SB 23-17: End of Affirmative Action in Atlasia Act (At Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:32:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 23-17: End of Affirmative Action in Atlasia Act (At Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 23-17: End of Affirmative Action in Atlasia Act (At Final Vote)  (Read 3004 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: April 25, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »

As a citizen, I would urge the Senate to vote this down. Affirmative action is a regional issue, but also getting rid of it will prevent opportunities for many minority students to have a fair shot in college admissions, there is still an inherent racism present in college admissions, and affirmative action is our most potent tool to fight that racism.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »

Also, just a PSA for uninformed lefties, this bill is actually a very neutered version of lfromnj's initial proposal. At this point it's basically a $10 billion grant to the education system.

I. Any Publicly funded college or university in Atlasia is hereby banned from using race, or gender as a factor in admissions in any form after 2030., this line is the issue, changing it from "a factor" to "the only factor" or just striking this clause entirely is the best solution. This clause is the main issue with this bill.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »

Also, just a PSA for uninformed lefties, this bill is actually a very neutered version of lfromnj's initial proposal. At this point it's basically a $10 billion grant to the education system.

I. Any Publicly funded college or university in Atlasia is hereby banned from using race, or gender as a factor in admissions in any form after 2030., this line is the issue, changing it from "a factor" to "the only factor" or just striking this clause entirely is the best solution. This clause is the main issue with this bill.
Actually I retract my initial comment partially - I thought the House version used the "only factor" language. That said, I oppose this change. As I mentioned earlier, race should not be a factor in college admissions - income and personal background as factors will do more than enough to compensate for 'systemic discrimination' if any.

That was the Blair Amendment, I believe, and I think it was defeated, iirc. Either way, this bill won't pass with its current language, people who support it should propose an amendment striking Clause 1.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »

It shouldn't be a factor, especially since it doesn't really affect anything today. There are other factors that actually affect one's education that should be addressed. Race isn't one of them.

This bill isn't passing as written, if you want to save some of it, I'd recommend striking Clause 1.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »

It shouldn't be a factor, especially since it doesn't really affect anything today. There are other factors that actually affect one's education that should be addressed. Race isn't one of them.

This bill isn't passing as written, if you want to save some of it, I'd recommend striking Clause 1.
That's like ordering a meatless steak at a restaurant. There's little point passing this bill without Clause 1, even in its diminished form.

Well there is the education funding, etc., but simply put, the bill isn't passing as written. So, it's up to this bill's supporters if they want to salvage the other clauses or not. Also regarding meatless steak, the choice here is meatless steak (aka substitute/lab steak) or its no steak-related products at all.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »

There are many issues with this bill and it is irresponsible for the Senator to move forward with it without addressing the issues that have been voiced in this thread. For starters, maybe Clause 1 should be struck, just maybe...
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »

It's a real shame that today the Senate voted to restrict the ability of children of underprivileged backgrounds to have a fair shot at life.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies