23:53 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2021, 06:40:41 PM by THG »

Tropic Thunder is pretty hilarious. One of the better comedies I’ve seen recently for sure. It’s a shame that such a movie would be canceled today (if they tried making it).
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 02:16:50 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 02:20:06 AM by THG »

Tropic Thunder is pretty hilarious. One of the better comedies I’ve seen recently for sure. It’s a shame that such a movie would be canceled today (if they tried making it).

"Pump your brakes, kid. That man's a national treasure."

Classic.

I didn't necessarily laugh out loud many times while watching it (though I rarely laugh out loud while watching movies), but I certainly laugh to myself thinking of the many hilarious lines of dialogue from it.

It truly is a very quotable movie and I think I'll like it even more upon a re-watch.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »

The original Alien (1979) still holds up. A perfect example on how to pace a movie.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »

I watched a Persian movie called Taste of Cherry, about a man driving around looking for someone to fulfill a certain task.... and that's all I shall reveal. I thought it was philosophical and beautifully filmed.

Watch it for yourself if you're interested:

THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »

I also am currently watching Battle of Britain (1969). The aerial sequences are absolutely spectacular for their time and still are today, the score is brilliant, and it is enjoyable as a “historical documentary” type of film, and the cast is indeed all star, but the scenes outside of the combat sequences are deathly boring- there are practically no characters in the movie, let alone the presence of any semblance of character development. I feel like this movie may have been what Dunkirk would’ve been like to watch at home.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 04:42:43 PM »

The Sopranos is so good man.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies