COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 265948 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: April 21, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »

This is part of the reason why Sweden is not going on total lockdown. Hard lockdown just means it will come right back. Once Denmark and Norway come out of their hard lockdowns, they will start looking like Sweden. Until a vaccine is ready for widespread use, this is unavoidable.

But as usual, the English-language media will continue to bash Sweden as an insane, reckless, suicidal country.

Speaking with a honest discussion, is our current goal to flatten the curve or to stop the virus?
I wish the governments were more honest with us, It may be possible to get the virus almost completely eliminated but then it will just pop back up.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 11:18:26 PM by lfromnj »

I'm absolutely livid about the meat processing plants bring forced back open. What protections will there be for the workers? Smithfield in Sioux Falls was already a major hotspot. Most people aren't willing to work meat processing plants, which is why many employee illegal immigrants as well. How are these places going to be staffed? There was no forethought or any real consideration put into this decision. Ugh.

Meat packing plants are actually the valid argument to that people would work those dirty jobs for a higher wage because that is what people did from the 1950s to the 1980s. Increased supply of labor both illegal and legal crashed the average wages of meatpacking jobs, Im not arguing against immigration for this reason as this also had the effect of keeping meat cheap for millions of Americans. This is a freeer market which is a good thing but  its absurd to deny higher wages wouldn't encourage other Americans to work these jobs.

https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/docs/publications/bls/bls_1677_1970.pdf

source: Meatpacking wages used to pay like $3.30 in 1970 or about 18 dollars per hour.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:30:29 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 11:35:08 PM by lfromnj »

I'm absolutely livid about the meat processing plants bring forced back open. What protections will there be for the workers? Smithfield in Sioux Falls was already a major hotspot. Most people aren't willing to work meat processing plants, which is why many employee illegal immigrants as well. How are these places going to be staffed? There was no forethought or any real consideration put into this decision. Ugh.

Meat packing plants are actually the valid argument to that people would work those dirty jobs for a higher wage because that is what people did from the 1950s to the 1980s. Increased supply of labor both illegal and legal crashed the average wages of meatpacking jobs, Im not arguing against immigration for this reason as this also had the effect of keeping meat cheap for millions of Americans. This is a freeer market which is a good thing but  its absurd to deny higher wages wouldn't encourage other Americans to work these jobs.

I'm not sure this (bolded claim) is true in 2020 the same way it was true in 1960. The work in a meat packing plant hasn't gotten that much less physical demanding (whereas most other manual labor has, meaning packing jobs are relatively less attractive) and there are several cases where after ICE raids plant operators tried to fill in their open positions with domestic labor with poor retention. E.g., in Postville Iowa they trucked in unemployed people from Texas all the way to Ohio after a 2008 raid and most of them quit within four months; this was in the middle of the Recession when there weren't that many other places for these people to find work so it's not likely they quit because they found better pay elsewhere.

I will concede that it will be true in a current scenario that a firm literally can't afford to pay more at an individual plant because that would mean a rise in the sale cost (these plants in general have very low margins IIRC) so therefore if they raise wages and prices every other plant that still hires illegals/immigrants will still keep nearly the same price for their wholesale products . Anyway I find it absurd to demand higher wages for these immigrants such as more system checks and higher minimum wage instead of just at that point discourage immigration and let Americans work it. However keeping cheap labor is good for tens of millions of Americans overall as their meat is now much cheaper. If we go to the point of encouraging higher wages at these plants while still having a labor supply overflow it merely just causes higher meat prices and greater unemployment.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2020, 11:00:18 AM by lfromnj »

I'm not sure this (bolded claim) is true in 2020 the same way it was true in 1960. The work in a meat packing plant hasn't gotten that much less physical demanding (whereas most other manual labor has, meaning packing jobs are relatively less attractive) and there are several cases where after ICE raids plant operators tried to fill in their open positions with domestic labor with poor retention. E.g., in Postville Iowa they trucked in unemployed people from Texas all the way to Ohio after a 2008 raid and most of them quit within four months; this was in the middle of the Recession when there weren't that many other places for these people to find work so it's not likely they quit because they found better pay elsewhere.

I will concede that it will be true in a current scenario that a firm literally can't afford to pay more at an individual plant because that would mean a rise in the sale cost (these plants in general have very low margins IIRC) so therefore if they raise wages and prices every other plant that still hires illegals/immigrants will still keep nearly the same price for their wholesale products . Anyway I find it absurd to demand higher wages for these immigrants such as more system checks and higher minimum wage instead of just at that point discourage immigration and let Americans work it. However keeping cheap labor is good for tens of millions of Americans overall as their meat is now much cheaper. If we go to the point of encouraging higher wages at these plants while still having a labor supply overflow it merely just causes higher meat prices and greater unemployment.

My point was a little bit larger than applying to a single firm elevating wages and facing disadvantage in a competitive market, but this really isn't my specialty so I'm not going to push the point too far.

We might not be looking at or responding to the same things but most of the outrage I am seeing about this (which I agree with) is at the lack of mandatory workplace protections and the liability waivers associated with the act. Obviously having a functioning food supply chain is essential work and invoking the DPA is warranted here but it's insane and inhumane to expect workers to work under these conditions, not have any requirements being put in place to keep them safe, and having the employers shielded from liability which also reduces the likelihood of meaningful safety improvements (which are obviously needed given the outbreaks we're seeing) implemented. Seems to me like getting some sort of mandatory OSHA safety rules is higher priority than higher wages. This is especially scary in areas without enforcement of distancing which let infected plant employees infect others in the community.
.I just mostly went off topic on OP's line that its impossible for Americans to work meatpacking jobs when they literally did a quarter century ago.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:09:05 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2020, 02:44:03 PM by lfromnj »

Looking at the CDC demographic breakdown of covid deaths makes me think the difference in death rate by gender has actually been significantly undercovered.

It would appear that men are at least twice as likely to die from the virus as women, once we adjust for age.

Men account for about 56% of covid deaths overall.  But the only reason that the gender breakdown is that close is that the death rate is so high among those 80 years or older, and there are far more women who are 80+ than men.

Among people under 65, men account for 70% of US covid deaths.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/03/feminism-womens-rights-coronavirus-covid19/608302/
Don't worry the real gender gap is being covered and the real victims are being covered!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/15/856293764/french-drug-giant-sanofi-takes-heat-after-suggesting-u-s-may-get-1st-vaccine-acc
Great news for the US
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

lol
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-health-website-deletes-cuomos-order-on-nursing-homes
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »

these bullsh**t health experts.
Del Tachi was 100% in calling our their absolute fakeness.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »

The rapid, V-shape recovery is here.  Hard to see unemployment above 8% by November (which is what it was in 2012).

I doubt it recovers that quickly, especially since the report says unemployment would be at 16% but 3% were misclassified. Also, 2012 saw the economy recovering in Obama's term vs 2020 where the economy got worse under Trump. Not comparable. 

If Trump can tout +1M new jobs every month until November, it's going to be a net electoral benefit to him.  This is the scenario Obama and other top Democrats are the most concerned about. 

They're not new jobs though. You can't go from 3% unemployment to 16% unemployment in a month and then gloat about the proceeding recovery the next month.

Btw whats the other Western country employment numbers? I would say that is the best metric to compare too.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »

And no one can even call him out and his supporters besides forumlurker.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 04:42:10 PM »

You all laughed at Del Tachi saying that scientists could have personal or political motivations.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »

Nope as long as tens of thousands of people are protesting in the streets, anyone has the right to go to church.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:31:51 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 11:36:57 AM by lfromnj »

Good job

We had a few extreme wingnuts in the GOP and most other Americans atleast partially complying.
Now we have a large group of disaffected people feeling shunned by the elite woke mob who tells them nothing is worth besides their own issues.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/06/27/latest-on-covid19-in-mn

Look

Source from the article

Anyway looks like at least in MN that its more young people getting the cases.
And of course the article doesn't even the theory that protests could have caused part of this shift.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 05:56:44 PM »

No can we have a day on this thread without addiction for genocide?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »

What to make of this? To stem the worsening pandemic, the California Department of Public Health has temporarily banned singing and chanting in places of worship: https://krdo.com/news/national-world/2020/07/03/with-a-worsening-pandemic-california-bans-singing-in-places-of-worship/. Is this an overreach of government? Or is this an appropriate public health measure? What are we to say about it?
Considering they allowed the protests to occur without any hesitation, I feel it’s very hypocritical of CA to ban chanting in places of worship. Still, I get the logic and am not necessarily against it.
However any court should strike down further restrictions by California as it is choosing speeches they like.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say there would be a vaccine "very soon" back in, like, February?

It's like repeatedly predicting a solar eclipse will happen soon.  Eventually it will be correct if you keep it up long enough.

I mean solar eclipses can be predicted for basically all eternity with the exact date and time.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 02:49:10 AM »

Anyone can easily get or make a cloth mask

A face shield or goggles are different.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies