COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:39:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266542 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: May 17, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »

5/17 (Today): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,526,842 (+21,809 | Δ Change: ↑2.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.44%)
  • Deaths: 90,973 (+1,462 | Δ Change: ↑41.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.45%)

What's up with these numbers, Sunday is usually the lowest day for deaths.

Deaths are always lagging, so they could be just catching up still. The case increase is not too much, basically flat.

What website do you use?

Worldometer. I update my posts at 6-8 PM CST every day, after states finish reporting.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2326 on: May 17, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »

5/17 (Today): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,526,842 (+21,809 | Δ Change: ↑2.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.44%)
  • Deaths: 90,973 (+1,462 | Δ Change: ↑41.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.45%)

What's up with these numbers, Sunday is usually the lowest day for deaths.

Deaths are always lagging, so they could be just catching up still. The case increase is not too much, basically flat.

Yeah but typically coroners' offices are closed on Sundays. This was true during the peaking in April.

Is there a state that did a dump today? I didn't see state-by-state numbers before they wiped the numbers so I didn't get to check for anything out of the ordinary.

Also I see Worldometer only reporting ~860 new deaths on the 17th.

They're counting the start and end times for each day differently, it seems. Whatever they didn't count today was added to their totals for yesterday.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2327 on: May 17, 2020, 10:12:59 PM »

That second image looks like something out of '28 Days/Weeks Later.'

I'm rewatching them on my June vacation. I'm still keeping hope we'll get 28 Months Later, someday!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2328 on: May 18, 2020, 07:26:57 AM »

So, it seems like a certainty that there will be more than 100 thousand deaths by the end of the month.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2329 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »

Very positive results from this trial of Moderna's vaccine::

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/health/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna.html

This vaccine is zooming through trials and may be ready for widespread use very soon.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2330 on: May 18, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »

This vaccine is zooming through trials and may be ready for widespread use very soon.

"Very soon" in this case being late this year or early next year (which is probably the best-case scenario for any vaccine).  From the article:

If those trials go well, a vaccine could become available for widespread use by the end of this year or early 2021, Dr. Tal Zaks, Moderna’s chief medical officer, said in an interview. How many doses might be ready is not clear, but Dr. Zaks said, “We’re doing our best to make it as many millions as possible.”
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2331 on: May 18, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »

"Very soon" in this case being late this year or early next year (which is probably the best-case scenario for any vaccine).  From the article:

If those trials go well, a vaccine could become available for widespread use by the end of this year or early 2021, Dr. Tal Zaks, Moderna’s chief medical officer, said in an interview. How many doses might be ready is not clear, but Dr. Zaks said, “We’re doing our best to make it as many millions as possible.”

I saw other articles earlier this morning that said they may be able to expedite it further.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2332 on: May 18, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »

I saw other articles earlier this morning that said they may be able to expedite it further.

You might be thinking of the Oxford vaccine. That one could be ready for mass use by September.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2333 on: May 18, 2020, 08:46:12 AM »

The pre-election number Trump's team reportedly fears the most is the COVID-19 'body count'

FDA suspends Gates-backed at-home COVID-19 testing program
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2334 on: May 18, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »

4 U.S. Code § 8. Respect for flag
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2335 on: May 18, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2020, 10:45:28 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

To be fair (at least back home where I grew up in Texas), pretty much everybody and their mother violates flag code to some extent or another -- at least with regards to wearing the flag as part of clothing, embroidering the flag on "cushions or handkerchiefs and the like", etc. etc.  And every NFL team apparently violates flag code with the decal on the back of the helmet.   
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2336 on: May 18, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »

Do you complain during the olympics about US teams violating flag code, since most have the flag/parts of the flag on their athletic uniform?

Do you complain about the presence of the American flag on our military combat uniforms?

Do you complain about every business that has ever used the American flag in their advertisements?

Do you complain at every store that has American flags on their disposable plates/napkins/decor around the 4th of July?

It's probably safe to say the answer is no to all of the above.

Knowing this, you have absolutely no room to use that argument in this particular situation.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2337 on: May 18, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »

It should be obvious that including the flag on U.S. military uniforms is not a violation of the flag code.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2338 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »

It should be obvious that including the flag on U.S. military uniforms is not a violation of the flag code.

I'm well aware of what the full flag code is and that military uniforms are not in violation, however this was mostly addressing the garbage, cherry picked argument Ghost of Ruin is making.

If he doesn't complain about every instance in which this is violated, he has no business complaining in this one.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2339 on: May 18, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »

...Are you people seriously arguing about flags on clothing on the Covid thread while nearly a 100,000 people have died from this pandemic in the US alone?
Let’s get our priorities straight and ignore these diversions.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2340 on: May 18, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »

I'm well aware of what the full flag code is and that military uniforms are not in violation, however this was mostly addressing the garbage, cherry picked argument Ghost of Ruin is making.

If he doesn't complain about every instance in which this is violated, he has no business complaining in this one.

Outside of tennis matches when I'm tryin'a get some rays, I've mostly stopped wearing my American flag bro tank altogether out of respect for the Code.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2341 on: May 18, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »

Lmao reopening is exactly what this country should be doing. The states that reopened are no worse off than the states stuck in lockdown and the lockdown is ruining the economy everywhere. But muh 80 year olds I guess
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2342 on: May 18, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »

I'd happily blow my nose and cough on the American Flag. While they aren't legally binding, the Flag Code regs are dumb and its amusing to see the feigned "patriotism" of flag fetishization by a lefty.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2343 on: May 18, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

2nd day in a row with no additional deaths in 🇦🇹 Austria 🇦🇹 ...
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2344 on: May 18, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »

All of this is the greatest self sabotage of all time - after 9/11, forever wars, and the Great Recession we were on target for immense peace and prosperity. And then society decided to lose its sh**t and react irrationally and irresponsibly. It’s important to remember, all of the response (reaction) was a choice.

Warning of the Fermi Paradox, as well....
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2345 on: May 18, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »

...Are you people seriously arguing about flags on clothing on the Covid thread while nearly a 100,000 people have died from this pandemic in the US alone?
Let’s get our priorities straight and ignore these diversions.

I started a thread over in Political Debate for further discussion of flags and such:
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=374148.0

I put my response on that topic there to keep from derailing things further.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2346 on: May 18, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »

Today, New York hit a new low in new reported cases (1,250) since March 18, a new low in new deaths (110) since March 16, and a new low in the positives rate (4.8%) since, as far as I can tell, March 2 (the last day no new positive cases were reported in NY at all). Overall an excellent result and a sign of continued progress here.

Also, while New York has continued to show a weekly cycle in reported tests (consistently lower on Mondays and Tuesdays than other days of the week), the number of tests reported today was by far the highest number of tests reported on a Monday, comparable to the non-Monday/Tuesday daily testing at the end of April, and the dropping and record low positives rate gives further confidence that that the new low in cases is meaningful and not a result of a drop in tests.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2347 on: May 18, 2020, 12:32:00 PM »

Lmao reopening is exactly what this country should be doing. The states that reopened are no worse off than the states stuck in lockdown and the lockdown is ruining the economy everywhere. But muh 80 year olds I guess

True, but then again, most of the states, at least the big ones, that are reopening are in the south where heat is prevalent.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2348 on: May 18, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »

Most states have barely done large scale openings and a couple states like Texas have seen recent spikes I believe.

It’s also not just 80 year old grandma’s dying that we need to be concerned about. There’s evidence this causes lung damage even in cases that have no symptoms.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2349 on: May 18, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies