COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 262140 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4925 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »

I think the case numbers in the U.S. will slowly improve, but a lot of people just don't think about it much anymore. I've been to family events all over the Cincinnati area in recent weeks. I've noticed family members' neighbors have just been gathering like normal. The only thing different out there is that people will often put on a mask when they go to a store, but even that doesn't have full compliance.

A family member told me this virus will be pretty much gone by spring - either because of a vaccine or some level of herd immunity.

There's still people who are afraid to go out, but a lot of people still go on like normal, and the virus still hasn't been spreading that much around here. I don't think a second lockdown would be viewed very favorably.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4926 on: July 31, 2020, 10:40:30 AM »

I think the case numbers in the U.S. will slowly improve, but a lot of people just don't think about it much anymore. I've been to family events all over the Cincinnati area in recent weeks. I've noticed family members' neighbors have just been gathering like normal. The only thing different out there is that people will often put on a mask when they go to a store, but even that doesn't have full compliance.

A family member told me this virus will be pretty much gone by spring - either because of a vaccine or some level of herd immunity.

There's still people who are afraid to go out, but a lot of people still go on like normal, and the virus still hasn't been spreading that much around here. I don't think a second lockdown would be viewed very favorably.

Disruption only disrupts for so long; people are resilient and move on.  In the absence of any plan other than "lockdown indefinitely", the trend will be towards resuming normality.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4927 on: July 31, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »

Disruption only disrupts for so long; people are resilient and move on.  In the absence of any plan other than "lockdown indefinitely", the trend will be towards resuming normality.
You are correct.
Americans are so spoiled as a people, they can’t go a few weeks without “normality”.
Imagine if we have a zombie apocalypse or a War, we would fail.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4928 on: July 31, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »

You are correct.
Americans are so spoiled as a people, they can’t go a few weeks without “normality”.

People still went to church or had funerals during World War II, kids went to school, and bars/movie theaters/concerts were open. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4929 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:52 AM »

You are correct.

People still went to church or had funerals during World War II. 
Fine, then put on a god damn mask and social distance.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4930 on: July 31, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

You are correct.

People still went to church or had funerals during World War II. 
Fine, then put on a god damn mask and social distance.

Well unfortunately, that's not what Governor Cuomo and other Democrats have been ordering; Federal courts have found that their orders have unfairly targeted religious gatherings.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4931 on: July 31, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »

Most of the country isn't in a outbreak hotspot. However, in the few areas that are in the Sunbelt, people are still being more cautious.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4932 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4933 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but I wanted to provide a link to Dr. Fauci's comments the other day about the potential benefits of donning eye protection (i.e. goggles, the like) to help limit the spread of coronavirus: https://abcnews.go.com/US/dr-fauci-wear-goggles-eye-shields-prevent-spread/story?id=72059055?id=72059055&amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&cid=referral_taboola_feed. At my stepmother's job, they've been requiring employees to wear both masks and face shields for about a week or so now. Now that our medical experts are starting to recommend it, I wonder if this will become a more widespread practice.

Bumping this forward because I want to see if any others on here have an opinion about this. Will wearing face shields or eye goggles become mandatory? It seems like some other businesses are starting to require their employees to wear them as well. What is the opinion on here of this?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4934 on: July 31, 2020, 03:28:57 PM »

There could have been a plan, but Trump and Republicans were too incompetent to use the time provided by lockdown to put one in place.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #4935 on: July 31, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but I wanted to provide a link to Dr. Fauci's comments the other day about the potential benefits of donning eye protection (i.e. goggles, the like) to help limit the spread of coronavirus: https://abcnews.go.com/US/dr-fauci-wear-goggles-eye-shields-prevent-spread/story?id=72059055?id=72059055&amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&cid=referral_taboola_feed. At my stepmother's job, they've been requiring employees to wear both masks and face shields for about a week or so now. Now that our medical experts are starting to recommend it, I wonder if this will become a more widespread practice.

Bumping this forward because I want to see if any others on here have an opinion about this. Will wearing face shields or eye goggles become mandatory? It seems like some other businesses are starting to require their employees to wear them as well. What is the opinion on here of this?

I doubt it, just because of the arguments mask compliance is causing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4936 on: July 31, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »

It's pretty clear our schools are going to have to be online only for a while.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4937 on: July 31, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »

I guess in a sense Trump managed to build a wall around America.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4938 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »

Trump bankrupted The United States of America Passport.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4939 on: July 31, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/31 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

7/19: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,896,855 (+63,584 | ΔW Change: ↑8.97% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,269 (+392 | ΔW Change: ↑3.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)

7/20: <M>
  • Cases: 3,961,429 (+64,574 | ΔW Change: ↓1.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,834 (+565 | ΔW Change: ↑21.51% | Σ Increase: ↑0.39%)

7/21: <T>
  • Cases: 4,028,569 (+67,140 | ΔW Change: ↑2.36% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)
  • Deaths: 144,953 (+1,119 | ΔW Change: ↑24.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.78%)

7/22: <W>
  • Cases: 4,100,875 (+72,306 | ΔW Change: ↑0.89% | Σ Increase: ↑1.79%)
  • Deaths: 146,183 (+1,230 | ΔW Change: ↑23.37% | Σ Increase: ↑0.85%)

7/23: <Þ>
  • Cases: 4,169,991 (+69,116 | ΔW Change: ↓11.70% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)
  • Deaths: 147,333 (+1,150 | ΔW Change: ↑17.59% | Σ Increase: ↑0.79%)

7/24: <F>
  • Cases: 4,248,327 (+78,336 | ΔW Change: ↑4.47% | Σ Increase: ↑1.88%)
  • Deaths: 148,490 (+1,157 | ΔW Change: ↑22.30% | Σ Increase: ↑0.79%)

7/25: <S>
  • Cases: 4,315,678 (+67,351 | ΔW Change: ↑6.47% | Σ Increase: ↑1.59%)
  • Deaths: 149,395 (+905 | ΔW Change: ↑11.32% | Σ Increase: ↑0.61%)

7/26: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 4,371,839 (+56,151 | ΔW Change: ↓11.24% | Σ Increase: ↑1.30%)
  • Deaths: 149,849 (+454 | ΔW Change: ↑15.82% | Σ Increase: ↑0.30%)

7/27: <M>
  • Cases: 4,433,392 (+61,553 | ΔW Change: ↓4.68% | Σ Increase: ↑1.41%)
  • Deaths: 150,444 (+595 | ΔW Change: ↑5.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.40%)

7/28: <T>
  • Cases: 4,498,343 (+64,951 | ΔW Change: ↓3.26% | Σ Increase: ↑1.47%)
  • Deaths: 152,320 (+1,876 | ΔW Change: ↑67.65% | Σ Increase: ↑1.25%)

7/29: <W>
  • Cases: 4,568,037 (+69,694 | ΔW Change: ↓3.61% | Σ Increase: ↑1.55%)
  • Deaths: 153,840 (+1,520 | ΔW Change: ↑23.58% | Σ Increase: ↑1.00%)

7/30 (Yesterday): <Þ>
  • Cases: 4,634,985 (+66,948 | ΔW Change: ↓3.14% | Σ Increase: ↑1.47%)
  • Deaths: 155,285 (+1,445 | ΔW Change: ↑25.65% | Σ Increase: ↑0.94%)

7/31 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 4,705,889 (+70,904 | ΔW Change: ↓9.49% | Σ Increase: ↑1.53%)
  • Deaths: 156,747 (+1,462 | ΔW Change: ↑26.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.94%)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4940 on: July 31, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4941 on: August 01, 2020, 12:49:13 AM »

Everything is fine.

You know what the most depressing thing about this is? Every state that is rated green or yellow is a state that already had an extremely severe outbreak and death count or is extremely rural.

No state with a significant population center has been remotely successful at containing this.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4942 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:23 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 03:30:16 AM by Meclazine »

......has been remotely successful at containing this.

Maybe it's just too hard given the average punter not wanting to look at their lounge room wall for more than 6 weeks.

Australian has the same problem now. We have an outbreak in Victoria, and it shares the same trend.

It's basically too hard to stop biological agents like this one. It's like a rapidly spreading flu.

Western Australia has minimal cases until, we have a super-spreader who puts it into the community, and then we will turn dark red like every other state on your map.

The problem with vaccines for such a virus is that they may only be effective in 60% of cases.

Australia has a good one on the way:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-01/sa-potential-coronavirus-vaccine-passes-first-phase/12514988

Let's hope it works.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4943 on: August 01, 2020, 02:49:10 AM »

Anyone can easily get or make a cloth mask

A face shield or goggles are different.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4944 on: August 01, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 07:17:08 AM by Calthrina950 »

Everything is fine.

You know what the most depressing thing about this is? Every state that is rated green or yellow is a state that already had an extremely severe outbreak and death count or is extremely rural.

No state with a significant population center has been remotely successful at containing this.

And there is very little distinction, on this map, between states with a Democratic or a Republican Governor (Vermont, one of only three states where the situation is trending in a "positive" direction, has a Republican Governor in Phil Scott). Colorado, for example, is rated among the states where the situation is worsening, and it has worsened considerably over the past month. It's been two weeks now since Polis made masks mandatory here, and it doesn't seem to be having an effect as of yet. So we'll have to see what happens going forward.

But what this map tells us is that this country has failed in containing the virus, and at this point, we may all have to go through a "New York" situation before we can possibly start on the record of recovery. And that will mean hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of more cases and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of more deaths between now and November.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4945 on: August 01, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »

This is only peripherally related, but it's interesting:

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4946 on: August 01, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »

How many places in the U.S. have started having festivals again? About a month ago, I read that a festival in Pennsylvania went on like normal. A week ago, we had what was supposedly a small festival here, but nobody showed up. Riverfest is a festival in Cincinnati that takes place each Labor Day weekend, but that's already been canceled.

As of now, the Kentucky State Fair will still be taking place in late August.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4947 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »

How many places in the U.S. have started having festivals again? About a month ago, I read that a festival in Pennsylvania went on like normal. A week ago, we had what was supposedly a small festival here, but nobody showed up. Riverfest is a festival in Cincinnati that takes place each Labor Day weekend, but that's already been canceled.

As of now, the Kentucky State Fair will still be taking place in late August.

here in TN we have. i'm so happy about it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4948 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »

Sad

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4949 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »

From the article linked in the tweet above:

Because he had been at a hearing on Tuesday with Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, who tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday, "out of precaution, Grijalva went into self-isolation on Wednesday until he got a test," Nolan said.

In a statement Saturday, Grijalva slammed Republicans who don't wear masks in the building, citing the events of the week.

"While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously," he said. "Numerous Republican members routinely strut around the Capitol without a mask to selfishly make a political statement at the expense of their colleagues, staff, and their families."
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies