A Different America: 1948 Presidential election General election thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:11:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different America: 1948 Presidential election General election thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Different America: 1948 Presidential election General election thread  (Read 1262 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: April 25, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »
« edited: April 26, 2020, 05:57:26 PM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1948

Suffice it to say that if Earl Warren wasn't winning Vermont by a landslide than there wasn't much of chance for him to win anywhere. But fortunately that wasn't the case. Will Angler was quite enthusiastic about the nomination of the California Governor. He was a liberal, he was sensible, and he was the right man for the job. Everybody knew that Will Angler was behind Warren, and made sure to put a variety of Warren signage across his property. At the Local Stowe and Burlington Republican Clubs he gave speeches for Warren and pushed annoyed conservative Republicans on side.

However, Angler's main objective was getting reelected as Representative for Lamoille-1. His reelection was quite likely but he vigorously campaigned. He met with voters, he held town halls, and he gave speeches. He pushed for public desegregation, for health standards for workers in dangerous jobs, for farm supports, and for sensible good government free from corruption or dysfunction of party machines.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:38:36 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2020, 05:57:13 PM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1948-1950

On election night Will held a small party for friends at his home near Stowe. However most would have left when it became clear that Earl Warren had won the presidency. Will Angler was ecstatic, finally a liberal Republican was in the saddle! He imagined all the things that could be done, an interstate highway system, more spending on defense, more jobs, higher wages, cleaner politics! He read in the local paper the next morning that he had won an easy reelection, though this did not surprise him.

He humbly declined a position as whip of the Republican caucus in the State House, careful not to show too much ambition. He took up position as Chair of the Appropriations committee, where he quickly became relevant in state politics. He developed a fierce, bloodhound like way of finding waste and fraudulent spending in appropriations bills and rooting them out. From his position as chair he became a symbol for fiscal restraint and responsibility at the Golden Dome. This of course would make him some enemies in the Dome, but that was something he was prepared to do. The local press loved it, and he made sure to post monthly how much in taxpayer money he'd saved. But it wasn't just fiscal responsibility, but he became a passionate advocate for farmers, and promoted every effort to the support of the state's farmers. He followed path of the President on many other issues, he pushed for investment into community colleges, state public works project to capitalize on wartime surpluses with an emphasis on employing veterans like himself, and pushed for desegregation of public facilities in every vote. He was all the while a staunch support of the President.

Going into 1950 William Angler was once again up for reelection, which he pursued with gusto. Once again he campaigned across his district, and he was always very clear on messaging. He always made sure through his friendship with local press that the taxpayer savings he got through were published, his speeches on his other values published too, and he even got on local radio. He was a tireless campaigner, trying to reach voters by every metric he could. It would distract from his legislative work in the latter half go 1950, but on that front he'd certainly made his mark too.

(I will write a second part for this once I know if I am reelected)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »

Note: Everything here is pre approved and so on

Will Angler 1950-1952

Will Angler won reelection in the Vermont state house, now on to his third term in the chamber. His opponent was a local Democratic townsperson, whom he defeat handily by a 70-30 margin. Angler returned to his position as Chair of the Appropriations Committee where he continued his rapport with the press on saving taxpayer dollars and investing them responsibly as opposed towards corrupt or self serving enterprises. He would cultivate this reputation as a responsible leader, an advocate of responsible liberalism not just with the local papers, but at the local Republican clubs. He made connections, met with higher ups, and of course had many meetings with fellow liberal Republican Governor Ernest W. Gibson Jr. to whom he became friends with. From his perch at the committee Angler was quickly making connections with the state party. He quickly became a common face at state GOP leadership meetings, and he made every available effort to get a meeting with President Warren who he greatly admired. Warren, a man who won both Democratic and Republican primaries in his state. Truly a bridge builder, both figuratively and literally.

Going into 1952 Angler made sure the party gears were moving quickly so Warren could cruise to another landslide, but he focused primarily on his new campaign. For the Lamoille County Seat in the Vermont Senate. Angler mobilized his supports in the local GOP and campaign vigorously as he always had. He utilized his connections to the press, to local farmers, and to the Governor to win election to Vermont's upper legislative body.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »

OOC : Also, I have an infobox and iirc, that'd help you increase your points and stuff, so if I need to PM it to you, I'll send it to you Jason as it's in my Wikipedia Sandbox.

Yea just PM it to me and you'll get your points

Alright, just sent. Also, do you think you can clear up a few of the questions we had since we were essentially clueless starting out today.

Seconding this message.

thirded

I’ve been told a FAQ is coming
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 09:52:46 PM »

Y E S
Pages: [1]