COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 272173 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: May 19, 2020, 11:10:56 PM »

Partial spoof of Eleanor Rigby, referring to some of the people that I saw at a Wal*Mart today:

Must be a moron! Wearing no mask when we're having a plague!

You might just die!

Children without masks! They might get sick just by being with you!

That is no lie!

All the stupid people -- where do they all come from!
All the stupid people -- where DO  they all come from!

Oh, look at all the stupid people!

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2426 on: May 19, 2020, 11:39:33 PM »

A true emergency:' Covid-19 pushes homeless crisis in San Francisco's Tenderloin to the brink
The Tenderloin has long been a refuge for some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable, displaying a vicious cycle of homelessness, addiction and mental illness in the heart of the city. But the pandemic – and the city’s homeless policies during the pandemic – helped create a perfect storm within the neighborhood’s 35 blocks. In order to be able to enforce social distancing guidelines, San Francisco’s overcrowded homeless shelters drastically reduced their capacity. The city made hotel rooms available to homeless people, but only those who had tested positive for the virus or ranked among the most vulnerable. Many unhoused people suddenly had no other choice but to take to the streets, some fortunate enough with tents and others making do with what they could find. Amid a lack of testing, it’s unclear how widespread the virus is in the neighborhood, among the housed and unhoused.

“I really don’t know what to do,” said Roger Moussa, 51, who has been sleeping on the streets since his shelter bed reservation ran out a month ago. “I feel completely helpless. I have nowhere to go, and every other night I get robbed.”

Tents have sprung up throughout San Francisco’s 49 sq miles since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, but in the Tenderloin, the number of tents had exploded by 285% – 268 tents total. Neighborhood residents believe this to be an undercount, with some tallying 432 tents as of last week.
How has no one coined Trumpvilles yet?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2427 on: May 19, 2020, 11:41:09 PM »

Lol children don’t get sick from this but nice try
This is the most classless disgusting post I've seen in a while. For some reason you've been in my good books recently, but WOW.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2428 on: May 19, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »

Partial spoof of Eleanor Rigby, referring to some of the people that I saw at a Wal*Mart today:

You might just die!

That is no lie!

Ma’am........
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2429 on: May 19, 2020, 11:46:07 PM »

Just gonna re-post this (in a shortened version).one time only, seeing where the thread is at now:

Petition to use one of these song references as the next thread title:

Please Like this post if you want a mod to use one of these.

LADY GAGA - BAD ROMANCE
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I Want Your COVID, I Want Your Disease

ADELE - SKYFALL
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Hold Your Breath And Count To 10

DUA LIPA - NEW RULES
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I Got New Rules I Follow

ANNA NALICK - BREATHE (2AM)
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Breathe, Just Breathe

ARIANA GRANDE - BREATHIN'
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Keep On Breathin' And Breathin' And Breathin'
COVID-19 Megathread 6: How Do I Know This Shink's Fabricated?

BRITNEY SPEARS - TOXIC
COVID-19 Megathread 6: It's Dangerous, I'm Fallin'
COVID-19 Megathread 6: It's In The Air And It's All Around

ELTON JOHN - I'M STILL STANDING
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I'm Still Standing (Better Than I Ever Did)
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I'm Still Standing (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah)

THE POLICE - DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Don't Stand So Close To Me

PHIL COLLINS - IN THE AIR TONIGHT
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I Can Feel It Coming In The Air Tonight
COVID-19 Megathread 6: It's All Been A Pack Of Lies

FLEETWOOD MAC - LITTLE LIES
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
COVID-19 Megathread 6: No More Broken Hearts, We're Better Off Apart

DEPECHE MODE - CLEAN
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Clean, The Cleanest I've Been

GREEN DAY - (American Idiot album, multiple songs)
COVID-19 Megathread 6: It's Only Me And I Walk Alone
COVID-19 Megathread 6: I Walk Alone, I Walk Alone
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Wake Me Up When September Ends
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Don't Wanna Be An American Idiot
COVID-19 Megathread 6: A Nation Under The New Mania
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Welcome To A New Kind Of Tension
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Sing Along To The Age Of Paranoia

SEETHER - BROKEN
COVID-19 Megathread 6: The Worst Is Over Now And We Can Breathe Again

EMINEM - MONSTER
COVID-19 Megathread 6: You're Tryin' To Save Me, Stop Holdin' Your Breath
COVID-19 Megathread 6: "Stop Holdin' Your Breath", And You Think I'm Crazy?

LINKIN PARK - PAPERCUT
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Your Paranoia's Probably Worse
COVID-19 Megathread 6: Paranoia's All I Got Left
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2430 on: May 20, 2020, 12:05:32 AM »

This is the most classless disgusting post I've seen in a while. For some reason you've been in my good books recently, but WOW.
It's an objective fact, pretty much all children are asymptomatic when infected with the virus.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2431 on: May 20, 2020, 12:08:23 AM »

It's an objective fact, pretty much all children are asymptomatic when infected with the virus.

Children being asymptomatic doesn't mean children can't spread the virus, which is what the masks are meant to prevent.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2432 on: May 20, 2020, 12:18:18 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 12:23:47 AM by Forumlurker »

I mean he is technically correct. It does completely miss the point, but it is not necessarily that far off on a factual level.
You are mostly correct.
Most children recorded have mild/no symptoms and the discrepancies between number of adults infected vs children suggests a high rate of asymptomatic disease. However, it has been documented recently that weeks after developing Covid-19, a child can suffer a severe complication (likely a result of immune response) that resembles Kawasaki disease. It’s rare but severe if this happens. Then there’s the whole “children can still spread it” thing which is just slightly worrisome for any vulnerable person.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2433 on: May 20, 2020, 12:18:58 AM »

A true emergency:' Covid-19 pushes homeless crisis in San Francisco's Tenderloin to the brink
The Tenderloin has long been a refuge for some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable, displaying a vicious cycle of homelessness, addiction and mental illness in the heart of the city. But the pandemic – and the city’s homeless policies during the pandemic – helped create a perfect storm within the neighborhood’s 35 blocks. In order to be able to enforce social distancing guidelines, San Francisco’s overcrowded homeless shelters drastically reduced their capacity. The city made hotel rooms available to homeless people, but only those who had tested positive for the virus or ranked among the most vulnerable. Many unhoused people suddenly had no other choice but to take to the streets, some fortunate enough with tents and others making do with what they could find. Amid a lack of testing, it’s unclear how widespread the virus is in the neighborhood, among the housed and unhoused.

“I really don’t know what to do,” said Roger Moussa, 51, who has been sleeping on the streets since his shelter bed reservation ran out a month ago. “I feel completely helpless. I have nowhere to go, and every other night I get robbed.”

Tents have sprung up throughout San Francisco’s 49 sq miles since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, but in the Tenderloin, the number of tents had exploded by 285% – 268 tents total. Neighborhood residents believe this to be an undercount, with some tallying 432 tents as of last week.
How has no one coined Trumpvilles yet?
The new Trump hotels.
(Although the homeless problem is from way before Trump in SF)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2434 on: May 20, 2020, 12:29:04 AM »

https://intermountainhealthcare.org/blogs/topics/live-well/2020/03/covid-19-and-children-what-you-should-know/

What are the symptoms of COVID-19 in children?

Many children have few or no symptoms. Symptoms include fever, runny nose, and dry cough, and occasionally, diarrhea. In a few children, this has progressed to shortness of breath. Some of those with progressive symptoms have developed pneumonia. A very small number have required intensive care.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2435 on: May 20, 2020, 12:34:36 AM »

I still think it is reasonable to say that covid is at most approximately the same threat to children as chicken pox prior to the development of a vaccine.  About 50 children died each year from chicken pox (death rate around 1 in 60,000), and several thousand were hospitalized.  But it was still seen as important to expose your child to the disease early because it was much more lethal in adults.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2436 on: May 20, 2020, 12:46:05 AM »

I still think it is reasonable to say that covid is at most approximately the same threat to children as chicken pox prior to the development of a vaccine.  About 50 children died each year from chicken pox (death rate around 1 in 60,000), and several thousand were hospitalized.  But it was still seen as important to expose your child to the disease early because it was much more lethal in adults.

But this is a respiratory virus and something you can catch even if you're far enough away, making this a terrible idea in this case.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2437 on: May 20, 2020, 01:30:23 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 02:01:17 AM by Meclazine »

Children being asymptomatic doesn't mean children can't spread the virus, which is what the masks are meant to prevent.

The rate of transmission from children has been dramatically low; to both other children and adults.

There was one report where one country had no confirmed spread from child to adult.

So not only are they not receiving the virons effectively onto respiratory cells, they are not transmitting them back into the air as effectively as adults.

In other news, a woman in Australia has tested positive for the 3rd time in 68 days:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/coronavirus-mirabai-covid19-three-positive-tests-fatigue/12260660

That is a very interesting development in terms of how prolonged and sustained the virus has become.

This points towards the Corona-virus becoming endemic.

Will have to ask PQG whether prolonged infection in the immuno-supressed members of the population makes this difficult to get rid of, because this is above my pay grade.

Perhaps it is simply a case of someone who cannot develop antibodies. I don't know.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2438 on: May 20, 2020, 06:41:28 AM »

You might just die!

That is no lie!

When you feel the need to post something like this, try walking away from the keyboard for a while.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2439 on: May 20, 2020, 07:55:16 AM »

States accused of fudging or bungling COVID-19 testing data
Public health officials in some states are accused of bungling coronavirus infection statistics or even using a little sleight of hand to deliberately make things look better than they are.

The risk is that politicians, business owners and ordinary Americans who are making decisions about lockdowns, reopenings and other day-to-day matters could be left with the impression that the virus is under more control than it actually is.

In Virginia, Texas and Vermont, for example, officials said they have been combining the results of viral tests, which show an active infection, with antibody tests, which show a past infection. Public health experts say that can make for impressive-looking testing totals but does not give a true picture of how the virus is spreading.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2440 on: May 20, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »

Good work Alabama! /s

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2441 on: May 20, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »

Good work Alabama! /s

FWIW, the weather in Alabama has been quite warm this month.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2442 on: May 20, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »

U. of Cambridge scraps face-to-face lectures for entire 2020-21 academic year.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2443 on: May 20, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »

Talk about unnecessary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2444 on: May 20, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

I don't understand such a gesture either, especially since the past few months have revealed the flaws to an entirely online approach. Many colleges and universities will not be able to survive if they stay online for the next academic year. Students are not willing to fork over thousands of dollars in tuition for such classes. But at the same time, it's going to be hard to implement social distancing safeguards for such campuses. There has to be a solution that addresses both issues.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2445 on: May 20, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »

I don't understand such a gesture either, especially since the past few months have revealed the flaws to an entirely online approach. Many colleges and universities will not be able to survive if they stay online for the next academic year. Students are not willing to fork over thousands of dollars in tuition for such classes. But at the same time, it's going to be hard to implement social distancing safeguards for such campuses. There has to be a solution that addresses both issues.

Cambridge is one of the few universities that has the name brand to not worry terribly about students transferring in the wake of online classes. I think a lot of private universities in the US (especially ones not in the top 20 or so schools) may struggle in the next year if they were to go to all-online, or be forced too
Fargobison

« Reply #2446 on: May 20, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »

Notre Dame has probably the best plan that I have seen from a university, they are going to open a few weeks early, got rid of any breaks and will end their first semester before Thanksgiving. That would also minimize some of the overlap with normal flu season.

https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to-begin-fall-semester-on-campus-the-week-of-aug-10/
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2447 on: May 20, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »

Honestly, I think the fact that so many universities can move many of their programs online so easily speaks to the fact that they're seriously overcharging in the first place.

I understand that lab courses can't be replicated online, but if, ultimately, there is little difference between the in-class and online deliveries of, say, a history course... how can we justify paying $6000 a year for what essentially amounts to "being talked at." This was a problem I had before COVID.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2448 on: May 20, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »

Perhaps large-scale lectures should be eliminated entirely.

If there are 100 students, what possibility of interaction is there?

The greater risk is likely in living and dining quarters especially in dorms.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2449 on: May 20, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

Honestly, I think the fact that so many universities can move many of their programs online so easily speaks to the fact that they're seriously overcharging in the first place.

I understand that lab courses can't be replicated online, but if, ultimately, there is little difference between the in-class and online deliveries of, say, a history course... how can we justify paying $6000 a year for what essentially amounts to "being talked at." This was a problem I had before COVID.

I certainly agree that universities are overcharging, and I think that there is a role for the expansion of online education. Students should be given a greater variety of options to choose from, and tuition attached to online classes should be lower. However, as you know, many students prioritize the "social life" of campus, if you will, and the services which it offers, above even their classes. After a while, enrollment numbers will drop, if they feel that they aren't going to get the "full college" experience.

Cambridge is one of the few universities that has the name brand to not worry terribly about students transferring in the wake of online classes. I think a lot of private universities in the US (especially ones not in the top 20 or so schools) may struggle in the next year if they were to go to all-online, or be forced too

This is very important. Larger universities-not just Cambridge, but Ivy League schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Stanford, etc.-have the cushion that they need to get through this crisis. The smaller colleges, however, do not. And in many of the communities in which they are located, colleges are major generators of economic activity. So we'll see what happens. I know that here in Colorado, the intent right now is for in-person instruction to resume in the fall.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies