The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:12:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 30145 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 06:46:09 PM »

Death House
Murder Party
Wilding (Netflix)
Head Count (N)
The Ritual (N)
The Witch House
The Recall

I’ve really been focused on getting my horror backlist out of the way.
Quincy Kelley
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »

Not Like Us (1995) Sci-fi movie.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »

Not a movie but I've been watching Star Trek: DS9 which is arguably the best Star Trek series.
A fellow man of culture, I see. Saw it last year and couldn't stop watching, it's truly remarkable.

Oh also if you love DS9, if you haven't seen Babylon 5 you should check it out. Five season story arc/s, great characters, fascinating concepts. The CGI is a quite a bit dated now, it was the first show to go full CGI no models. The characters and the story are amazing. At the time there was a rivalry between them which I don't get cause they a both great in their own right.

When I take a break from my thesis I'll probably rewatch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, which became my actual favorite movie a few years ago.

You probably also appreciate my profile pic on discord. Now I have the dollar trilogy (extended editions) on bluray. They had to get Clint, Eli & a voice actor (for Lee Van Cleef) to record lines for some scenes because they only had footage with the Italian audio.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »

Since I last posted here I finished watching 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' and watched 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.' T'Chenka was right, it was underwhelming. Though 'Played with Fire' was too. It makes me wonder what Fincher would have done with these two if the American versions of the films were to go on. Could he have elevated them like he did with 'Dragon Tattoo?'

I also saw 'The French Connection' for the first time. It was good but I don't really get what makes it so highly acclaimed. There was nothing really remarkable about it to me.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »

I also saw 'The French Connection' for the first time. It was good but I don't really get what makes it so highly acclaimed. There was nothing really remarkable about it to me.

To be honest, I felt much the same way about it. My dad loves it but I don't understand what sets it apart. It's somewhat unexceptional.

In other news, I rewatched Amadeus last night. There's something powerful about stories that focus on an incredible individual but do so from another person's perspective (Frankenstein, Apocalypse Now, and Fight Club all somewhat fit this mold). It makes that person's lightning-in-a-bottle genius seem all the more mysterious and unattainable. Really a fantastic film.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »

GoldenEye
Dark Waters
Ad Astra
The Post
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

Galaxy Quest is a borderline perfect movie.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:31 AM »

Erin Brockovich

Next up: Megan Leavey
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 02:24:37 AM »

I just saw Witness for the Prosecution for the second time and I still can't get over the fact that the movie ends with a narrator straight-up telling the audience not to spoil the ending for their friends. Nowadays they just give the entire plot away in the trailers.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 09:49:12 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2020, 09:58:36 PM by Meclazine »

Alright, a dose of Art House movies I have watched in the last week that will melt your mind:

The Wicker Man (1973)  is a brilliantly disturbing film for its day which would have set a lot of minds thinking.

There is a nude scene with a young Britt Ekland from Sweden that may cause your girlfriend or wife to give you a clip over the back of ear if you watch too intently.

Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) is not for the light-hearted, but the film production and tension are tremendous and extreme respectively.

I found this enthralling, but a little difficult to watch. It is loosely based on an ancient Greek mythological story.

Apostle (2018) is about a man who enters a cult isolated on an island as he attempts to find a relative.

Gretel and Hansel (2020) concerns a brother and sister evicted into a world of pestilence from their cruel stepmother.

Turned out of their home with the door slammed at their back, the pair "set out to fend for themselves with only the clothes on their hides". Their foray into the woods is partly magical and partly horrifying. “Beware of those who offer gifts,” Hansel reminds Gretel after they are are taken in by a friendly woman in black.

Loved this interpretation of 1 classic story.

Out of the four, I would watch Gretel and Hansel and The Wicker Man again. I loved the cinematography of Gretel and Hansel.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 01:26:20 AM »

Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) is not for the light-hearted, but the film production and tension are tremendous and extreme respectively.

I found this enthralling, but a little difficult to watch. It is loosely based on an ancient Greek mythological story.
This one was just too f___ed up, and I'm a person that LOVES f___ed up movies. I REALLY like Yorgos Lanthimos films, but this was sick and he probably needs therapy. His next movie after this was brilliant (The Favourite) and he only directed it with another person writing the script. Hopefully he continues this trend, or gets therapy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »

Watched The Beach Bum, written/directed by Harmony Korine and starring Matthew McConaughey.

Fairly enjoyable and funny, and has me yearning to leave the material world behind for some form of Bohemian couch surfing and maybe the tropics. Too bad I've nothing to write about. Def. gotta get a typewriter.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 06:09:04 PM »

Alright, a dose of Art House movies I have watched in the last week that will melt your mind:

The Wicker Man (1973)  is a brilliantly disturbing film for its day which would have set a lot of minds thinking.

There is a nude scene with a young Britt Ekland from Sweden that may cause your girlfriend or wife to give you a clip over the back of ear if you watch too intently.

Apostle (2018) is about a man who enters a cult isolated on an island as he attempts to find a relative.

Gretel and Hansel (2020) concerns a brother and sister evicted into a world of pestilence from their cruel stepmother.

Turned out of their home with the door slammed at their back, the pair "set out to fend for themselves with only the clothes on their hides". Their foray into the woods is partly magical and partly horrifying. “Beware of those who offer gifts,” Hansel reminds Gretel after they are are taken in by a friendly woman in black.

Loved this interpretation of 1 classic story.

Out of the four, I would watch Gretel and Hansel and The Wicker Man again. I loved the cinematography of Gretel and Hansel.

I saw all of these movies also, save for 'Gretel and Hansel,' which I want to see.

I watched 'The Wicker Man' recently as well. I love the remake in an ironic way, but the original still holds up as a classic even though I didn't necessarily find it that scary and kind of thought that the main character earned his fate.. And uh, that scene...yeah, that was quite the surprise, but if he had taken her up on that offer everything would have been fine. It was kind of frustrating. I will say that I actually enjoyed the song she sings-it's beautiful yet also haunting. I liked many of the songs in the movie actually. It was weirdly almost a musical.

I loved 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' too. And to T'Chenka, maybe this film will be more tolerable for you if you understand how it's a retelling of a Greek myth. But even with that in mind, it is still a really hard movie to watch and is just so unsettling yet also darkly comedic at times. This movie made me despise Barry Keoghan though. It was the first movie I ever saw him in and every movie I saw him in after that just made me want to see him die. I got my wish with his role in 'Dunkirk.' I legitimately applauded when he died. F***ed up, I know. But he is such a despicable little s*** in 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' and *SPOILERS* didn't get much of a comeuppance in that one. I guess it also doesn't help that he has an incredibly punchable face already.

Finally, I didn't care much for 'Apostle.' I loved how inventive they got with some of the horrifically grisly violence and the production design, but the main character and story didn't interest me. Really, it was just a retelling of 'The Wicker Man' with a less compelling and coherent conflict and mythology to me.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »

I loved 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' too. And to T'Chenka, maybe this film will be more tolerable for you if you understand how it's a retelling of a Greek myth. But even with that in mind, it is still a really hard movie to watch and is just so unsettling yet also darkly comedic at times. This movie made me despise Barry Keoghan though. It was the first movie I ever saw him in and every movie I saw him in after that just made me want to see him die. I got my wish with his role in 'Dunkirk.' I legitimately applauded when he died. F***ed up, I know. But he is such a despicable little s*** in 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' and *SPOILERS* didn't get much of a comeuppance in that one. I guess it also doesn't help that he has an incredibly punchable face already.
He was fine in Chernobyl, almost likeable.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 12:43:48 AM by Alex »

Update:

Extraction, 5/10 but I'm definitely not the best person to judge a pure action movie. Quite a few funny or cool parts, but very stupid plot and weak characterization

Angry Birds, it started out quite good but after the first 10 minutes I thought it was just meh 4.5/10

Terminator, I hadn't watched it in many years and I had vague memories of all 3 movies mixed up with bits of trivia from pop culture and YT videos. 5.5/10

Esperando la Carroza 6/10

Space Jam 2.5/10 OK concept, but I found it very full and rarely chuckled or felt any other emotion watching it and the plot is too simple to justify the movie's length, especially when compared to better animated movies

Bad Boys (1995)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »

Has anyone else here seen the German film Look Who's Back? I just saw it tonight. It's done in the style of Borat, but I think it's ultimately much more provocative and effective than anything Sacha Baron Cohen has done (though Cohen is probably funnier). I think it would work in a back-to-back viewing with The Wave-- two German films, both about fascism and its undeniable allure. They're even structured similarly, with the first two acts building up a premise that seems like satire and roping the audience in, until the third act hits home with the film's message.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »

Loved this film. Try watching it in the dark.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »

^ Dude!  Haha, I just watched this last night.  It had a flaw here and there, but the reviews really undersold it.  Quality flick.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »

Has anyone else here seen the German film Look Who's Back? I just saw it tonight. It's done in the style of Borat, but I think it's ultimately much more provocative and effective than anything Sacha Baron Cohen has done (though Cohen is probably funnier). I think it would work in a back-to-back viewing with The Wave-- two German films, both about fascism and its undeniable allure. They're even structured similarly, with the first two acts building up a premise that seems like satire and roping the audience in, until the third act hits home with the film's message.

Haven't seen the film, I had only read the novel the movie was based on.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 04:01:40 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2020, 05:27:14 AM by Donald Daddy Fetish T'Chenka »

Watching Into The Forest with Rachel Evan Wood and Ellen Page. It's keeping my interest but there's nothing special going on here. Not sure I'd recommend it, I'll have to decide at the end of the film. It makes prepper gun-owner libertarians look smart.

EDIT - Overall forgettable after the fact, but while watching it I had an alright time. Pretty good acting and a dash of nudity here and there makes it interesting. The plot is the weak point despite strong moments.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »

The First Wives Club
It's Kind of a Funny Story
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Bladerunner
Super 8
Moonstruck (could not finish)
Speed
Sister Act
Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 02:11:33 PM »

One I can strongly recommend is The Shawshank Redemption. We watched it last week and was absolutely great. It's available on Netflix. Users of the Internet Movie Database voted it as #1 best film.

Others we recently watched (I liked the first three the most):

- The Equalizer
- Escape from Alcatraz
- Olympus has fallen
- Red Dragon
- Roman J. Israel, Esq.
- Das Leben der Anderen ("The lives of the others", German film)
- F*ing Berlin (German film)
- Pearl Harbor
- The Irishman
- Basic Instinct
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 01:01:23 AM »

Saw In the Line of Fire (1993). Found it really fun, Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich are brilliant in it (Eastwood in particular is one charming bastard throughout the film).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2020, 01:36:52 AM »

Saw In the Line of Fire (1993). Found it really fun, Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich are brilliant in it (Eastwood in particular is one charming bastard throughout the film).
I like that one quite a bit. It's not an incredible film, but Eastwood and Malkovich really elevate the script.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »

The Social Network is just as good as I remember it. Sorkin's dialogue is extremely fast, and I think with a lesser director the movie might not have worked-- but David Fincher truly is a master of his craft.

- Das Leben der Anderen ("The lives of the others", German film)

One of my favorite films. F**k commies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies