The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:24:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30697 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: May 14, 2021, 03:17:54 AM »

V for Vendetta - It's an interesting watch in light of current events. There's a lot of things I like (V has a lot of great lines. Natalie Portman has majestic hair, etc.), but I just can't get over the presentation of stockholm syndrome as the cure for anxiety. S for Stockholm?

I haven't seen that in years, but looking back on it, it does romanticize domestic abuse in a certain lens, especially given that it's pretty clear the relationship between V and Evey was more than a platonic one.

But from what I remember, V's intent was to make Evey more dedicated to the cause by making her experience the conditions of prisoners living under the Norsefire regime. A pretty cruddy way of going about it, and the fact that Evey feels liberated after all of it and falls in love with the guy is... slightly disturbing. But it's still incredibly well-made and one of my favorites.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 07:36:45 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 07:51:50 AM by Scott🦋 »

1. The Green Mile (1999) (9/10) - Simply put, a masterpiece. Tom Hanks makes pretty much any movie good, but overall it's just a fantastic movie that's made me more against the death penalty, even though, to my knowledge, Old Sparky's been retired. But the dry sponge execution scene was the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in any movie. If anything, it is easier to have sympathy for the heinous killers than the correctional officers, who themselves are dressed like Nazis. (Incidentally, the actor who plays the officer responsible for the botched execution isn't such a good guy in real life either; he groomed a 16-year-old girl at one of his acting workshops, married her, and abused her. So he definitely got a good role here.)

OH, and I would be remiss to not point out the obvious Christian symbolism throughout this movie! Or at least, if Pulp Fiction is a Christian movie, then this is practically a retelling of the Gospels if they took place during the Depression.

2. Gone with the Wind (1939) (7/10) - Above-average movie, but it's way too long. And although it was made in 1939, the problematic aspects are clearly visible. The slaves are content and affable, and no one really expresses their dissent to slavery. Ashley seems to have some moral compass with regard to how slaves are treated, but he's still kind of an oddball, bragging about his marriage to his cousin. Although he does make one remark about war that stuck with me:

"Most of the miseries of the world were caused by wars. And when the wars were over, no one ever knew what they were about."

But he's not exactly a moral exemplar, and neither is Rhett for... reasons I'm not gonna spoil.

And, although it is a controversial film and quite a product of the time it was made, it did make Hattie McDaniel the first black person to win an Oscar. But it also typcast Butterfly McQueen as the black nanny figure in her subsequent work, which she retired after so many years of it.

Anyway, if you want to see a truly neutral version of the Civil War from the perspective of the South at the time, I can't recommend it enough. It's earned its place in history, warts and all. I would've rated it higher if wasn't four hours long. I had to watch it in increments.

One last thing I'll point out, which isn't too spoil-ish but definitely remarkable, is how
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:30:38 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2021, 11:37:32 AM by Scott🦋 »

Lords of Chaos (2018): 5/10

This actually came out for me several years after reading the book that it's based on of the same name: the true story of the Norwegian black metal scene, and the ensuing arsons and later murders in a race to see who could be the Most Metal™. The events are already pretty well-documented, so I'm not going to be particularly hesitant about spoilers. What I will give is my impression of the movie and how the characters and narrative are portrayed.

Still, the details are graphic enough that I should avoid pissing off the mods and just post everything as a spoiler.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies