COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:39:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266018 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 22, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »

The Homeless in NYC are taking shelter in the Metro stations

If only they could get temporary housing where they could be accommodated and accountable for.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »

The virus apparently causes blood clotting. In at least one young patient, the first symptom was a stroke. NY doctors are now prescribing blood thinners as standard care.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-blood/alarmed-as-covid-patients-blood-thickened-new-york-doctors-try-new-treatments-idUSKCN22421Z
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

The virus apparently causes blood clotting. In at least one young patient, the first symptom was a stroke. NY doctors are now prescribing blood thinners as standard care.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-blood/alarmed-as-covid-patients-blood-thickened-new-york-doctors-try-new-treatments-idUSKCN22421Z

Yes this was witnessed in many patients where they're getting a lot of little clots.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #403 on: April 22, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »

How many symptoms does coronavirus have? I've heard of at least a dozen or more different, unique symptoms at this point. This seems like the mother of all viruses.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #404 on: April 22, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »

566 new deaths in Italy today.  One week ago, this number was 578.  Two weeks ago, it was 542. 
They've been in lockdown for more than 6 weeks now.  If is was truly working, shouldn't we be seeing a steady decline in this number by now?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #405 on: April 22, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

Now that Republicans got what they wanted from the latest stimulus bill filling back up the PPP funding:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-states/mcconnell-says-he-favors-state-bankruptcy-over-more-federal-aid-idUSKCN2242U7

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday opened the door to allowing U.S. states to file for bankruptcy to deal with economic losses stemming from the coronavirus outbreak that are punching big holes in their budgets.

McConnell, in a radio interview, said Republicans would not support giving state and local governments more money in future coronavirus aid legislation, saying those funds could end up being used to bail out state pensions.

Speaking on the Hugh Hewitt syndicated radio program, McConnell said he instead “would certainly be in favor of allowing states to use the bankruptcy route.”
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »

Latest update to my firms efforts to get funding to get us through. We're doing reasonably well, amazingly enough, due to having laid off most of our staff. The amount of work I have I had assumed would run out by the end of the week for about 3 weeks now. However, I think this week might be it.

We were approved for a significant SBA loan, but the key word here is loan. This is not a PPP loan which can be forgiven and covers payroll, rent, health insurance, and one other major thing I can't remember. Our application for a PPP Grant was, I kid you not, lost by the SBA we discovered yesterday. It was all so infuriating to learn that apparently since the SBA was receiving 800 applications per hour, the bank's merely cherry-picked the biggest companies to Grant loans to. So small firms like mine got screwed, while taxpayer dollars went to places like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Small business support indeed!

Anyway, Congress apparently appropriated more money for the program yesterday so we are back in line for a grant ( or as Mister reactionary blithely refers to it "welfare checks". Roll Eyes Awfully cheeky coming from a guy whose paycheck is entirely taxpayer-funded). In the meantime my wife and I may very well have to apply for unemployment this weekend. :Sad
The busboys and waiters and cooks at Ruth's Chris are going to appreciate getting paid, and hopefully having a job in a few months.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »

It's a minor miracle that the death toll isn't much much higher than it is, given how nasty corona is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »

It's a minor miracle that the death toll isn't much much higher than it is, given how nasty corona is.

This collaborates a suspicion. https://vimeo.com/402537849
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »

It’s funny how everyone is attacking only GOP governors.
Jared Polis is reopening tattoo parlors and nail salons and has yet to be the target of media outrage. It’s ludicrous.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »

Jared Polis is reopening tattoo parlors and nail salons and has yet to be the target of media outrage. It’s ludicrous.

Polis is a businessman Smiley so he understands how important Reopening The Economy really is Smiley Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #411 on: April 22, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »

566 new deaths in Italy today.  One week ago, this number was 578.  Two weeks ago, it was 542. 
They've been in lockdown for more than 6 weeks now.  If is was truly working, shouldn't we be seeing a steady decline in this number by now?

It looks like worldometer may have been momentarily reporting an incorrect number.  It's now reporting 437 deaths in Italy today, which would represent decent progress.  I apologize for the earlier apparently erroneous post.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: April 22, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »

You know a lot of these posts belong on the other international thread
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #413 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »

When do you think such facilities ought to reopen? I certainly agree that they shouldn't be part of "Phase 1", however you wish to define that. Mid or late May perhaps?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #414 on: April 22, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »

This collaborates a suspicion. https://vimeo.com/402537849

The virus is literally SARS--people would've taken this a whole lot seriously and we wouldn't be where we are now if it had been referred to such since the beginning rather than an essentially meaningless catalog term. Not saying this to refute the suspicion but in agreement that this virus is far worse than most people are treating it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #415 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 02:29:58 PM by Forumlurker »

When do you think such facilities ought to reopen? I certainly agree that they shouldn't be part of "Phase 1", however you wish to define that. Mid or late May perhaps?
I say when daily cases begin to go down to around 100-200 per day on a 5 day average/and we have conducted over 10,000 tests per 1M Statewide (we are extremely close), we can start reopening them with safety precautions.
If by some misfortunate, these two don’t happen by May 20th, I would reopen these facilities anyways.

Obviously it’s different for Colorado than for a larger State.
I also would be perfectly okay with Polis allowing rural counties to have more leeway as long as they have testing capabilities. I just can’t fathom the idea of hair salons reopening in the Denver Metro-area this early. I hope our local officials take some extra measures, but I am not so sure what the tri-county Health department will do at this point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #416 on: April 22, 2020, 03:05:10 PM »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #417 on: April 22, 2020, 03:13:37 PM »

I say when daily cases begin to go down to around 100-200 per day on a 5 day average/and we have conducted over 10,000 tests per 1M Statewide (we are extremely close), we can start reopening them with safety precautions.
If by some misfortunate, these two don’t happen by May 20th, I would reopen these facilities anyways.

Obviously it’s different for Colorado than for a larger State.
I also would be perfectly okay with Polis allowing rural counties to have more leeway as long as they have testing capabilities. I just can’t fathom the idea of hair salons reopening in the Denver Metro-area this early. I hope our local officials take some extra measures, but I am not so sure what the tri-county Health department will do at this point.

Here in Oregon we're playing it on the other end of the spectrum. The state can test about 10,000 people per week and we haven't had 100 new cases in a day in several weeks (we're averaging around 50 a day in the last week). About 95% of our tests are coming back negative (one of the highest in the country). And we're still not even considering opening anything for a couple more weeks, probably closer to a month. And it will be a slow multiphase roll out when things are relaxed.

I can totally understand why we're being cautious, but wow it will be a while.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #418 on: April 22, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

Interesting opinion piece from CNN: When Denver backed off social distancing in the 1918 pandemic, the results were deadly
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:31 PM »

History really repeats itself here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »

Here's a good question - How do these protest to re-open fit in with the Republican saying "All Lives Matter"?

"Sick and old people should just stay home."

Plus "fears of Coronavirus are blown way out of proportion by the media", and don't forget "the cure is worse than the disease!"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Latest update to my firms efforts to get funding to get us through. We're doing reasonably well, amazingly enough, due to having laid off most of our staff. The amount of work I have I had assumed would run out by the end of the week for about 3 weeks now. However, I think this week might be it.

We were approved for a significant SBA loan, but the key word here is loan. This is not a PPP loan which can be forgiven and covers payroll, rent, health insurance, and one other major thing I can't remember. Our application for a PPP Grant was, I kid you not, lost by the SBA we discovered yesterday. It was all so infuriating to learn that apparently since the SBA was receiving 800 applications per hour, the bank's merely cherry-picked the biggest companies to Grant loans to. So small firms like mine got screwed, while taxpayer dollars went to places like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Small business support indeed!

Anyway, Congress apparently appropriated more money for the program yesterday so we are back in line for a grant ( or as Mister reactionary blithely refers to it "welfare checks". Roll Eyes Awfully cheeky coming from a guy whose paycheck is entirely taxpayer-funded). In the meantime my wife and I may very well have to apply for unemployment this weekend. :Sad

Hang in there, Badger!

Thank you, ma'am. But you've helped remind me that I have my health, and with that perspective I really don't have that much to b**** about. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 04:02:50 PM by PQG and Libertarian Republican will pimp slap Coronavirus! »

The busboys and waiters and cooks at Ruth's Chris are going to appreciate getting paid, and hopefully having a job in a few months.

Yes, and I don't begrudge them that. But you utterly missed the point of my post. Is that being that the fast overwhelming majority of applicants being small and otherwise profitable businesses like myself, which cumulatively employ far more people then larger businesses like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, may not be able to keep our own staff having a job for the sole sin of not being a large business yet.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »

This isn't true - Polis is reopening, but taking a phased approach. Colorado isn't going full Georgia
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »

This isn't true - Polis is reopening, but taking a phased approach. Colorado isn't going full Georgia

I have a terrible feeling that "going full Georgia" is going to become a common saying in a not-good way.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies