COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 270546 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2050 on: May 13, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »

It's time.

Two months is enough.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2051 on: May 13, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »

The lockdown was supposed to end after the U.S. peaked. Most areas peaked one to five weeks ago. Glad there is some bipartisan agreement. 👍
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2052 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2020, 07:04:21 PM by Arch »

An abrupt reopening is the exact recipe for disaster. Good grief. Have fun with your "economy," then. Most sensible people aren't looking to run out like buffoons as if nothing is happening.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2053 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »

Looking at the responses to the WI supreme Court decision on Twitter really has me thinking. The left is so out of touch these days, it is unbelievable.  They are appealing to emotions and flat out accusing conservatives of murder without thinking of the true consequences of keeping these lockdowns in place. The death models overestimated this, which is good, and we need to open up, badly, ASAP. The economic toll this will have for the next decade is already immense. The authoritarian precedent this sets is also really bad. But you look at which party is advocating for what and maybe you start to see who is for freedom and who is for tyranny.

Well.  How about a compromise?

Counties in blue open up right away.  Counties in red don't.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2054 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »

To follow up on something I posted a while back: several weeks ago, a colleague of mine was admitted to the hospital due to an extremely high fever.  This happened three weeks after I'd spent four days sitting next to him in a small conference room, for some extended meetings during the last week our office was open. 

He subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 and was in the hospital for about 1.5 weeks,  then recovered at home for another two weeks.  He's now back on the job (from home, as we all are).  Nobody else in the meetings we were in has gotten sick.  Contact tracing has determined that he apparently caught the virus from his college-student daughter, who brought it back from Spring Break in Florida.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2055 on: May 13, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »

Looking at the responses to the WI supreme Court decision on Twitter really has me thinking. The left is so out of touch these days, it is unbelievable.  They are appealing to emotions and flat out accusing conservatives of murder without thinking of the true consequences of keeping these lockdowns in place. The death models overestimated this, which is good, and we need to open up, badly, ASAP. The economic toll this will have for the next decade is already immense. The authoritarian precedent this sets is also really bad. But you look at which party is advocating for what and maybe you start to see who is for freedom and who is for tyranny.

Yes, really, because Twitter is representative of the population at large. 🙄
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #2056 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »

The lockdown was supposed to end after the U.S. peaked. Most areas peaked one to five weeks ago. Glad there is some bipartisan agreement. 👍

of the 10 states whose data are available on worldometers only the Louisiana has peaked
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2057 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »

No, I agree with you there. Most Democrats are not insane. The people who feel a need to share their opinion on Twitter usually have an agenda. It just feels really gross that Americans are advocating against their freedoms. Did their grandparents really fight for this?  
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2058 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »

Well.  How about a compromise?

Counties in blue open up right away.  Counties in red don't.

Pretty sure a fair number of those blue counties don't want to open, either.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2059 on: May 13, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »

New York is way up on testing compared to yesterday (but the positive rate is down). Of course, New York has had a cyclical pattern since mid-April of having anomalously few tests reported on Mondays and Tuesdays compared to every other day of the week, but today is still in line with other non-Monday/Tuesday days in terms of number of tests.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2060 on: May 13, 2020, 07:15:38 PM »

No, I agree with you there. Most Democrats are not insane. The people who feel a need to share their opinion on Twitter usually have an agenda. It just feels really gross that Americans are advocating against their freedoms. Did their grandparents really fight for this?  

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2061 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »

The lockdown was suppose to end once cases had dropped substantially, not merely peaked to the point where it is clear it’s successfully been contained and the risk of infection is at least somewhat low, we increase testing capacity to know the full extent of the virus, and our healthcare system could absorb a spike without triggering an instant lockdown. We’ve met the third, very slowly showing progress on the second, but not completely convinced outside of like Montana the first has been met anywhere yet. With that said, it shouldn’t be too much longer either. We’ve been 2-3 weeks behind in progression of this virus compared to Europe and they’re reopening now. I also think the fears of a second wave are overblown, though we’ll likely see some flare ups, we should have the testing needed to contain it.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2062 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »

My grandfather fought the Japs and my uncle fought the 'Namese.  Neither of them fought for my right to be stupid and infect other people and put my immunocompromised mother in danger, though.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2063 on: May 13, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »

of the 10 states whose data are available on worldometers only the Louisiana has peaked

Testing surges are a thing. Case positive percentage is the only acceptable metric.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2064 on: May 13, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »

Gov. Pritzker: Please build the wall already
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2065 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »

Testing surges are a thing. Case positive percentage is the only acceptable metric.

Both (and for that matter all) metrics have their flaws.

If 10K tests are done and 10% are positive, that means there are 1K cases. Is that necessarily better than 20K tests and a 7.5% positive rate? We’ll never really know.

Deaths seems like a better metric to use but not everywhere is counting nursing home deaths, making comparing data more difficult.

ICU and hospitalizations from the virus seems to be the least noisy metric to follow on a day to day basis but not everywhere keeps track of them.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2066 on: May 13, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »

Freedom to die for the profits of your ultra-wealthy owners and their henchmen.

It is useful to watch how the right didn't blink at doing whatever was necessary to keep the market and big business propped up, but they draw the line and get angry at the prospect of doing the same for small business and the general public. (Not that the Democrats are perfect - our whole nation is dominated by the interests of a hyper-wealthy elite. But at least Democrats don't openly call for sacrificing our fellow citizens to Mammon.)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2067 on: May 13, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »

A few days ago, I found the "LockdownSkepticism" group on Reddit. It's proof that people across the political spectrum can get along for a common cause. The rank-and-file right is learning that we don't have horns and cloven hooves like their leaders told them we did. We've all got each other's backs in fighting this.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2068 on: May 13, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »

Minnesota is letting their stay-at-home order expire. I think Rhode Island already did.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2069 on: May 13, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »

Milwaukee will stay closed as well.

DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2070 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »

A few days ago, I found the "LockdownSkepticism" group on Reddit. It's proof that people across the political spectrum can get along for a common cause. The rank-and-file right is learning that we don't have horns and cloven hooves like their leaders told them we did. We've all got each other's backs in fighting this.

Thank you, this is an awesome find.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2071 on: May 13, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »

I'm glad that you found a place where your ignorance can be validated.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2072 on: May 13, 2020, 08:56:24 PM »

Did you actually look at the group?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2073 on: May 13, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »

Did you actually look at the group?

Yep! Here's one of their little nuggets of 'wisdom' and "empirical" analyses:

"These kinds of phrases [Safer at Home] remind me of how abusers do something cruel and then say softly 'it's only because I care about you' or 'it's for your own good.' It's a combination of dominance, boundary violation, control and then gaslighting added on top to put you into a state of confusion so it's harder for you to challenge it/protect your boundaries/say no/leave etc."

There's a bunch more where that came from. I stand by my original statement. Good grief.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2074 on: May 13, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »

I looked at it. I hate reddit. The layout of the site is horrible.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies