Commonwealth of Frémont • 15th Parliament
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:14:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Commonwealth of Frémont • 15th Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Commonwealth of Frémont • 15th Parliament  (Read 1223 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »

Frémont Emergency Schooling Act

an act to combat the effects of the coronavirus on our public schools

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be the "Frémont Emergency Schooling Act"

Section II (Definitions)
i. A 'public school district', in the purview of this act, is a school district receiving government funding.
ii. A 'class' is defined as a semester (half year) long course.

Section III (Provisions)
i. The government of Frémont shall allocate all necessary resources to create and implement an online schooling platform in public school districts, with priority given to secondary schooling.
ii. The government of Frémont shall assist public school districts in providing students in need with Wi-Fi hotspots, and as possible, computers.
iii. All public school districts will be mandated to have at least one food distribution point for students in FRL (Free or Reduced Lunch) programs. The government of Frémont will assist in providing necessary personnel, funds, and foodstuffs as possible, prioritizing school districts serving low-income communities.
iv. All public school districts will be mandated to provide full pay to all employees through June 2020.

Section IV (Graduations)
i. The following provisions only apply to Frémont public school students graduating in 2020 who cannot access online education for a reason deemed as legitimate by their local school district.
ii. Any student with a GPA above 3.0 or no prior dropped and/or failed classes who would have attained the credits necessary for graduation during the Spring 2020 semester will be allowed to graduate high school.
iii. Any student with a GPA above 2.0 who has not failed more than three classes who would have attained the credits necessary for graduation during the Spring 2020 semester will be allowed to graduate high school if a majority of their Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 semester teachers believe that they would have passed their Spring 2020 semester classes.
iv. Any student that does not meet the above criteria, but would have attained the credits necessary for graduation during the Spring 2020 semester, will have their cases considered by their school's principal.
v. If any decisions by school officials relevant to a student's graduation were influenced negatively by any factors other than the student's academic record and conduct, the offending official will be fined a maximum of $10,000 and the affected student will be allowed to graduate from high school.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »

A RESOLUTION
to acknowledge the dark arts

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Truman Appreciation Resolution."

Section 2 (Adobe memes)
i. This chamber does hereby recognise that the First Minister, the Honourable Harry S Truman, does possess great skill at the dark arts of what our spiritual advisors have called "Ad-obe Photo-shoppery".
ii. That this chamber acknowledges we are terrified of what we don't understand, and we don't understand this Photoshoppery.
iii. That this chamber recognises that insulting a purveyor of the dark arts is probably a bad idea.
iv. That this chamber thus acknowledges the First Minister's abilities at this photoshoppery and praises it and encourages him to continue honing his skills.
v. If allowing and enabling the dark arts turns out to be a bad idea then we pre-emptively sell the story rights to Disney so they can make a musical about it (and then make an even worse live action remake of it in a decades time).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 11:09:59 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 11:20:03 PM by Oregon Blue Dog »

Frémont Higher Education Reform Act
an act to reform higher education in Frémont

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be the “Frémont Higher Education Reform Act”. This bill may be referred to as “HERA” or the “college reform bill”.

Section II (Definitions)
i. a “public university” is defined as an institution funded by public revenue responsible for post-secondary education.
ii. “FSAT” is defined as an abbreviation for “Frémont Standardized Admissions Test”.
iii. “SAT-E”, or “SAT-Equivalent”, is defined as the rough SAT score that reflects the student’s FSAT test score. When the Frémont Department of Education finishes developing the FSAT scoring system, this terminology will be phased out.
iv. a “Frémont student” is defined as an of-age student residing within the boundaries of Frémont, as defined in the Preamble of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont.
v. “academic tuition” is defined as tuition paid for instruction.
vi. “room-and-board tuition” is defined as tuition paid for food and lodging services.
vii. “local community college” is defined as the community college closest to a prospective attendee’s place of residence, or as all community colleges within 25 miles of a prospective attendee’s place of residence.

Section III (Standardized Admissions Testing in Frémont)
i. The Frémont Department of Education, in conjunction with local, state, regional, and national authorities on education, shall craft the FSAT, a scored test of knowledge to replace the ACT and SAT as an indicator of the academic abilities of a prospective college attendee.
ii. This test must contain both multiple-choice and written sections, to more holistically reflect the critical-thinking abilities of the testee. Additionally, the Frémont Department of Education will create a fair and rigorous system for grading these examinations, with a minimum of five educational professionals assessing the quality of each written section.
iii. Frémont students in high school will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a six-month period. Frémont students in community college will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a three-month period.
iv. All public secondary schools within the Commonwealth of Frémont will be required to offer the FSAT once it is avaliable at least twice an academic year. Additionally, schools and organizations outside of the Commonwealth of Frémont will be allowed to administer the FSAT on an application basis.

Section IV (Frémont Higher Education Authority)
i. All public universities in the Commonwealth of Frémont will be folded into the Frémont Higher Education Authority System.
ii. The FHEA shall be divided into the following districts:
a. The California District, consisting of the state of California.
b. The Northwest-Pacific District, consisting of the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, and all outlying territories under the jurisdiction of Frémont.
c. The Southwestern District, consisting of the states of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.
d. The Plains District, consisting of the states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Kansas.
iii. Each FHEA district will be responsible for:
a. distributing regional funding to schools in their jurisdiction,
b. redistributing faculty and reallocating dorm space to address capacity issues,
c. granting admission to eligible Frémont students,
d. purchasing or renting facilities previously owned by closed private universities, or purchasing new land to build educational facilities, as needed to address capacity issues,
e. establishing a new tenure system, with the consent of major teachers’s unions,
f. working in conjunction with local public transportation authorities to establish extensive commuter options for colleges in their jurisdiction, and
g. adjusting admissions requirements to address capacity issues.
iv. Due to outstanding political concerns, the public universities of the state of Kansas will not be integrated into the FHEA at this time.

Section V (Curriculum)
i. The FHEA will work to standardize curriculum quality across all public universities. It will do so by working with university faculty and regional education officials to:
a. align course offerings,
b. align course objectives and topics, and
c. ensure that all courses are taught at a universal high standard of quality
ii. The FHEA will aim to achieve maximum curriculum standardization by January 2025.
iii. All FHEA universities, if not already doing so, will be encouraged to offer a general “Honors Track”, a series of accelerated and/or advanced courses for general education or a specific area of study.
iv. The FHEA will establish “flagship schools”, or state universities academically renowned on the national level that would be overloaded with admissions requests due to their existing prestige, with higher admissions standards. The following schools will be considered for flagship status:
a. University of California at Berkeley
b. University of California at Los Angeles
c. University of California at Santa Barbara
d. University of California at Irvine
e. University of California at Davis
f. University of Washington
g. University of Minnesota at Twin Cities
h. Colorado School of Mines
v. After academic alignment and standardization is seen by the FHEA as complete, the need for flagship schools will be re-evaluated.

Section VI (Admissions)
i. Any Frémont student that scores over 1200 SAT-E will be offered admission to all non-flagship FHEA colleges.
ii. Any Frémont student that scores over 1300 SAT-E will be offered admission to the honors program of the FHEA college they choose to attend.
iii. Admissions requirements for “flagship schools” will be set by officials from the school in concern and district FHEA officials, based on school capacity and demand. However, these requirements may not exceed 1400 SAT-E.
iv. Requirements for individual schools may be subjected to change based on school capacity and demand. However, all such changes must be carefully vetted by the FHEA, and requirements may not exceed those enumerated in this bill by 50 SAT-E points.
v. Any Frémont student not meeting these requirements will be admitted to their local community college. If they can maintain a GPA above 3.25, they will be able to transfer to a FHEA college of their choice after two years, provided that they retake the FSAT and score above the admissions threshold for their desired college. .

Section VII (Reinstatement of Tuition)
i. Students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will not be charged academic tuition.
ii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged five cents of yearly academic tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
iii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000, $10,000 in yearly academic tuition will be charged.
iv. Students commuting to the FHEA school geographically closest to them will be granted a yearly waiver for public transportation costs.
v. Students attending a school in-state, but not commuting, will be charged $2,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vi. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will be charged $3,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vii.  Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged three and a half cents of yearly room-and-board tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
viii. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000 will be charged $10,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
Yes, we're actually gonna do it.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 12:18:27 AM »

AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 2 (Electoral calendar for state and local elections)
i. The terms of the state (or territorial) and municipal governments now sitting shall end on 29 June 2020, and the terms of their successors then begin.
ii. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of three months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
iii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given to proceed.
(a) Elections for the state (or territorial) and municipal governments to assume office on 29 June 2020, in accordance with the provisions of §2(i) of this Act, shall proceed on 27 June 2020.
(b) Thereafter, regular elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall proceed in March, June, September, and December.
iv. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Amendment to the Universal Suffrage Act)
i. §4(ii) of the Universal Suffrage Act is amended to read as follows:
No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 12:23:06 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 01:16:35 AM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to reform voting in state and municipal elections

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Local Democracy Act." It may be cited as the "LDA."

Section 2 (Proportional representation in local elections)
i. All elections for state (or territorial) and municipal office shall be by Single Transferable Vote.

Section 3 (Implementation)
i. This Act shall take effect 1 June 2020.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 08:27:24 AM »

AN ACT
to encourage the free dissemination of information in the workplace

Section 1 (Title & definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Salary Disclosure Act."
ii. As it appears in this legislation, "wage discrimination" refers to discrepancies in wages paid to persons performing the same work on the basis of race, sex, sexuality, or nation of origin.

Section 2 (Mandatory disclosure)
i. All hiring employers must disclose the highest and lowest salary paid for a position in any job posting, as well as the salary paid to the previous occupant of the position, where applicable.
ii. All employers of more than ten employees must publish annually and deliver, by post or e-mail, to their employees, a report of all persons employed by their company, the date of their hiring, and the salary paid to each.
iii. All employers of fewer than ten employees must publish biannually and deliver, by post or e-mail, to their employees, a report of all persons employed by their company, the date of their hiring, and the salary paid to each.
iv. In the report aforementioned, employers must inform employees of their right to file a wage discrimination complaint with the Ministry of Labor, and in such disclosure direct them to the web page and telephone number of the Ministry where such a complaint may be entered.
v. Employees and members of the public shall have access to all reports filed by any employer in the last twenty years through the Ministry of Labor; and in the report aforementioned, employers must inform employees of how they may access these reports.

Section 3 (Investigation)
i. The Ministry of Labor shall have right to receive a copy of the report mandated by §2(ii) or §2(iii) of this Act.
ii. The Ministry of Labor shall have power to investigate cases of alleged wage discrimination according to their analysis of a report or reports filed by an employer, or in response to a complaint filed by an employee.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2020, 07:08:53 PM by Interim Speaker Oregon Blue Dog »

AN ACT
to aid amputee victims

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Right to Bear Arms Act"

Section II (Recognitions)
ii. The Commonwealth of Frémont recognizes the right of all human residents to bear arms, legs, hands, feet, toes, fingers, and limbs in general, whether natural or artificial.

Section III (Implementation)
iii. The government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall fund in full all elective procedures for the purpose of replacing lost limbs (arms, legs, hands, feet, toes, and fingers), including the purchase and installment of prosthetic limbs and other relevant treatment.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 07:45:37 PM »

Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and nominate myself for Speaker.

Is there a time limit on this?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:51 PM »

Given the circumstances, I second the nomination and move that Oregon Blue Dog be elected speaker by acclamation. Members have 24 hours to object.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »

Hearing no objection, the motion is agreed to. Congratulations to the new speaker!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »

A RESOLUTION
to correct a wrong

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Save our Sonics Resolution".

Section II (Provisions)
i. This body hereby recognizes that the 2008 move of the National Basketball Association (NBA) team known as the "Seattle Supersonics" to Oklahoma City was a terrible error, and that Seattle, as a premier population and economic center in the Commonwealth of Frémont and Atlasia as a whole, is deserving of an NBA franchise.
ii. This body hereby calls upon NBA Commissioner Adam Silver to grant the city of Seattle an expansion franchise by the 2022-2023 NBA season, and offers to negotiate a settlement between the NBA and the City of Seattle as to potential accomodations for this new team.
Here's another fluff proposal to close out the session.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies