COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:28:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266341 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: May 05, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »

Let's continue to listen to those protesters.

It's not surprising to see this, but what will most Americans think once we hit 25% or even 30% unemployment, and the economy has completely crashed? When we have breadlines in every city, mass foreclosures across the country, mass bankruptcies, and millions of jobs permanently lost? At some point, people will have to make a choice between their financial well-being and their fears for their health, and that is an impossible choice for many.

It's a sad day when people pick the economy over their health or other peoples health.

But for many people, the economy and their personal health are inseparable. As you very well know, many people only have insurance coverage because of their jobs. And of course, many others have no insurance coverage at all, even with a job. Depriving them of that would put them further into the hole. Do you think it is morally just for someone to be unemployed and to be reduced to begging at a food bank for sustenance, and to hope that they won't be evicted? All for the sake of a months-long lockdown that will not bring a cure to this virus, and by itself will cause more disruption and more harm? I don't think so.

That's a flaw in the healthcare system (a feature, I guess, for right wingers). Has nothing to do with the impact of coronavirus and everything to do with decades of failure of US leadership.

I certainly am not trying to argue that our healthcare system is "perfect" or "flawless"-it is far from that. What I am trying to say is that there is a point where the stay-at-home orders become unsustainable for millions of Americans. And Governors across the country have begun to recognize that.

"Governors", or "a few Republican Governors"?

Democrat Ralph Northam is letting us reopen restaurants and barbers next week ... announced earlier than Republican Larry Hogan.

With Northam's announcement, there's no way Hogan and Bowser won't also start reopening soon just because of how closely linked Northern Virginia is with Maryland and DC.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1601 on: May 05, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »

Mandatory masks aren't touted by "the left", they're touted by people who take facts into consideration. There's a reason why countries like Taiwan and South Korea have been so much more effective in their response than this country has.

Perhaps I should have praised it differently. From a political perspective, it has been Democratic officials-predominantly governors and mayors-who have imposed the vast majority of the mandatory mask orders which have been issued within the states. Republican officials have-with the exceptions of Baker and Hogan-largely refrained from doing so. Moreover, polls have shown that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to wear masks or facial coverings in public-I noted an ABC News poll from a few weeks ago to that effect, indicating that 69% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans are wearing them in public. Democrats have also been more likely-as I've also noted-to consider them a necessary measure to combat the pandemic (which I agree with, but not to the extent of mandating it), while Republicans have viewed them as an instrument of control.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1602 on: May 05, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »

Mandatory masks aren't touted by "the left", they're touted by people who take facts into consideration. There's a reason why countries like Taiwan and South Korea have been so much more effective in their response than this country has.

Perhaps I should have praised it differently. From a political perspective, it has been Democratic officials-predominantly governors and mayors-who have imposed the vast majority of the mandatory mask orders which have been issued within the states. Republican officials have-with the exceptions of Baker and Hogan-largely refrained from doing so. Moreover, polls have shown that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to wear masks or facial coverings in public-I noted an ABC News poll from a few weeks ago to that effect, indicating that 69% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans are wearing them in public. Democrats have also been more likely-as I've also noted-to consider them a necessary measure to combat the pandemic (which I agree with, but not to the extent of mandating it), while Republicans have viewed them as an instrument of control.

Yeah, you can pretty much tell when a Republican walks into a grocery store because everyone else is wearing a mask.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #1603 on: May 05, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »

People need to chill out damn. Many in this thread are acting like the dead has risen and are attacking the living.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1604 on: May 05, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »

Hahahaha!!!

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1605 on: May 05, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

It's not surprising to see this, but what will most Americans think once we hit 25% or even 30% unemployment, and the economy has completely crashed? When we have breadlines in every city, mass foreclosures across the country, mass bankruptcies, and millions of jobs permanently lost? At some point, people will have to make a choice between their financial well-being and their fears for their health, and that is an impossible choice for many.

It's a sad day when people pick the economy over their health or other peoples health.

But for many people, the economy and their personal health are inseparable. As you very well know, many people only have insurance coverage because of their jobs. And of course, many others have no insurance coverage at all, even with a job. Depriving them of that would put them further into the hole. Do you think it is morally just for someone to be unemployed and to be reduced to begging at a food bank for sustenance, and to hope that they won't be evicted? All for the sake of a months-long lockdown that will not bring a cure to this virus, and by itself will cause more disruption and more harm? I don't think so.

That's a flaw in the healthcare system (a feature, I guess, for right wingers). Has nothing to do with the impact of coronavirus and everything to do with decades of failure of US leadership.

I certainly am not trying to argue that our healthcare system is "perfect" or "flawless"-it is far from that. What I am trying to say is that there is a point where the stay-at-home orders become unsustainable for millions of Americans. And Governors across the country have begun to recognize that.
I agree, we do need to actually lift the lockdowns soon. There is obviously a point of economic damage which will hurt more people than if the virus infects 70% of the population and hospitals are overloaded. As much as it pains me to say it.
The problem is, we have decided to barely enforce these lockdowns. IMHO, a strictly enforced three week lockdown (with more restrictions) is infinitely better for everyone than months of a pseudo lockdown. The problem is, by trying to appease the loonies of this country, most governors have honestly made things worse. I think states that aren’t seeing dramatic new case reductions (alongside testing increases) should do something like this and then reopen. We can’t afford half-measures, they are making things worse.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1606 on: May 05, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »

I agree, we do need to actually lift the lockdowns soon. There is obviously a point of economic damage which will hurt more people than if the virus infects 70% of the population and hospitals are overloaded. As much as it pains me to say it.
The problem is, we have decided to barely enforce these lockdowns. IMHO, a strictly enforced three week lockdown (with more restrictions) is infinitely better for everyone than months of a pseudo lockdown. The problem is, by trying to appease the loonies of this country, most governors have honestly made things worse. I think states that aren’t seeing dramatic new case reductions (alongside testing increases) should do something like this and then reopen. We can’t afford half-measures, they are making things worse.

Don't blame the governors for the lack of a coordinated, cohesive national response
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1607 on: May 05, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »

Don't blame the governors for the lack of a coordinated, cohesive national response
I do blame the governors.
I also blame Trump, FOX News, and the awful modern American culture.
The governors should have been willing to more strictly enforce lockdown measures within their respective states, and it is partially their fault for not doing so.
That being said, I understand why many simply couldn’t due to Agent Orange pitting States against eachother in a f*****d up Hunger Games for ventilators and because America is a nation of self-righteous, spoiled egomaniacs (not everyone, but way too many) who will protest if their hair looks bad.
The governors did screw up, and they deserve some blame, that doesn’t mean I excuse the “presidency” we have today and the faults of the American people.
We had the most resources, the most time, and the most knowledge, and we still failed.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1608 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:41 PM »

Hahahaha!!!

They felt the need to make a response lmao:

Ah yes, it was an "audio glitch".
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1609 on: May 05, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

Mission Creep has happened here.

The initial goal of lockdowns and social distancing was to curve. Hospitals have not been overwhelmed. The goal was not to stop the pandemic, but that’s the unrealistic goal that has now been set. With life comes risky and death from Coronavirus is exceedingly small.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1610 on: May 05, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »

GOT MY STIMULUS CHECK.

And surely, surely there’s another check coming? How has this not happened yet?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1611 on: May 05, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »

Wisconsin has a plan to reopen, but it requires very specific metrics to be met, and since those metrics aren't being met, we won't be reopening yet. I don't understand why other states are not implementing the same sort of thing. In addition, it will be a stepped reopening, once we do meet criteria, not everything all at once.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/prepare.htm
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1612 on: May 05, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1613 on: May 05, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »

Moreover, polls have shown that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to wear masks or facial coverings in public-I noted an ABC News poll from a few weeks ago to that effect, indicating that 69% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans are wearing them in public.

I'm just not seeing this. People around here generally don't wear them, especially outdoors. It tends to be more left-wing types who don't wear them around here, maybe because it's just not always realistic, or because they're careful enough not to get right up in people's faces to begin with.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1614 on: May 05, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1615 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »

Moreover, polls have shown that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to wear masks or facial coverings in public-I noted an ABC News poll from a few weeks ago to that effect, indicating that 69% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans are wearing them in public.

I'm just not seeing this. People around here generally don't wear them, especially outdoors. It tends to be more left-wing types who don't wear them around here, maybe because it's just not always realistic, or because they're careful enough not to get right up in people's faces to begin with.

It was a poll evaluating the national American population. Obviously, specific regions are going to see varying levels of compliance-especially pertinent if such region is under a mandatory mask order. The same is true here in Colorado. Polis only issued a mask advisory, not a mandate, for the general public, and here in El Paso County, most people are donning masks voluntarily (aside from essential employees). There's only a handful of businesses around here, to my knowledge, that have made them mandatory. However, in other parts of the state (i.e. Denver, Boulder, Larimer Counties), mask-wearing has been made mandatory for all residents in public spaces and essential businesses, and hence, is probably close to universal in those areas.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1616 on: May 05, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »

If the task force is disbanded, I don't think we'll ever be free of this pandemic. Not until we have a vaccine, which might never happen; we've never created a vaccine for a coronavirus.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1617 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »

If the task force is disbanded, I don't think we'll ever be free of this pandemic. Not until we have a vaccine, which might never happen; we've never created a vaccine for a coronavirus.

We would have to learn to live with it, although I think it's impractical to expect social distancing, masks, and all the rest to continue indefinitely. Our society eventually acclimatized itself to HIV/AIDS, to give an example of what the path forward might look like if there is no vaccine.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1618 on: May 05, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »

We would have to learn to live with it, although I think it's impractical to expect social distancing, masks, and all the rest to continue indefinitely. Our society eventually acclimatized itself to HIV/AIDS, to give an example of what the path forward might look like if there is no vaccine.

HIV/AIDS is much easier to prevent transmission of. If this coronavirus is truly with us forever, we're looking at an eventual herd immunity scenario as the only realistic ending. Of course that probably means 1-2 million deaths.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1619 on: May 05, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »

Well, social distancing is already fraying. But I really think we need a Wuhan-style lockdown until there's a vaccine.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1620 on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »

Well, social distancing is already fraying. But I really think we need a Wuhan-style lockdown until there's a vaccine.
That’s insane, even for me.
A Wuhan style lockdown until a vaccine would devastate society.
We need a Wuhan style lockdown for at most, three weeks to allow the virus to diminish to the point we can isolate and contain pockets while allowing Americans elsewhere to work (with proper social distancing and masks)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1621 on: May 05, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »

Yeah, you can pretty much tell when a Republican walks into a grocery store because everyone else is wearing a mask.

Lol. I had no idea there were so many black Republicans in my town.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1622 on: May 05, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »

That’s insane, even for me.
A Wuhan style lockdown until a vaccine would devastate society.
We need a Wuhan style lockdown for at most, three weeks to allow the virus to diminish to the point we can isolate and contain pockets while allowing Americans elsewhere to work (with proper social distancing and masks)

Honestly, we should have done that in late March. The lockdown needed to be quick and extreme to burn out the virus. Instead, we went with a slow, halfway lockdown that slowed the spread but didn't stop it and just let people get more frustrated at the lack of answers. Now it'll be much harder to get people to go along with a short-term hard lockdown.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1623 on: May 05, 2020, 05:17:28 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1624 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »

I accidentally left my mask at home when I went to the supermarket. Sunday night....Sad
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies