COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:23:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266454 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »

Tucker Carlson talks about Sweden and the WHO.

He said they were the only Western country not to place people in lockdown:

https://www.facebook.com/TuckerCarlsonTonight/videos/255471012495949/

Tucker is a little bit hysterical, but the interesting part is that Sweden might become a model for what Phase 2 and 3 relaxations look like.

Though that would require people not to act hysterically and to take social distancing seriously. The behaviour of the Sweden fans actually makes a Swedish-style relaxation less likely to be effective.

Sweden is an important data point for us because the post-lockdown America that is starting to form (especially in the South and Plains) is looking broadly similar to the Swedish model.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1426 on: May 03, 2020, 09:30:14 AM »

Global backlash against China

China is getting its Vietnam/Iraq backlash from public opinions.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1427 on: May 03, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »

Over the last week, Google searches for "Reopen" and "Stay at home" have been almost identical (Stay at home had a massive edge a few weeks ago).  One cool feature is that it lets you break it down by state.

Strongest States for Reopen:
Arkansas- 87%
Oklahoma- 83%
New Jersey- 77%
New York- 76%
Connecticut- 73%
Nebraska- 73%
Utah- 71%
Kentucky- 70%
Tennessee- 69%
Iowa- 69%

Strongest States for Stay at home:
Indiana- 81%
Minnesota- 81%
Michigan- 81%
New Hampshire- 80%
Kansas- 78%
Washington- 78%
Maine- 76%
Illinois- 75%
Missouri- 68%
Wisconsin- 66%

Full map:

If you're curious, Reopen (in blue) would win this "Electoral College" 282-256, despite losing the popular vote 52.6%-47.4%.  The closest state was California, which rounded to 50-50.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1428 on: May 03, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1429 on: May 03, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »

https://twitter.com/fravel/status/1256930890229460992

Yes. Australians are super-pissed as well. We maybe suffering the least in terms of cases and deaths, but we are all locked down exactly the same.

It would be good if we learn some lessons after this.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1430 on: May 03, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »

https://twitter.com/fravel/status/1256930890229460992

Yes. Australians are super-pissed as well. We maybe suffering the least in terms of cases and deaths, but we are all locked down exactly the same.

It would be good if we learn some lessons after this.

Many governments should authorize the creation of independent investigation commissions to discover what went wrong. It should begin at the first days of a Biden Administration, also in France, Spain, Italy, the UK and other countries.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1431 on: May 03, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

^ And we wonder why the US has been the worst hit by this pandemic.  Roll Eyes  Funny how a constitution written in the 18th century doesn't seem to jive with a virus spreading during the 21st.

Americans: "Give me liberty or give me death!"
Coronovirus: *shrug* "Ok."

Ah, but you're missing the detail that makes this so quintessentially modern American. The odds of death any specific individual who is not at high risk are pretty low. So it's really more like,

Republicans: "Give me liberty and kill someone else!"
JRP1994

« Reply #1432 on: May 03, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »

I'm sure this has been posted already, but Donald Trump is the best thing that could've possibly happened to George W Bush's legacy. Just having someone show basic human compassion is incredibly refreshing.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1433 on: May 03, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2020, 10:19:16 AM by Koharu »

I'm sure this has been posted already, but Donald Trump is the best thing that could've possibly happened to George W Bush's legacy. Just having someone show basic human compassion is incredibly refreshing.

A person can be a good human being and a stinky president at the same time.

I think overall GWB is a decent human being, and he tended to show real empathy for people, so this kind of message isn't out of character or all that surprising.

It is, however, silly to imply that his being a decent human being somehow forgives his political obliviousness to the stupidity of tax cuts and starting a war without any way to pay for it and all the other political mistakes he made.

Also, GWB is backing up the messaging of the White House here, calling it an "invisible enemy" and framing this as a war. Not a fan of that rhetorical choice at all. The rest is exactly what a president should be saying, so I appreciate that.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1434 on: May 03, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »

I just saw a model that predicts 350,000 dead in the US alone by the end of June.

I lost hope I didn't even know I had.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1435 on: May 03, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »

I just saw a model that predicts 350,000 dead in the US alone by the end of June.

That would require approximately 4900 deaths a day for the next 58 days, which is very unlikely to happen.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1436 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:55 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/495865-oxford-professor-possible-coronavirus-vaccine-could-show-efficacy

This should give you a little bit of hope. This guy is a longtime professor of immunology at one of the finest universities in the world, and he says a vaccine is looking very promising and could have results as early as next month. That would be unprecedented in terms of vaccine development.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1437 on: May 03, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »

That would require approximately 4900 deaths a day for the next 58 days, which is very unlikely to happen.

With a significant amount of states reopening despite their cases rising, I'm inclined to agree. It'll likely be more.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1438 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-03/pompeo-says-enormous-evidence-links-virus-to-wuhan-laboratory

the Chinese gov must pay!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1439 on: May 03, 2020, 11:24:43 AM »

I just went for the weekly grocery shopping and was happy to see that supplies are improving.  Some products still don't have full shelves, but pretty much everything had *some* presence, even toilet paper.  This includes some items I haven't seen for weeks, such as liquid soap refill bottles and fresh garlic bulbs.

On the down aide, the proportion of customers wearing masks seems to be down from the last few weeks.  Maybe 40% were masked, and many were ignoring the one-way aisles (which might be accidental, as it's new for this store and only marked on the floor at the end of each aisle).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1440 on: May 03, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »

How is it in Australia?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1441 on: May 03, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »

How is it in Australia?

I'm not worried about me. I'm worried baout my girlfriend in Oklahoma.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1442 on: May 03, 2020, 11:40:04 AM »

I'm guessing this was the worst case scenario of whatever model this is.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1443 on: May 03, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1444 on: May 03, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »

Honestly, the best thing I've done for my mental health is to start audibly say "What an idiot" whenever I read an alarmist take that makes no sense. It's easy to worry and think about worst-case scenarios like that, especially if you have a naturally depressive mind. We've got to start aggressively discounting bad-faith models that seem to aim to scare people more than anything.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1445 on: May 03, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »

The Coronavirus Is Rewriting Our Imaginations
argaret Thatcher said that “there is no such thing as society,” and Ronald Reagan said that “government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” These stupid slogans marked the turn away from the postwar period of reconstruction and underpin much of the bullsh**t of the past forty years.

We are individuals first, yes, just as bees are, but we exist in a larger social body. Society is not only real; it’s fundamental. We can’t live without it. And now we’re beginning to understand that this “we” includes many other creatures and societies in our biosphere and even in ourselves. Even as an individual, you are a biome, an ecosystem, much like a forest or a swamp or a coral reef. Your skin holds inside it all kinds of unlikely coöperations, and to survive you depend on any number of interspecies operations going on within you all at once. We are societies made of societies; there are nothing but societies. This is shocking news—it demands a whole new world view. And now, when those of us who are sheltering in place venture out and see everyone in masks, sharing looks with strangers is a different thing. It’s eye to eye, this knowledge that, although we are practicing social distancing as we need to, we want to be social—we not only want to be social, we’ve got to be social, if we are to survive. It’s a new feeling, this alienation and solidarity at once. It’s the reality of the social; it’s seeing the tangible existence of a society of strangers, all of whom depend on one another to survive. It’s as if the reality of citizenship has smacked us in the face.

As for government: it’s government that listens to science and responds by taking action to save us. Stop to ponder what is now obstructing the performance of that government. Who opposes it? Right now we’re hearing two statements being made. One, from the President and his circle: we have to save money even if it costs lives. The other, from the Centers for Disease Control and similar organizations: we have to save lives even if it costs money. Which is more important, money or lives? Money, of course! says capital and its spokespersons. Really? people reply, uncertainly. Seems like that’s maybe going too far? Even if it’s the common wisdom? Or was.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1446 on: May 03, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »

It's always about him.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1447 on: May 03, 2020, 12:51:09 PM »

It’s more possible than people think, keep in mind someone who said that 50,000 Americans would die from this at the end of April would have been called an alarmist back in March. I still think our (very weak) social distancing measures will help, and that number will be closer to 200,000. It still would be a tragic loss of life, but better than the worst outcome imaginable.
Luckily for us, Remdesivir and a possible vaccine may bail out the American people who have failed in the face of crisis.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1448 on: May 03, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar